Man bites iPhone battery and it explodes

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast
You'd think by now we'd have heard all of the foolish ways that people can abuse Li-ion batteries. But no - foolishness has no bounds. Below we have a runner-up for a Darwin award for the most foolish Apple bite (or most explosive Apple logo performance?)

A recent news report shows an explosion caused by a customer "testing" a replacement Apple iPhone battery by biting it. It is speculated that he did this to test its authenticity (a la biting into gold). Luckily no one was seriously injured - which is surprising given the proximity of the explosion to a couple faces (see the linked video).

So now we know that replacement iPhone cells may fail the "tooth penetration test". Or maybe they pass but he was drooling too much at the thought of the 100000mAh Ultrafire replacement?

Moral of the story: don't leave phone batteries in places accessible to a curious pet or toothing child. As the video shows any biting could cause an explosion that could lead to possible injuries or fires.

Last edited:

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place wher
I'm more surprised that his lungs and mouth are in tact after exposure to those fumes. While I generally don't wish ill on people, the morons of this planet need to be...reformed. ahem. Ever notice how the biggest idiots avoid death like water slips off oil? Maybe mother nature is trying to use our species' morons to rebalance the rest of the human population.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Moron indeed...plain and simple.

People are biting tide pods and other insane objects these days. It is a tribute to the intelligence of people these days. I can't wait until someone does the eye-drop challenge with crazy glue.

markr6

Flashaholic
Geez stupidity right up there with "accidental" shootings. Immediately followed up with "I didn't know it was loaded" or "I thought the safety was on".

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
The guy's lucky he didn't get any mercury or gold fillings melted in his mouth while getting electrocuted as well. That's a good way to blow your head off. I'd watch out for future terrorists biting batteries as improvised grenades in the future.

noboneshotdog

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love how casually everybody responds after the explosion as if nothing happened. Nice.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a friend who works in product safety design. He once told me that they spend a lot of time brainstorming how someone could "stick their fingers in the fan" and never EVER say "yeah, but nobody would ever do that...."