Small Non-Lithium Travel Light for Traveling Light

Fuchshp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good Morning

I have a HDS HiCRI 200 Rotary and am happy with it. Airlines have more and more restrictions on Lithium batteries. That's why I'm looking for a second flashlight for traveling. I can't find what I'm looking for. I hope you can help.

Here's what I'm looking for:
- Small size
- Alkaline or other non-Lithium battery. Preferably available in Africa/Asia too.
- Comes on in a low mode, preferably less than 5 Lumen.
- Hicri or neutral
- Reliable
- Good, simple design
- Tailstanding would be nice
- Somewhere around $200 is ok.
- Used is ok too.

What I already had in the past and didn't like 100% was:
- Fenix e05 (I don't know why)
- Peak eiger (beacuse of QTC, it doesn't stay on a brightness Level. Everything else was very good about the Peak eiger).

Thank you!

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you considered the Manker E02? It's a right angle light that has direct access to either low or the last mode used.

It available in high CRI Nichia.

It comes with both a removeable clip and a head strap for hands-free use, has a magnet in the tail and tailstands quite securely.

It runs very well on NiMh and also runs on alkaline AAA, but I've only used NiMh in mine.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whatever you get, go ahead and shave 13-15$ off of your overall budget and get a Thrunite Ti3, make sure you got the neutral version.

Two is one, one is none.
A cheap light that doesn't weigh anything, and works when you need it can't really be given a monetary value, these are cheap and reliable, available in neutral, come on firefly, and have good mode spacing and runtimes.

Add on an Olight UC universal charger for NiMH and Li-ion for another 10$,
and get a few AAA Eneloops,
and maybe a pack of AAA non rechargeable Energizer Lithium Ultimate batteries for a light weight, energy dense, non rechargeable backup to the Eneloops.

- don't use up the Energizers, hold them back. They're low mass and high energy, expensive, and they've got a 20+ year shelf life, they're the Deluxe backup for the Eneloops.

Take the Ti3 with an Eneloop in it, and the Olight charger, plus one extra charged Eneloop, and a non rechargeable Energizer Lithium Ultimate, and you've got a system that's going to work indefinitely so long as you can charge the Eneloops via USB.

For absolute lightest weight, just take the Ti3 with an Energizer Ultimate inside, or also with a spare Energizer Ultimate - non rechargeable battery... no charger, no Eneloops.

If you want a slick way to carry the batteries, look at Storacell on Amazon. A 6 cell caddy can be cut into a 2 cell and a 3 cell caddy, losing 1 cell in the chopping and sanding process, but you get a 2 AAA as well as a 3 AAA caddy out of it... play around with the 6 AAA caddy and you might agree that it's overkill for travel.

Last edited:

pomp92

Newly Enlightened
When travelling by plane I carry with me a Zebralight H52w, with a couple of spare Eneloop AA and the already suggested Olight UC charger. ;)
With current models you can choose what you prefer between SC53 (regular flashlight), H53 (headlamp style) or SC5 mk II(reguralr but bigger and brighter). Obviously you can also choose between cool, neutral or neutral hi-cri and if you prefere there are also the frosted lens versions. ;)

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Ti3 is so cheap that it's a fantastic light for the price, if I could only have one though, I'd take the Zebralight H52w as pomp92 recommended...

I'm thinking that the H53Fc is a home run hitter though, I've been switched over to 18650 for a while but I'm almost convinced to make the H53Fc my next light, seems almost like it might be the apex of AA ZL lights before Zebralight quit trying hard with AA, and focus more exclusively on Li-ion.

Everything I elaborated on about the batteries and caddies for AAA applies directly to AA as well, and the H52w or H53Fw.

You won't find better power to weight ratios in any other lights around without moving up to lithium ion battery powered lights, and then you're looking at Zebralight again.

I've never heard of any airline that wouldn't let you bring lithium batteries aboard btw, you just can't check them, gotta be carry on.
There's some generously high cutoff that might be a hassle for professional photographers or amateur battery powered ground penetrating radar operators, but the allowable limit of actual lithium is pretty high really.

Last edited:

Fuchshp

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd prefer AAA than AA for the size. The Manker fits the bill except for looks and probably reliability...

"I've never heard of any airline that wouldn't let you bring lithium batteries aboard btw, you just can't check them, gotta be carry on." -> I don't want to take the chance & give the HDS to security personnel.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd say Ti3 neutral or Zebralight SC53C. Zebra is AA but it's pretty darn small for that size battery.

archimedes

Flashaholic
I know you said you didn't like the Peak Eiger (although Peak will build a non-QTC fixed output version, if you prefer) , but my main travel flashlight is a Peak Logan (17500) for the main reason that it is very flexible for power source .... AA, AAA, CR123A, alkaline, NiMH, lithium primary, Li-Ion, whatever.

