Recommended bulbs

strumf666

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

First a general question, why not have a sticky with a recommended bulbs for various type; H7, H3,...?

Second, I am looking for a bulb recommendation 9011 HIR1 (HB3, high-beam application) and D2S (low-beam). I live in EU, so my options are a bit more limited then in US.

Last edited:

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
First a general question, why not have a sticky with a recommended bulbs for various type; H7, H3,...?
Typically the best bulb of those types has stayed the same, more or less, changes do occur.

Additionally, there's more to making your lamps safe or safer than just putting the best bulb in, such as being sure the lamps are in good condition and the wiring is OK. It's too complex a topic to be a sticky.

Second, I am looking for a bulb recommendation 9011 HIR1 (HB3, high-beam application) and D2S (low-beam). I live in EU, so my options are a bit more limited then in US.
What do you drive, and *where*?

strumf666

Newly Enlightened
Just a thought, if there was a sticky containing a list, I wouldn't need to make a topic.

Subaru outback 2008 road use.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Subaru outback 2008 road use.
The "where" really meant which country, but that's OK. You've identified the bulbs you want, but it's harder to determine if you can get the recommended ones where you are without much difficulty.

For a vehicle that old, even in in northern latitudes, the lenses may have significant degradation. It's important to note that by the time degradation is visible to the naked eye, there's a large change in a lamp's performance, but lenses that old may be well beyond acceptable limits. The reflectors (even within projectors) suffer the effects of time and use, as well. If the lamps are still in good condition, or have been replaced with genuine OEM parts, a solid choice for the D2S would be this one, if you can get it in your area.

The Philips HIR1 offerings should be pretty widely available, but do need a base modification to go where the HB3 ordinarily fits. This is a straightforward description of how to do that base mod. I usually use toenail clippers, myself.

strumf666

Newly Enlightened
Slovenia.
I will take a look at the headlights. Just recently bought the car so I can't really judge if the brightness has degraded; considering the (long) lifespan of xenon it is possible the bulbs are as old as the car, which probably means they aren't nearly as bright as they should be?
Osram nightbreakers are available locally :)
Phillips HIR1, unfortunately not; HIR1 are almost impossible to get locally, (probably) the best I could do is VOSLA or Osram HIR1 from amazon.de. Not sure abouth the VOSLA brand though.

Last edited: