HDS Help

XD9

Enlightened
I have an old HDS EDC Basic XR 42 GT.

It went bad. Fist was the Power button and now something up at the driver or LED.

Does anybody know how to take this lights apart? I can see that somebody attempted to take the driver apart in the past so it looks like its possible....

pc_light

Enlightened
Henry of HDS may still be willing to service his original lights if that's something you're interested in. For anyone who's try to get a light serviced that's the beauty (and price worth paying) of EDC lights.

If however you're interested for DIY sake, although it's been a while as I recall aside from some mild locktite (if any) the parts pretty much unscrew apart. Then the the prize inside is this -
GFIDx9i.jpg

I've put an XM-L in one and a Nichia 219C in another and they are simply marvovous. Easily 2-3x the output with creamy white tint!

EDC B60 -Before, w/Lux ................................................................After w/Nichia 219C (original driver)
isXLnJb.jpg

Good luck with mods... (we have to stop meeting like this :wave:)

Last edited:

XD9

Enlightened
@pc_light.... Well... I got curious :p
I took it a part... I am glad I did.... Henry would have just sent it right back to me if I had sent it to him for service... :eek: This light was modded by the previous owner.... The Emitter was a disaster and was half way loose on both sides -/+ and cause some sort of burn....
I am now searching for an emitter that will fir this light.

Thanks for the tips you have given me!

pc_light

Enlightened
XD9, as for finding an emitter that will fit, since the EDC was custom designed for the Luxeon emitter there really isn't anything off the shelf of which I am aware. For my mods I would up fashioning something out of a trimmed MCPCB with shims underneath.

I don't have any photos but think old air force insignia, with a large round center and two narrower rectangles coming off of each side. Then I used some copper shims under the cut-down MCPCB to get the height right for the reflector/focus, and to provide a thermal path for the emitter heat. My modding objective when it comes to old classics is to always leave it as original as possible; otherwise one could just bore out the pill and drop an off the shelf Cree MCPCB.

Without seeing the previous mod I suspect it ran afoul of the circuit trace hazards from trimming and the emitter got shorted. When trimming the MCPCB one must be mindful of any exposed circuit trace edges on the board; in particular any shorts between the +pos and the MCPCB aluminum/copper board itself. We're talking fractions of a millimeter separation that are easily accidentally bridged/shorted. In addition to avoiding cut circuit trace edges as much as possible, I always insulate any trimmed edges with epoxy, such as used for re-coating circuit boards, as an added precaution.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast

XD9

Enlightened
I found this: https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10001118/1096601-ssc-seoul-p4-u-bin-sw0-bare-emitter
and
This: https://www.led-tech.de/en/Seoul-3-5W-Emitter-P4-Version-kw

Thoughts?

Here are some pics of what is left..., The Driver is Stock... The LED seem to be a Seoul P4 upgrade I think... I might not have much choice but to try and just replace it with what it had... I might find me a local machining shop that can build me a similar base but with a slot for an up to date emitter.... Thoughts on that idea? :D

20180119_143258.jpg

20180119_143152.jpg

pc_light

Enlightened
Those two Seouls are previous gen tech. I'd go latest 3V tech to get the best efficiency bang for the buck.

If you're willing to go to a machine shop route, rather than the expense of fabricating an entire new base it might be cheaper/faster to bore out the base to fit the currently gen of round Cree MCPCB's. The outline you want bored is already showing on the base :wink:

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have done plenty of these and usually went with a Nichia or Cree LED on an 8mm board and machined a copper shim for the best focus.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ichia-219C-D320-5000K-3M-glow-tape&highlight=

As pc_light said, I would not go with the Seoul LED, especially the P7. That LED is huge and would require a modified reflector and the base.

Most of the Seoul LEDs I had used or seen were usually on the cooler side of the tint spectrum and some were very blue.

Last edited:

XD9

Enlightened
@pc_light and Nitroz thank you both so much!

Is there a specific way to take the driver out or just pull it out?

TIA!

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
@pc_light and Nitroz thank you both so much!

Is there a specific way to take the driver out or just pull it out?

TIA!

I heat the pill where the LED is usually mounted and the potted pill slid out fairly easily.

XD9

Enlightened
To All a million thank you! :bow:

All done. Now to get this base bore!