2AAA Maglite vs 2AAA Streamlight durability

tokaji

Newly Enlightened
Today my 2AAA Streamlight Protac gave up. It just broke into two.

Here it is next to my AAA Maglite. Both were used by me for the past 2-3 years in the same industrial environment I work. Both were dropped to the ground from various heights thousand times, maybe the Maglite a little bit more, because it just keeps rolling down from every surface. Usually, when dropped, the Maglite arrived to the ground with its side, and the Streamlight with its head.

H4r8t3D.png
H4r8t3D.png
https://pasteboard.co/H4r8t3D.png
https://pasteboard.co/H4ra0P1.png

carrot

Flashaholic
That's a real shame. Is the head normally joined to the body by threading? Have you tried contacting Streamlight?

Ironic too, considering I was just thinking last night that my Stylus Pro is probably one of the toughest lights I own by dollar value.

tokaji

Newly Enlightened
Yes, it seem the head is joined by threading. It broke off just below the threads.
No, I did not contact with Streamlight yet and probably I won't contact with them, because this Protac got so many abuse during work that maybe it is normal for this thin aluminium to break. I'm sad a little bit, because this was my perfect work light (Hi+Lo mode+strobe, 2aaa, pocket clip, anti-roll head, glass window, regulation). Maybe I will buy the newest model (130 lumen version), and will carry it more securely. The little Maglite seems bombproof.

I do not have a Stylus Pro, but as I see in the pictures, it is more durable than the Protac, because of the smaller head. I think the Protac has a heavy head for this thin body, that is not good thing when dropped.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Definitely contact Streamlight. They'd probably like to know this can happen for future designs.

Streamlight has a "failure is not an option" base of customers for the ProTac series. So it sounds like you were able to find a weak spot in the design and your input may just help someone down the road.

The Stylus Pro carries more like an inkpen where the ProTac just feels more burely. It is better balanced probably due to a lexan lens and thinner head. It seems to pretty much be a 2 cell Microstream.

Last edited:

tokaji

Newly Enlightened
Streamlight answered nothing to my email since then. I just bought a Peli 1920.

ArazelEternal

Newly Enlightened
Ouch.... that looks so painful. I have that same light, but the newer, updated one with 130 lumen output. Its a great little light. Maglites have always seemed to be indestructible.

Dicaeopolis

Enlightened
I like my made in California Maglites. I just bought a 3 C cell gray Maglite today, while I was in Home Depot. Less than $20 and a very nice looking light. It is strictly head twist and has an 18 hour run time. I still have my first 4 D cell Maglite I bought as an incandescent years ago in a Hardware Store. I used it at work for through a couple winters with many drops and it never failed me. I can't comment on Streamlight because I have never owned one. I really like the Malkoff MDCs that are similar size and smaller, depending on battery choice (compared to the two you mentioned here). They do cost more though. I don't believe he has any AAA, but does have some AA that may fit your needs. I constantly drop the one I use at work, but that runs a rechargeable 16650.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Streamlight answered nothing to my email since then. I just bought a Peli 1920.

Pelican makes good stuff too. Hope you get good service from it. Never have tried the 1900's mah-self, but I like their 2350 and 60. Big beefy double A goodness at a good price.

The 47 lumen Mag Solitaire is on clearance all across the US. But you're in Hungary.... dratz!!!!
For such a small light, you get a modern brightness, that's genuine with the same reliability Maglite is famous for.

Last edited:

GasganoFJ60

Newly Enlightened
I like my made in California Maglites. I just bought a 3 C cell gray Maglite today, while I was in Home Depot. Less than $20 and a very nice looking light. It is strictly head twist and has an 18 hour run time.

The 3 C you got is the ML25T, I assume the LED version. I really like mine. some will say the beam is too "ringy" but I think its got a wide beam and got great distance. It'll shine light on the neighboring house across the pasture surprisingly well. I got it mainly for the almost novelty function of the twist switch like the MiniMags. Ive got it loaded with 3 4xAAA adapters running Eneloops.

tokaji

Newly Enlightened
So far, the Peli 1920 serves its purpose very well. Measured with Fluke 87V, it draws 950mA from Duracell Ultra Power AAA, around 900mA from Müller Alkaline AAA battery on high, and around 90mA on low, but one of the Müller battery failed. [Müller Alkaline and Varta AAA/AA batteries are considered unreliable at my workplace. These batteries fail very often, dropping their open circuit voltage from 1.4V (almost new) to around 0.4-0.6V from one moment to another. Lidl Aerocell and Duracell batteries are considered as durable batteries.]

Pelican makes good stuff too. Hope you get good service from it. Never have tried the 1900's mah-self, but I like their 2350 and 60. Big beefy double A goodness at a good price.

The 47 lumen Mag Solitaire is on clearance all across the US. But you're in Hungary.... dratz!!!!
For such a small light, you get a modern brightness, that's genuine with the same reliability Maglite is famous for.

tokaji

Newly Enlightened
Compared to the Protac 2AAA 80 lumen:
- the on/of button requires a lot less force to press
- it has momentary on, and the modes are well timed, it is easy to get into low mode
- it has no strobe, which I miss a little bit
- the pocket clip does not slides up in the way of the tail cap when I screw on the tail cap
- the O-ring around the tail cap does not move away from its place when I unscrew the tail cap, no need to adjust it
- it is thicker and just as well slippery, but the grip is ok
- the batteries are rattling around in the barrel, it is funny
- it has a plastic window not a glass one
- it seems brighter, it has white light, projected to a wall, the beam is a tiny bit fuzzy around the middle, not noticeable in real life
- as far as I know, this is a not regulated light
- feels and seems durable, even the tail cap itself
- the pocket clip slides on easily onto shirt/lab coat pocket
- the writing on the barrel "Peli 1920" is upside down
- the switch rubber boot and the window can't be individually unscrewed

I like this light.

How do you like it in terms of operation?
How's the on/off button feel? Do you like the grip?
Stuff like that...

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Glad to hear the 1920 suits the needs. Hopefully that one will last a good long time too.

Pelican is often overlooked. They started not long after Maglite by making dive lights in California. At some point they branched out into a sort of Streamlight direction. Lights for all kinds of specific purposes. And in the days when Pentagon Lights were still around they shared some of the inner workings like switches and bulb modules. They still make dive lights.

These days their lights are made overseas and in general are not user serviceable. I suppose their thinking is to replace them under warranty? Easy enough for some, but in Europe and other parts of the world that's not such an easy thing.

Maglite may be stuck in a time warp in some ways, but at least you can buy parts for them and fix it yourself.