Flashlight for Adjusting Brake Fluid Level on a '17 Alfa Romeo Giulia.

jzchen

Enlightened
My wife leased a new '17 Giulia back in December. I found it strange that after carefully adjusting tire pressures like I usually do that the front left tire would increase using the TPMS display, as compared to the front right. I looked in the engine compartment and saw the turbo near the left front strut tower, and surmised that it was heating things up. Then yesterday I started checking the fluid levels. Coolant reservoir was a little high, so I siphoned some off. Then I saw that the brake fluid was overfull up to the base of the filler neck. I searched online possible consequences and found that it's possible that with heat and thermal expansion it could press the pads against the rotors, and made the connection that overfull brake fluid might be heating the front left up. (Front left is the shortest line from master cylinder to a caliper, which would make sense that it would start there/less fluid to heat up). I started to siphon it out, but due to internal baffles and new brake fluid I can not see the level well. I used an LED flashlight to shine upon the reservoir and still had difficulty seeing where it's at. It looks like some chambers are still completely full while the area I'm able to siphon is just under maximum now. Then it dawned on me, that the LED might be limiting my ability to see. (To be honest I don't even know what CCT/CRI and all those acronyms mean, but I'd like to get this resolved if I can on my own. I guess I could help her take it back to the dealer she got it from, but the one technician that they have for the Alfa Romeos is probably the one responsible for it being overfull). So, is there a non-LED flashlight, somewhat small, that I can readily get, (maybe at a local Walmart for example), that will help me illuminate it better? Most flashlights available now are LEDs....

Thank you so much for all the help over the years, and for reading this!

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
I'm moving this to the Recommendation subforum and added 'Flashlight' to the title - it sounded like you needed help with the actual maintenance before. Perhaps a mechanic can suggest a good flashlight for working on your car.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
See-ing clear liquid isn't an easy thing, yet if a light offers too much light at a given area it just gets worse because the subltely required is overwhelmed.

The light that would work best is one that spreads light very evenly and subtley. They are called COB lights. "Chip on Board", which is a bunch of tiny LED's in a series known as an array.

They are usually a pocket clip type that has a yellow rectangle shaped emitter on one side.
They won't throw light more than a few feet, especially in your driveway in daytime, but for close up work that is a great choice.
The auto parts section of WalMart has a brand called hyper tough. They have a COB model. Nebo has one sold at Batteries Plus Bulbs. I think it's called 'little Larry'. Sears has a Craftsman version too. They usually have a magnet somewhere on them to stick to metal while not is use or potentially create a hands free lighting tool.

IMG_20180128_103006.jpg

A typical COB work light.

I tried an incan mini mag on a cup of water just now and my COB. The COB was much better at spotting the top of the water level. The cup was an opaque white likely similar to your fluid resevior. The mini mag won't bad at all. But the COB in my kitchen lab (lol) worked better.

But it sounds like your main issue should be checked by a professional as there is likely something amiss in your hydraulic system.

Last edited:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
My wife leased a new '17 Giulia back in December

A new car = it's under warranty. So the one and only correct answer to the problem is to say to the dealer, "The car's broken. Fix it." Either they'll succeed or they'll fail. If they succeed, you're done. If they fail a certain number of times (check your state laws) the car's a lemon and they legally have to unwind the deal one way or another.

Also, "I can't check the brake fluid because my flashlight doesn't put out the right kind of light" isn't a real thing, except among people who get off on spending unusually large amounts of time and money mooning over flashlights. Normal people are at a disadvantage that way -- they don't even know they have to buy special flashlights that put out special light specially optimized for checking brake fluid, so they just barge right ahead and use the flashlight they have, and they think it works, because they think they can see the fluid level, and...well, isn't that tragic? I think it is. And it's completely preventable, that's the really sad part.

Also, "I don't even know what CCT/CRI and all those acronyms mean", well, see here and here. Neither term has anything to do with your TPMS/brake/car problems, though.

Now: it's January 29th. I'm headin' out to do my monthly check of my Explorer; hand me my oil-checkin' light. And my coolant-checkin' light. And my tire tread-checkin' light. And my floormat-vacuumin' light. I'll also need my window-wipin' light, and my ashtray-emptyin' light, and my coffeecup-discardin' light. LOL

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wife leased a new '17 Giulia back in December. I found it strange that after carefully adjusting tire pressures like I usually do that the front left tire would increase using the TPMS display, as compared to the front right. I looked in the engine compartment and saw the turbo near the left front strut tower, and surmised that it was heating things up. Then yesterday I started checking the fluid levels. Coolant reservoir was a little high, so I siphoned some off. Then I saw that the brake fluid was overfull up to the base of the filler neck.
That's a lot of work you're doing on a lease. There should be plenty of maintenance included with that lease, and your dealer or the manufacturer oughta be making this right for you. And should you happen to break something that could be considered a violation of the lease terms.

I started to siphon [brake fluid] out, but due to internal baffles and new brake fluid I can not see the level well.
It's better to flush the system with new brake fluid and bleed the brakes to get it to the correct level than to try to remove it from the top, but that's just the "I don't want air in my brake lines" part of me.

Again, this is a car well within warranty, and this is a life-critical safety item that shouldn't be messed with without the right knowledge.

Then it dawned on me, that the LED might be limiting my ability to see.
Light is light; and liquid is liquid-- liquids usually make it easy to see their level with light because the meniscus itself usually is very distinct when the light hits it correctly, no matter what the SPD, CRI, or CCT is.

I guess I could help her take it back to the dealer she got it from, but the one technician that they have for the Alfa Romeos is probably the one responsible for it being overfull).
The technician most likely reports to the service manager. Talk to the service manager. She's got a vested interest in making sure every customer is satisfied and her employees are doing their job correctly. You shouldn't let one technician stand between you and your wife's satisfaction with her fancy new car, whether she purchased it outright or is leasing it.

So, is there a non-LED flashlight, somewhat small, that I can readily get, (maybe at a local Walmart for example), that will help me illuminate it better?
Yes. I'm still not sure why you're set on an incandescent, though.

Last edited:

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
You may have a chance if you put the flashlight directly against the lower part of the reservoir.

but, I would contact the Alfa service manager as mentioned above. Mention the words "safety issue".
I'm certain they will make it right. Don't forget to get a loaner, not a rental, to use while it is being repaired.

Just out out of curiosity, i googled 2017 Alfa Giulia brake problem.
there is a recall due to contaminated brake fluid. They should take care of you quickly.
enjoy.

Last edited:

jzchen

Enlightened
Thank you everyone for the replies. After being moved to a different sub forum I have to actually search for threads started by me to find this, so this one kind of got lost.

I was able to successfully remove some brake fluid until the level dropped to within the hi and low markers.

Did the incandescent bulb help? Seems to have. I was hoping the higher CRI would help me see the meniscus better, but maybe I just found a better place to shine it which showed it better. That particular flashlight was somewhat dim, and maybe that helped not wash everything out as well...

I posted on the Alfa forums what I found, and hope it helps someone with a hot front driver wheel....

bbltint

Newly Enlightened
Make sure your flashlight is not made in UK.
British and Italian electronic devices in the same engine compartment sounds like a :poof:

:grin2: