Replace my SF Titan...Clicky?

Ncgamedog

Newly Enlightened
First off...hello! My first post here.
Backstory? I integrated a single AAA torch to my EDC (read pocket) about two years ago.

As a mechanical engineer, I need a quality light on my person all the time.
I need to look into machines and such regularly. I tried larger lights like my Fenix UC40 UE.
While I LOVE that torch, it was just too cumbersome to keep on me.

i did a fair amount or research on small lights and decided on the SureFire Titan.
Deciding factors were quality, durability, and simplicity. It has been a fantastic light.
it has faithfully ridden in my front pocket along w my Spyderco Dragonfly and a pair of nail clippers
for two years without fail. The light shows a little surface wear, but not nearly as much as I would have expected.

However, the twist activation is beginning to be glitchy and annoying. I never invested in the eneloop batteries, primarily bc batteries are free at work. Doesn’t give me the warm fuzzies to be wasteful, but...

Other things I’d entertain improvement on are the twist function and light levels. Thinking I might be more of a “clicky” kind of guy. Albeit, not at the expense of Long term durability. I do like the brightness levels of the Titan, but a third mode would be nice at times. The flood to throw balance is good for my uses, but a bit more throw would also be welcomed when taking the pup out at night.
One feature I have found in only one light of this class so far is USB micro recharging. I love that abt my Fenix.

Im more likely to engage that vs having an independent charger for batteries like an eneloop set.
Although reading some of the run times you guys are getting from them, does seem to make it seem easily manageable.

TAKE HOME: I have narrowed it down to 4 lights. Priorities being toughness and quality, followed by output (lumens) then high CRI. Modes of L= 1-5, M= 25-75, H = 120+ Would be ideal for me. I’m also open to other suggestions.

1)
AAA Copper Nichia 219 Flashlight by Maratac ™ REV 4 - Quality??

2) UltraTac K18 v2017 - Love that it comes w USB charging + Clicky

3) ReyLight Pineapple mini Nichia - intrigued by the high CRI

4)
ThruNite Ti3 NW Mini XP-G2 - seems to check a lot of boxes for the $

Thanks for reading the long wind. What would you guys recommend to replace my Titan?

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would go with a Zebralight SC64 Series flashlight(I recommended the SC64w).

An unprotected flat top Panasonic/Sanyo NCR18650GA for the battery.

And, an Xtar Ant MC1 Plus for a small and simple USB charger.

Ncgamedog

Newly Enlightened
I would go with a Zebralight SC64 Series flashlight(I recommended the SC64w).

An unprotected flat top Panasonic/Sanyo NCR18650GA for the battery.

And, an Xtar Ant MC1 Plus for a small and simple USB charger.

Thank you for the feedback and suggestion!

That is an amazing rig. While that seems like a very compact torch for the 18650 class, I'd be concerned that the bulk of that size would keep me from wanting to carry it daily. Seems like it aligns with my Fenix UC40 more than my Titan.

The power delivered from 18650 and industry focus on that cell is certainly noted, just not sure that's what I'm looking for ATM.

The leap in perfomance does make me more inclined to relax my criteria to be more open to 10440 options

Skaaphaas

Enlightened
Have you had a look at the Olight S1R?

They are small enough to disappear in the pocket but pack a substantial punch with enough modes for decent everyday use.

I'm pretty infatuated with mine (S1, non-rechargeable model).

Ncgamedog

Newly Enlightened
Well FWIW I ended up purchasing an UltraTac K18 v2017 due to the 10440, clicky, and charger included. I do like those features, but I am disappointed with the XP-G2 S4 emitter. It looks completely purple compared to my SF Titan. The "370" lumens do not appear twice as bright as my Titan's lowly 125. Good news is, it was cheap. I do wish I'd have gone with something that had the Nichia emitter. I don't know what emitter the Titan has, nor can I find it in searching, but it seems to have a higher CRI.

I think I will try the ReyLight or Maratac now

Flint Hills

Newly Enlightened
Well FWIW I ended up purchasing an UltraTac K18 v2017 due to the 10440, clicky, and charger included. I do like those features, but I am disappointed with the XP-G2 S4 emitter. It looks completely purple compared to my SF Titan. The "370" lumens do not appear twice as bright as my Titan's lowly 125. Good news is, it was cheap. I do wish I'd have gone with something that had the Nichia emitter. I don't know what emitter the Titan has, nor can I find it in searching, but it seems to have a higher CRI.

I think I will try the ReyLight or Maratac now

I'm like you and don't like the bulk at work when I'm wearing slacks. I carry a Lumintop Tool titanium with the Nichia. You should definitely give them a look, they are fantastic. They're available in aluminum, titanium and also copper and brass from Massdrop, all with Nichia.

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
One fairly simple idea:
Wrap 1 complete turn around the Titan's threads with teflon tape. I do this with all my small lights to prevent the head from accidentally coming off, as well as smoothing out the "glitches". Assuming this works(and it has on a number of my lights), the Titan goes back in your pocket as a backup. As you will hear repeatedly here: "two is one and one is none".
Have you considered the Jetbeam/Nite Eye/Sunwayman lights like the Sunwayman V11r? They can operate on a CR123/16340 or AA or 14500 batteries? They have a variable magnetic control ring that lets you have infinite adjustability by turning the ring...of course
The 300 Lumen Titan Plus is an attractive option too...or the Surefire Sidekick...

HaileStorm

Enlightened
I'm like you and don't like the bulk at work when I'm wearing slacks. I carry a Lumintop Tool titanium with the Nichia. You should definitely give them a look, they are fantastic. They're available in aluminum, titanium and also copper and brass from Massdrop, all with Nichia.
+1 on this. I love mine so much that I ordered a second one, a copper Tool this time with a Nichia. I've never bought the same light twice so I guess that says a lot about the Tool.

You can actually order the Tool and lego it with other lights too. Not sure of this'll work with the Titan's head but it's worth trying. I also ordered a Thrunite Ti3 to lego with the Tool so I can have a firefly mode and a clicky. The head of the Ti3 looks identical to that of the Tool's.

Lumineux

Newly Enlightened
Well if you like USB recharging, how about a Rofis R1 (CR123A & 16340) or the upcoming Rofis R2 (AA & 14500) ?

Or maybe a rechargeable Olight.

These are quality lamps, which should tick several boxes of yours. They feature magnetic tailcaps which may be very handy if you want to stick your lamp on the machines you inspect. And the Rofis add a rotating head on top of that, again very handy depending on the situations you find yourself in.

The downside however is these lamps may be lacking in CRI since they don't feature Nichia emitters.