I think I might be looking for a light that doesn't exist?

tobylazur

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I'm brand new to your forum, and I'm really hoping you guys might be able to find a light I'm looking for.

What I'm looking for, is a light that can change modes without having to click through them. I'm not sure if it's a separate button, or a bezel you twist.

The perfect light would have a bezel you twist to go from high to low (with the light on of off), with no strobe modes, and no memory.

Does this exist?

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out Malkoff Devices. While he does make some multimode lights, most of his product line features a "high/low ring" that allows you to toggle between high and low by twisting the head. You can select your mode whether the light is on or off. No strobe, no memory.

You might also consider Elzetta. They offer a "high/low" tail cap which serves the same function.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Yes, these do exist, and several have already been mentioned above.

There have been others, too, but this UI (user interface) is indeed one of the less common types.

KuroNekko

Newly Enlightened
Another one that may fit the bill is the Smart Ring Tactical (SRT) series from Nitecore. They use a neat magnetic ring that allows you to ramp up or down the brightness of the main emitter seamlessly to find exactly the output you desire. It's literally a notch-less dial for the brightness at the base of the flashlight's head. The other modes are notched and include strobe, SOS, and other colors on many SRT models but it's not like you need to even access them if you rather avoid them. I believe the SRT6 is a single emitter flashlight that won't have the additional colors you don't need. The Smart Ring allows you to find the output you want and turn on and off the flashlight with the separate tail button. It's an excellent user interface in my opinion and the Nitecore SRT7 is among my favorite flashlights that I own.

A good friend of mine came over and I showed him my collection of flashlights and the one he was most impressed with was the Nitecore SRT7 I have. He really liked the Smart Ring interface and stated he's going to get an SRT7GT for himself soon.

tobylazur

Newly Enlightened
Wow, this forum delivers!

I guess I have a few options to look at. I'd really like something that took AAs, and I don't need too many lumens. 200-400 should be plenty.

Bazar

Newly Enlightened
I believe the Fenix TK series does this. My TK11 did, anyway.

The tk75 and tk32 are not.

The olight Javelot mx2 UT and mx3 UT also twist head to turn modes. I had problems with mine though and I will never buy a twist change mode again, but several Nitecore lights use a ring to select modes, and some Acebeam flashlights. I can't imagine a purpose for this, but whatever you like.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
The tk75 and tk32 are not.

The olight Javelot mx2 UT and mx3 UT also twist head to turn modes. I had problems with mine though and I will never buy a twist change mode again, but several Nitecore lights use a ring to select modes, and some Acebeam flashlights. I can't imagine a purpose for this, but whatever you like.

Some people, myself included, enjoy the simplicity. The problem with your Olights certainly does not predict the behavior of every device that uses this UI.

Phlogiston

Enlightened
I seem to remember reading that Surefire had a patent on "twist to change mode" UIs, which they threatened companies like Fenix with. If that's true, it probably explains the rarity of this UI, and it would be a shame.

I have some old model Fenix lights that change between two modes by twisting the head slightly, and I found it to be a nice, clear UI. Loose for low, tight for high is very easy to remember; it was good for non-flashaholics.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Wow, this forum delivers!

I guess I have a few options to look at. I'd really like something that took AAs, and I don't need too many lumens. 200-400 should be plenty.

Minimag Pro.

It's kinda humorous that these days folks can say "oh, I'd like 200 or so lumens from a AA flashlight" and can get several choices. Just a few years ago the replies woulda been "man, you've flipped your lid, that aint possible". lol

tobylazur

Newly Enlightened
Minimag Pro.

It's kinda humorous that these days folks can say "oh, I'd like 200 or so lumens from a AA flashlight" and can get several choices. Just a few years ago the replies woulda been "man, you've flipped your lid, that aint possible". lol

It's funny to think i thought a 6 cell maglight was amazing, then i got a 50lm two cr123 light that blew it out of the water.

Now i see hand held stuff and i think "i don't really want that much output."

archimedes

Flashaholic
Hello,
I'm brand new to your forum, and I'm really hoping you guys might be able to find a light I'm looking for....

.... Now i see hand held stuff and i think "i don't really want that much output."

:welcome:

You are moving along the path rather rapidly indeed ... before long, you may ask yourself, why DO I need all of these lumens ... and you may find yourself, using moonlight modes ... and you may tell yourself, firefly output IS beautifully efficient for dark adapted vision ....

(with apologies to David Byrne)

:D

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
I didn't see anyone mentioning HDS Systems. They have a rotary flashlight that allows you to select from a large range of settings when the light is on or off. No Britney's memory as it always goes by the position of the rotary knob. They are available using several different batteries and several different LEDs.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
:welcome:

You are moving along the path rather rapidly indeed ... before long, you may ask yourself, why DO I need all of these lumens ... and you may find yourself, using moonlight modes ... and you may tell yourself, firefly output IS beautifully efficient for dark adapted vision ....

(with apologies to David Byrne)

:D

Well? How did I get here?

You may say to yourself My Gosh! What have I Done?!?

Last edited:

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't see anyone mentioning HDS Systems. They have a rotary flashlight that allows you to select from a large range of settings when the light is on or off. No Britney's memory as it always goes by the position of the rotary knob. They are available using several different batteries and several different LEDs.

The price of an HDS is a little daunting to a new flashlight enthusiast, but I will happily go on the record stating that buying my HDS saved me money. I had been spending $40-$60 on a new flashlight every month or two, but once I got my HDS, I stopped buying EDC flashlights for 7 years!

Seriously, I bought my HDS in 2010 and didn't become interested in a new EDC light until the end of 2017. I'm enjoying my new lights, but the HDS is still my favorite.

--flatline