Plastic Body, USB Rechargeable, Zipper Pull LED

RedSquirrel

Newly Enlightened
Hi All, I know there's a form that we're meant to fill in but this is quite a general enquiry/recommendation request.

I'm looking for a small, plastic, USB rechargeable light that is small enough to go on a zipper pull and strong enough to withstand being used to pull the zip.

I am currently using a Fenix UC02 but the metal construction causes a few issues as a zipper pull;
1: it's a bit heavy so swings about loads
2: it bangs against my car each time I get in which is a nuisance
3: when the zip on my jacket is fully zipped up the torch has on a couple of occasions swung up and clinked against my teeth whilst walking!

All very first world problems I know! :D

I had a Nitecore Tube which I liked until the metal keychain ring snapped out of the plastic after about 10 months or so, meaning I lost it out and about somewhere.

I used to use a small Photon style LED which was a good weight, good size but only 1 output and sometimes I'd come to use it and it would be flat due to accidental activation so I like having the USB recharge feature so I can top it up at work etc when I feel it's running low.

I've ordered the Nitecore TINI but as it's metal I feel that will have the exact same issues as the current UC02. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance! :)

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Photons don't have the USB recharge feature, but the Photon I is press to use so you don't have to worry about accidental activations, and either the Photon Micro or the Photon Freedom have multiple modes and I believe a ramp level setting.

Have you looked at the Tip? I know it is metallic, but it has a much more substantial attachment point. What were you using to attach the Tube to the zipper? Unless you ware using some length of lanyard I can't see how one could have swung up and hit you in the mouth. I use a Ti split ring or a small locking aircraft cable loop, both of which I got at County Com

If you do get a Tip, get the CRI version, and if you plan on using the lockout feature make sure it is a 2017 Tip. The original Tips had a horrendous parasitic drain when locked out, which was fixed in the 2017 version. Lately I have seen Tips offered at reduced prices, but they are not 2017s. I believe sources are trying to get rid of any of the remaining original Tips the still have in stock.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
We need a 21st Century Photon ReX for this member.

A Photon II would also fill the bill, giving the option of a constant on that is highly unlikely to be accidentally activated. Just don't forget to turn it off when finished. A Photon Freedom has variable brightness and can be put in momentary mode, also making it highly unlikely to go on unintentionally. If this is a tool that is rarely used for more than brief moments, the battery will last quite a while, and probably be more durable as well as lighter than any rechargeable option. The Nitecore TINI and TIP CRI work just fine for our needs but the thin shell is aluminum. (A Yuji emitter Photon Freedom is on my keychain).
Thinking the TINI will suffice, though.

RedSquirrel

Newly Enlightened
I agree there's a requirement for a 21st Century Photon ReX! :D

The current UC02 is connected to the zip with a Niteize s-biner. It's also rattling off the car door so it can't be metal. Basically a rechargeable photon would be perfect.

I got my nitecore tini, it will have similar issues but perhaps not quite as bad. A plastic option is definitely preferable.