Converting 2/4/6D maglites to rechargeable torches

paul hardwick

Newly Enlightened
I have a reasonable mechanical workshop, and had 25 years repairing TV's etc so i have done some maglites that run on 18650 batts, i have had to retire early through ill health and am thinking of making some of the mod kits for maglites, does anyone do any kits?? if so how much do they charge??
Thanks Paul.
PS I will put some pics up of the mod kits i make

archimedes

Flashaholic
Hello and welcome to CPF

Your post above has been approved

If you search around CPF, you will find many of these (including pricing info)

In fact, for quite a few years, these were the most common hosts modded ....

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Welcome to the site.

Do you speak of a light that can be charged with battery inside? A rechargeable "pack" outside the light?

Currently folks use rechargeable cells in their typical battery charger and place them charged back into the light inside of a space filling tube of some sort.
I believe a battery pack of some sort would be well received. Especially if a USB cord can be used.

Last edited:

david57strat

Enlightened
I would be very interested in what you come up with, for a conversion kit for the 6D. I was kind of thinking of using a pair of 26650 batteries for it (and spacers/sleeves, or whatever), but am completely open to 18650 use, as well. I've gone with Tenergy Centura D NiMs for both of my 2D lights, and they're working out well. They're car lights (that don't see a lot of use, either, with on-person or bag-carried EDC lights being used, first).

Unlike Mr. Fixer, I do not like the idea of using proprietary batteries, or using battery packs in a flashlight. It's kind of a deal breaker, for me. I think USB charging is way too slow, and I prefer to have individual access to the battereis of multi battery lights, and being able to charge them individually, at will, whenever I please, immediately replacing the depleted batteries with fully charge ones, in the meantime. I have plenty of decent chargers, so that's not an issue.

This is the only light I have left that's still running on the dreaded, under-performing alkaline batteries. I hate alkalines with a passion (and haven't bought any, in years), and I almost never use this particular light (since it was replaced by numerous 18650 lights; but it would be nice to use it with more serious batteries, even if only from time to time.

rzsxSFy.jpg

At the moment, it's fitted with a TerraLux 1000 (LED) lumen conversion module that my folks gave me, several years ago. I subsequently replaced that cheesy plastic lens with a nice Borofloat lens (No more plastic for me, folks).

I will look forward to seeing your future pictures and posts! Welcome to the forums :)

Last edited:

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
Hello, and welcome from another Maglite enthusiast. I like collecting Mags for the nostalgia factor, and using them as backups, but for lighting stuff up, I use my other more modern multi-mode single & double 18650 lights.

I just got the Malkoff 325 Lumen mag upgrade, 3 – 6D, and Tenergy rechargeable NiMH cells for my backup Mags.

There's a youtube vid that compares 5 different LED mag upgrades.

Good luck with your project. There are lots of knowledgeable folks on the forum.

JT

david57strat

Enlightened
Hello, and welcome from another Maglite enthusiast. I like collecting Mags for the nostalgia factor, and using them as backups, but for lighting stuff up, I use my other more modern multi-mode single & double 18650 lights.

I just got the Malkoff 325 Lumen mag upgrade, 3 – 6D, and Tenergy rechargeable NiMH cells for my backup Mags.

There's a youtube vid that compares 5 different LED mag upgrades.

Good luck with your project. There are lots of knowledgeable folks on the forum.

JT

Plus 1 on the Tenergy cells!

3RorOYI.jpg

I picked up Malkoff's 270 lumen XP-G R5 for my old 2D Cell, a while back, and it's absolutely excellent. Their stuff is rock solid.

I have the M361 400 lumen 3-mode XP-G2 R5 drop-in in one of my P60 hosts, and again, superb build quality and reliability.

Qo8mTwV.jpg

I wish all P60 drop-ins were built as well as these.

Last edited:

paul hardwick

Newly Enlightened
I have been making the system were you remove the batteries and charge them them in a suitable (Nitecore) or similar charger,i have made a 6 cell for myself were you plug a lead into the butt cap, but it is a lot more difficult to do this. I think the USB is a non starter as they dont really supply the amount of current needed, i have just got from postie a new 2 cell one this morning so i am going to be working on that, in the next 24/48 hours i will try and post some pics of the torches and mods i do.
Paul
PS Thanks for the kind welcome to the forum

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
To use 2x18650 or 3x18500 cells, Magfire was offered long ago.

4x26500 or 5x26500 M*g bodies are available
here.

2P18650 and 2P/2S 18650 M*gs are available
here.

And if you search, you will find many many more.

Last edited:

paul hardwick

Newly Enlightened
A 2 D cell i modded this morning, using 1 by 18650 battery in the nylon sleeve and a suitable sized M6 bar as a spacer, it works a treat

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
@Paul, That sounds like a cool light. I'm interested in seeing the conversions you come up with. I've gotten some nice vintage C and D mags lately, and may upgrade some. I was not able to view your pics. That same photo site started giving me major problems last year. I think they want paying users. I dumped them for imgur.

@fivemega, That machine work looks awesome. I'm fairly new around here, and hadn't seen them before. I'll have to start saving $$.

@david57strat, Do you have a '57 Strat? I'd rather see that than the maglite. :eek:oo:

JT

Last edited:

paul hardwick

Newly Enlightened
Just had the 2 D cell one to bits i will try and fit 2 18650's it may need the spring shortening though

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that a 3 D cell maglite modded to hold 2x 26650 batteries in parallel, with internal charging, would be a fantastic mod...
A custom charger that topped out around 4.1v with a vehicle charging cradle, it would never run down and the batteries would last a great many charging cycles.

Last edited:

GasganoFJ60

Newly Enlightened
I'm glad I'm not the only one who writes dates and numbers their cells to keep track of performance.

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
What kind of stock tube works as a 26650 battery spacer instead of a D? And will it fit into a C?
Spacers might be easy to 3D print, too. Need to know the OD & ID.

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of the first Maglit mods was 2D Maglite which is using a 6AA-to-2D adapter. I think that could also be considered as alot of people already have widely available AA-batteries at home.