modifying a Malkoff MDC head

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
So with experimenting, I managed to blow the driver from this E-series head, from too much voltage. I took the opportunity to tear it apart and toss a FET driver in. The biggest issue was removing the driver, as I didn't know if it was threaded in/ glued in/ press fit. I tried a few techniques, and ended up drilling a couple test holes in the edge of the reflector, to see if I could pull it all apart.
The bottom line is that there is a partition that the LED board sits on, with two small wires through down to the driver pill. Once I had the reflector out, it was pretty simple to lathe out the insides to fit a custom pill. I just made a simple aluminum pill, you can see it here, next to the original:

QlHNmF.jpg

0cy5Xq.jpg

I did have to make a different battery spacer. The Fivemega host body comes with one more suited to a standard SF head. You can see it here:

O0piKU.jpg

I think it turned out well, the Nichia 219c is a good replacement size-wise, so the reflector is pretty much as good as before.

e3Y4Hz.jpg

f3q9qr.jpg

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks PY, this turned out well. It is running TK's Bistro firmware on the MtnElec 15mm FET driver. I had the standard modes when I took the moonlight photo. As this is intended on being a WML, I just set it to 100%.
I may change out (very cool) RPM tailcap with a tape switch, but don't know of many options for this.
~D

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
A quick bump, if you're still subscribed, Dan.
I have a craving for an E series Triple. Do you reckon I'd fit one in there?
P

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Peter, I'm not sure. The ID would have to be at minimum 20mm to fit the optic and mineral glass. Plus, the available vertical space is pretty limited. Even if we could make one fit, it would have very small heat sink

Unfortunately I don't have that one anymore, ended up selling it a while back.

Does anyone here have a MDC head they can measure the OD? I'd estimate about 0.10" - 0.15" (about 2.5mm) less for the sidewalls. That should give you the available ID.

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dan, since this piece ended up in my hands (still in the drawer) would you help me out solving a mistery of the driver UI? Guppy, Bistro....?
Had a plan to send it to Tana to build LE similar to McGizmo. Rethreading of bezel is required in that case and LE with a bit different dimenssion than McG.