Surefire Fury 2018 dual fuel 18650/Cr123

Nichia!

Banned
I hope they come with good tint (without any purple, green or blue) just white light.

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
18650 handles current much better than cr123 and the fury has decent thermal mass so I wouldn't expect too much drop.

Nichia!

Banned
Well I (was) originally a Surefire guy before I make the move to malkoff and Zebralight, Lumintop, etc...

It is the only brand I can't resist! lol
My first HighEnd light was a Surefire! So I just can't resist them and the first reason that makes me convert to other brands is Batteries! So I had to find a brand that takes 18650/Rcr123 and I did and found Zebralight my best manufacturer now!

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I (was) originally a Surefire guy before I make the move to malkoff and Zebralight, Lumintop, etc...

It is the only brand I can't resist! lol
My first HighEnd light was a Surefire! So I just can't resist them and the first reason that makes me convert to other brands is Batteries! So I had to find a brand that takes 18650/Rcr123 and I did and found Zebralight my best manufacturer now!

Yeah, they make some nice lights. Unfortunately they tend to only be offered in greenish cool white. I hear some of the new models are a bit better though. The E1B MV, EDCL1-T, EDCL2-T, and Tactician are supposed to be descent and only have a hint of yellowish green. Keep in mind the tint lottery is always is play too so I am sure there is some variation between samples.

Yeah, it is nice to see SF offering more rechargeable options finally.

Zebralight is one of my favourites too.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
18650 handles current much better than cr123 and the fury has decent thermal mass so I wouldn't expect too much drop.

This is true, of course, but I'm still betting there is a significant step down up front. I say this for thermal reasons, if nothing else. On primaries, it is rated for 1200lm. This will require a massive step down inside of two minutes, lest the cells overheat.

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Surefire Fury DFT Tactical is now shipping from several suppliers, although it still hasn't been listed on the SF website.

Prices range from $149 upwards.

Listed as 1500 lumens from a 18650 battery (runtime of 1.5hrs) and 1200 lumens if powered by 2 x CR123a's (runtime of 1.25hrs).

Shows a beam of 300/270m depending on fuel.

I expect that there will be a dual output or IntelliBeam version available in the future.

s-l1600.jpg

JohnnyBravo

Enlightened
Ok. I might just want this one. Have not bought any lights for myself since the SF UM2 in November of last year. I like the simplicity of one mode and crazy firepower. Perhaps I'll get this in 2 months for Father's Day. I do happen to have an Orbtronic 3500 sitting around w/ nowhere to go...

cody12

Newly Enlightened
Did anyone noticed there are two different bodies for this light? in fact, the pictures in this thread are different. Look at the bezel. one is sculptured, one is smooth. Also, one light has a clickie switch, one is tactical(no click), depending on whos description you read.

JohnnyBravo

Enlightened
I much prefer smooth bezels. I do hope that is the case! Well, I'm continuing to sell off a bunch of lights at the auction site. Perhaps I'll have enough cheddar to make this light happen sooner. I think I'd just harvest the supplied CR123s for use in my UM2 and throw that 18650 in there day one.

carrot

Flashaholic
Did anyone noticed there are two different bodies for this light? in fact, the pictures in this thread are different. Look at the bezel. one is sculptured, one is smooth. Also, one light has a clickie switch, one is tactical(no click), depending on whos description you read.

Looking on B&H's site, it looks like there are two models, though both have the same smooth bezel in the photos:

- "FURY-IB-DF" which is 15/1500 lumens, IntelliBeam, $199, backordered at B&H

- "FURY-DFT" which is 1500 lumens, $179, in stock at B&H

Vinniec5

Enlightened
I received mine from B&H Friday and here's my report so far. The DFT Tactical in the package is the one on the right in the picture with the notched bezel, they are relieved and smooth like a slotted screwdriver and do not snag on clothing. Surefire CR123's are included, you will need to supply your own 18650. I already have SF18650s 2600+3400mah on hand. mine has a tactical clicky, which I like. it has enough travel that you can use it easily as a momentary switch without clicking it on. No problem there atleast for me as its just like my Peacekeepers.

As for brightness this is a beast, portable night-sun bright with a extremely noticeable difference from the peacekeepers in power, tint is sight purple with a nice hotspot and smooth transition to the spill. reflector is smoother than my Lawman and peacekeepers. Purple tint AR refective glass also like the Lawman-Fury P3Xs. Knurling is very grippy much better than the peacekeeper (my only real complaint about them).

Now for the manufacturing problem I encountered, when I tried to put an 18650 in mine it wouldn't fit, cr123s fit fine but not the 18650. First I thought I ordered the wrong light or was sent the wrong one but upon closer inspection of the tail end I noticed the thread protection/negative contact collar was pressed in cockeyed so that one edge instead of sliding fully down it was hung up on the inside of the battery tube and made the middle of the collar compress like a Ferrule/rivet and would not let the 18650 battery pass by. I fixed it easily enough with a tapered impact socket that fit in and gently tapped it down in place, problem solved. If Surefire used a 18650 sized Go-NoGo gauge that would have been spotted in a second. Since the cr123s slid right in no one noticed. This could happed on any light but I wanted to get it out there to give members a heads up.

I really do like this light and its a nice upgrade from the 600 lumen models

It would also be nice if SF started an upgrade program for The Peacekeepers/fury models. Maybe make the upgrade head 1200 lumens only so it wouldn't hurt Fury sales. We can always Hope

Last edited:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am more of a visual learner.. Both lumens wise and that 18650 insertion problem.

Can you fire it up next to a Malkoff Hound Dog or such. Or some other well-known reference. Like the 320 lumen G2x Pro for example.

Second question, do the lumens drop with time, after 10-15 minutes?

Last edited:

kssmith

Enlightened
Received mine today; 18650 fits; but will blink whenever activated and not actually turn on. So not sure if my battery is bad or not. I'm going camping so I will use it tonight and see how it works!

Nichia!

Banned
Received mine today; 18650 fits; but will blink whenever activated and not actually turn on. So not sure if my battery is bad or not. I'm going camping so I will use it tonight and see how it works!

Pics?

Latest posts