Mora Firecraft. The Ferro Rod.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I am going to do a few threads on Mora Firecraft methodologies. I am no expert of anything so keep that in mind. Just showing what works for me. This series will include different methods of getting and sustaining flames using a Mora knife. I am practicing skills. My advice is to always pack an actual fire kit which includes multiple means to start a fire and tinder. Here are the Mora knives.

XjVQNIW.jpg

1. Mora #2
2. Mora #1/0 (discontinued some years ago)
3. Mora 2000
4. Mora LMF

This is probably the easier of the Mora firecraft methods so it's a good place to start. The Mora #2 is stock. I have several. It's unfinished spine makes for a very poor ferro rod striker. The Mora 2000 has a rounded spine and is nearly impossible to toss a spark from a ferro rod. The #1/0 has 1/2 of it's spine filed flat. The LMF comes that way intentionally. Both are fantastic strikers. Take note one is stainless and the other high carbon steel. Both are equally good at tossing a spark. On a side note there is no law against using the blade edge if yea really really really have to. Obviously the spine is better but it's not the end of the world if forced to use the blade. Mora knives are easy to sharpen.

VTQeOY9.jpg

I am going to use the #1/0 as occasionally carry it as an UL neck knife.

tIS6D0M.jpg

Part of the rules beyond the obvious requirement of using a Mora knife is I must gather what is needed from nature. As this is really just basic ferro rod methodology I will be looking for tinder. I could make wood shavings or feather sticks as well but have so many easy to find options. Then again I know what to find because of practice. The time to practice these skills are before they're needed.

Looking for Yellow birch by a small river. I intend to take the hanging bark which will not harm the tree. The bark contains hydrocarbons and as such has great potential energy.

h4PgVhy.jpg

MZLfalH.jpg

Tulip Polar bark is good. Knowing what's in your environment helps but generally things with similar properties often preform similarly.

egp575G.jpg

Hanging Beech leaves. Leaves on the ground this time of year are horrible as tinder. In fact often that's the case in my AO. These leaves are another story.

62Q0Rfw.jpg

This looks like Goldenrod. It should work just time.

voV1vRr.jpg

The tinder ready to go.

WWO8cNW.jpg

In the video I ignited all the tinder to show the process of using a Mora knife as a ferro rod striker. To start the fire going to use Yellow Birch bark. It is hydrocarbon rich so in many ways could be considered both tinder and kindling.

JJo9i05.jpg

GO! Action shot of the ignition.

RTXP1pJ.jpg

Fire.

tIKJMaZ.jpg

Time to cook the sacred bacon.

b5TOCiR.jpg

btBBTLX.jpg

zuMeMxA.jpg

Mora knives makes for very good ferro strikers. Here is a video. Thanks for looking!

nbp

Flashaholic
I was out Geocaching the other day and found this in the tall grass; must have fallen out of someone's sheath. As a knife guy, finding a knife that isn't total garbage was pretty awesome! That said, it's only a $15 or so knife so it will be perfect for beating on. Time to get out my ferro, I haven't practiced in a while. :)

IMG_4761_zpsabqqg2jj.jpg

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I was out Geocaching the other day and found this in the tall grass; must have fallen out of someone's sheath. As a knife guy, finding a knife that isn't total garbage was pretty awesome! That said, it's only a $15 or so knife so it will be perfect for beating on. Time to get out my ferro, I haven't practiced in a while. :)

IMG_4761_zpsabqqg2jj.jpg

Mora companion is a nice knife. I have two. Put a file to the spine as they tend to come a bit rounded. Scandi is easy to sharpen free hand with sandpaper.