Rugged low-speed lamps like "alley lights"

Hamilton Felix

Enlightened
I'm interested in some inexpensive little floods for offroad work, not to be used as fogs. I subscribe to Hilldweller's philosophy that if I'm using it out in the brush it's probably going to get whacked by a limb before it's very old.

I see a jillion of 'em for sale at Amazon, but are there any favorites? I want to be able to see to the side before I turn in that direction, and to be able to work around the truck. When you are maneuvering a full sized pickup in the woods at night, it seems there's always a tree you are about to clip or a log to back into. I do not like bluish light. I could probably use some leftover halogen floods and be happy with their light, but I think the LED cubes would be more compact and use less power.

I was thinking about mounting something on the front brush bar, but I need a headache rack anyway, and I think I'll mount some little cubes on that, sort of like cop cars mounted "alley lights," but with a downward angle and flood beam. Again, these are NOT to be used on public roads, only in the woods, and mostly on my own property. It seems I often make runs across the field to the little log barn that's in the woods, then load or unload in the dark.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Best 3" LED cube brand for off-road and fog lights

When you are maneuvering a full sized pickup in the woods at night, it seems there's always a tree you are about to clip or a log to back into.

Even very rugged lamps will have a hard time dealing with a log, but I'd suggest using floody tractor work lights, since it seems you want a good overview of everything around you at low speeds without a retina searing hotsptot. Maybe even getting a few of the same model of cheaper ones just so they're easy to swap out on the exiting mounting bracket.

The same floodiness to help you see the area while driving also makes it better for use as a scene light and also slightly less retina-searing than a spot would be should you happen to glance at it. Probably will end up getting a pretty high-CCT one nowadays, but maybe some MetalCast Yellow or an old Roscolux gel over the lens could help attenuate the blues.

Last edited:

Hamilton Felix

Enlightened

Hey, that's a better approach! ;) The application is very low speed or stationary, so beginning my search for "tractor floods" and "agricultural work lights" should get me a better selection.

I did recently accidentally stumble across a moderately priced PAR36 LED bulb that's not blue.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FQ4O758/?tag=cpf0b6-20

There are probably others in this family. Instead of the spiffy little cubes presently in vogue, sticking with a PAR36 in a rubber housing could be beneficial when I bump one and need to change out a bulb.

Thanks (and thanks for making this another thread with an accurate subject heading).

Last edited:

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hey, that's a better approach! ;) The application is very low speed or stationary, so beginning my search for "tractor floods" and "agricultural work lights" should get me a better selection.
What you described as your needs seemed to call for that sort of lamp, by both pattern and ruggedization.

I did recently accidentally stumble across a moderately priced PAR36 LED bulb that's not blue.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FQ4O758/?tag=cpf0b6-20
Interesting! Looks like glass, too, so they'll fare better in the sun. And if you MetalCast them you can get a good yellow light that's even less glaring than before.
(I support Payne County Youth Services-- who do you support?)

Instead of the spiffy little cubes presently in vogue, stickng with a PAR36 in a rubber housing could be beneficial when I bump one and need to change out a bulb.
The rubber housing might soften the blow enough to preserve the lamp, even.

Thanks (and thanks for making this another thread with an accurate subject heading).
Helps keep everything organized and easy to search on.