Plus meets all of the other criteria good for travel ... compact, simple, durable, reliable, and so forth.

mcorp

Enlightened
If brass or copper flashlight is your cup of tea, might want to check out the Prometheus Lights Beta QRv2 with the optional add-on Ti clip set. 3 modes (Low is ~1 lumen), 219b hi cri (like your HDS), runs on AAA (Jason includes a GP Ni-MH battery FOC) and all those for under $100 to get even more Eneloops/L92 batteries.

The review I did awhile back:
http://thelitereview.com/flashlights/prometheus-lights-beta-qrv2-brass/

Fuchshp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, Beta QR would be an option. Unfortunately sold out. Thrunite Ti3 is sold out too in neutral White.

I bought a Manker E02 in Titanium and a Manker E01. Not sure about the reliability though. I'd prefer a reliability like HDS. With most other lights I had failures. Except HDS and some older Surefires. Zebralight failed as well. I use my flashlight a lot. My wife uses hers a lot too and she has a HDS as well.

Fuchshp

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know you said you didn't like the Peak Eiger (although Peak will build a non-QTC fixed output version, if you prefer) , but my main travel flashlight is a Peak Logan (17500) for the main reason that it is very flexible for power source .... AA, AAA, CR123A, alkaline, NiMH, lithium primary, Li-Ion, whatever.

Plus meets all of the other criteria good for travel ... compact, simple, durable, reliable, and so forth.

The Quality of the Peak lights is very good. I had a Peak Eiger for some time as a travel light. If onyl the QTC would keep its brightness level. If it had two modes of ~1 and ~50 Lumen or something like this, it would be my light.

AA, AAA, CR123A, alkaline, NiMH, lithium primary, Li-Ion
interesting, how is that possible?

Fuchshp

Flashlight Enthusiast
It looks like the brass on the Logan ages beautifully. I always liked the look of Peak lights and the thick material they use. Maybe I'll give a way the two Mankers to children.

Fuchshp

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Logan is a lot bigger than a AAA light. Maybe I should try the Peak Eiger again? Maybe the Pocket version without the momentary switch shows has stable output?

How about the Muyshondt Maus? They say the battery lasts forever. I had a Aeon Mk III and it fell from my hand many times because of lack of knurling.

Keitho

Enlightened
In the western world at least, airline security can be unpredictable and unreasonable, but they won't confiscate an empty light. So, I'd stick with the reliable HDS with your favorite CR123, and take the small risk of having to buy another cr123 at your destination. 2 is 1, and 1 is none, so a good AAA or AA backup is always a good idea--I'm partial to tail standing AA headlamps for hotel nightstands.

archimedes

Flashaholic
The Quality of the Peak lights is very good. I had a Peak Eiger for some time as a travel light. If only the QTC would keep its brightness level. If it had two modes of ~1 and ~50 Lumen or something like this, it would be my light.

interesting, how is that possible?

Although cumbersome, you could have two different fixed output light engines built, say, a #1 and a #6, for the Logan.

The Logan 17500 tube will easily accommodate 14x50mm AA (with or without a spacer) or 10x44mm AAA (with spacer) or 16x34mm CR123A (with spacer) or 17x50mm ICR17500 (without spacer) ... and the "semi-regulated" Peak driver has a very broad voltage input range. More voltage = more output, and vice-versa.

It looks like the brass on the Logan ages beautifully. I always liked the look of Peak lights and the thick material they use....

Yes, Peak brass is beautiful, indeed ...

0XRox3p.jpg

The Logan is a lot bigger than a AAA light. Maybe I should try the Peak Eiger again? Maybe the Pocket version without the momentary switch shows has stable output?

In my opinion, they are pretty similar actually, and in any case both really compact ... hardly larger than the battery itself.

n1Hycpy.jpg

The QTC will simply not give you a solid stable output, however, due to the fundamental mechanics of its construction.

Fuchshp

Flashlight Enthusiast
The design and patina of Peak brass flashlights is really beautiful. Look at the light in the middle with a pocket clip. Found this on the internet.

ScottGabrielli-08719.jpg

Boris74

Newly Enlightened
When faced with this situation myself I take the Olight S1A with their UCC and a few white Eneloops. Them cells run it on high as long as a 14500 does and I never use turbo on it so I don't really need the 14500. Perfect size to run time to lumen ratio and it travels easy. Lots of aa lights these days eat up primaries fast. Not the S1A, it does just as good on them as the lithium rechargeables.

Fuchshp

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you had a choice between these two lights and money didn't matter, which one would you choose for my purpose?
- Peak Eiger Brass with HiCRI medium optic, momentary and prometheus clip.
- Muyshondt Maus Titanium.

Boris, the design of olight is not for me...

mcorp

Enlightened
The 2 lights mentioned are fed off 2 different types of battery.

Assuming you have no issues sourcing for N Cells (LR1) in Asia or Africa, the Muyshondt Maus Ti seems to be the clear winner for your intended usage.

Fuchshp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Availability in Africa/Asia isn't really important. Most of the time I stay only short time when I travel. One spare battery and everything is ok.