SIDE button on/off 1000 lumen? No frou-fou!

Bryanska

Newly Enlightened
I'm a home inspector who needs help.

I turn my flashlight on and off 150 to 200 times a day. Tailcap switches are my nemesis because lifting my arm 150 to 200 times a day adds up, and my elbow and thumb begin to complain. It's far easier for me to use a simple side button switch.

I don't need fancy pants foofery like strobe, SOS, and fifty damn levels of brightness with half-second presses.

Right now I'm using an Energizer Hardcase Task Light, which is a 2-AA rubberized light with 250 lumens on high and 100 on low. I see other inspectors light the attic with 1,000 lumens and that looks awesome.

tuf2aape428493b4cdeb699ca6d0ff1600a518b3.png

However, you are going to hate me. I believe flashlight ergonomics were just fine before "tactical" lights. I remember the world before everyone wanted to look like a cop. It was a world where a tiny flick of the wrist directed light to anywhere you needed; no giant body movements were required. It was a world in which people just wanted to shine a light on something.

I want a SIDE button that makes the light go on and off. I'm OK with 2 or 3 levels of brightness IF I can simply click the button to turn the flashlight on and off. If there's a tailcap I need it to switch modes only.

- Side button, dammit
- Approx 800-1000 lumens on high, need a 500-lumen mode too
- Any battery is OK
- Prefer a smaller flashlight if possible
- Budget up to $100
- Flood is OK, don't need a super tight beam
- Zoom is a bonus

Is there a place in this world for a grumpy home inspector who got around just fine before tailcap switches?

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Nitecore EA11/EC11 is right up your alley. It has the standard Nitecore two button side switch. They do have multiple output levels, and the strobe, SOS, and beacon modes are on a side menu that takes a special sequence to turn on, so they are out of the normal mode sequence. They also have mode memory, so that the last mode is the one that comes up again when the light is turned back on. The EA11 is dual fuel, in that it can work with both a regular AA cell of any flavor, or a 14500 cell. If used with an AA cell, the max output is only 200 lumens instead of the 900 available with a 14500 cell. The advantage is that AA cells can be found pretty much anywhere if the need arises, and some light is better than no light. The EC11 uses a single CR123/16350/18350 cell, and has the same max output of 900 lumens. They both come with a very nice holster with a captive belt slot and a velcroed MOLLE strap for flexibility. I carry mine on my belt, and usually don't even know it's there. Best of all is that the MSRP is ~$65, and it can usually be found for ten to fifteen dollars less.

I assume you carry extra cells now, and that practice would continue with either of these lights. There are a lot of low-cost quality chargers that you could take along in your vehicle so you could have cells being recharged while you are working. The only drawback is that some vehicles require the key switch to be other than off for the power socket to be live.

When I am not going to be using it for a while I do do the quarter turn of the tailcap to stop any parasitic drain. In your case I don't think that would be necessary due to the amount of use you would probably be putting it through causing a cell swap long before parasitic drain could cause a problem

bmengineer

Newly Enlightened
The Olight S2R should fit the bill. Single click to on, click again to off. From on or off you can double tap for turbo, and from off if you hold the switch it comes on super dim for moonlight. It also has a magnetic tail if you need to free up your hands, and comes with a battery and built in charging.

If you really want zoom, the Wowtac A3S has a side button - but I have no idea how the modes work, so I can't be of much help there.

maglite mike

Enlightened
Maglite ml 150 would fit the bill. 1000 lumens is overkill for home inspections. If you want a budget light the gets the maglite ml300 or ml50. Both plenty bright and run on alkaline batteries.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
and run on alkaline batteries.
Though the OP probably -shouldn't- run on his business on alkaline batteries. Alkalines are good in a pinch to keep the business running but he should invest in some solid rechargeable with a spare set or two in a vehicle based charger. It'll cost less in the long run AND cuts down on a lot of nasty waste.

As to the actual question, I briefly did "precision measurements for estimates" for a big box chain and got a feel for what home inspectors are trying to see/evaluate. While I don't think 1000 Lumens is especially overkill (some of those attics and basements... ugh) I do remember that 300-500 Lumens did a fine job of covering everything I was worried about. What was more important was a reasonable broad spot which allowed you to see a "swath" but also helped to focus your attention to one section at a time. After the 4'th or 5'th inspection it could become a challenge to keep taking in the details.

Fenix makes a few models that might make the OP happy (PD35, UC30), or maybe one of the smaller lights I've reviewed recently which are pretty amazing when coupled with the 14500 rechargeable batteries.
  • Jetbeam E10R (If used with the 14500 cell, you can recharge via USB in the light)
  • Thorfire TK05 (button easier to find, cheaper light in case you lose it)

Or if you want something a bit larger, the older but still awesome Sunwayman D40A might fit the bill.

(links are to reviews I've done of the lights)

Last edited:

bwalker

Newly Enlightened
ThorFire TK15. Uses a single side switch and has four preset brightness levels (50, 200, 600 & 1050 lumens) plus a hidden 1 lumen "moonlight" mode. Has mode memory so it will turn on at the last used brightness setting. It runs on a single 18650 cell. Regular price is $23 but is occasionally available for a discount. It sounds like it is just what you are looking for.

maglite mike

Enlightened
Though the OP probably -shouldn't- run on his business on alkaline batteries. Alkalines are good in a pinch to keep the business running but he should invest in some solid rechargeable with a spare set or two in a vehicle based charger. It'll cost less in the long run AND cuts down on a lot of nasty waste.

As to the actual question, I briefly did "precision measurements for estimates" for a big box chain and got a feel for what home inspectors are trying to see/evaluate. While I don't think 1000 Lumens is especially overkill (some of those attics and basements... ugh) I do remember that 300-500 Lumens did a fine job of covering everything I was worried about. What was more important was a reasonable broad spot which allowed you to see a "swath" but also helped to focus your attention to one section at a time. After the 4'th or 5'th inspection it could become a challenge to keep taking in the details.

Fenix makes a few models that might make the OP happy (PD35, UC30), or maybe one of the smaller lights I've reviewed recently which are pretty amazing when coupled with the 14500 rechargeable batteries.
  • Jetbeam E10R (If used with the 14500 cell, you can recharge via USB in the light)
  • Thorfire TK05 (button easier to find, cheaper light in case you lose it)

Or if you want something a bit larger, the older but still awesome Sunwayman D40A might fit the bill.

(links are to reviews I've done of the lights)
the maglite ML150 is rechargeable.

arKmm

Enlightened
Streamlight Stinger HL, or if you want smaller the Strion DS HL.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Bravo Bryanska!!!
Great first post.

Yup, come in here and **** off the experts right from the jump...
Nah, just kidding. Your question is one asked by tons of people at job sites galore. Sliding switches always were and still are my favorite way to operate a simple tool called a flashlight. Ah... the good ole days... when you pushed a plastic switch forward on your chrome'd Rayovac, or Bright Star or BMG, then wack'd it against your palm to get all 22 lumens glowing brightly... then Maglite and SureFire screwed it all up...
The HardCase was a great retro type of light that's easy to handle and tough as nails (except for switches in some).

Yet with the options of 600-1000 lumens readily available there are few choices for what you seek, and that's a darn shame. Especially as small as you prefer.

I would reccomend you go to the Streamlight web site and check out their vast selection of lighting tools designed around various tasks beyond the tactical.
Another company that focuses on the "handyman" is one called Night Stick. They don't tout the most lumens like some but they are brighter than the numbers suggest.

The new Maglites are pretty good too.