Chromebook Usage

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Anyone here have experience with a Chromebook? I have a laptop, but was considering a Chromebook to use for simple tasks like streaming and social media.

In particular, I'm considering the Samsung Chromebook-3 (XE500C13-K03US). It's an inexpensive, non-touch screen version, that has great reviews.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Yes, I have used a Chromebook, an older one from a different brand.

Depends on the exact specifics of what you want to use it for, but usually works well enough for most simple online tasks.

I think the main limitations, in comparison to a laptop include ...

• certain "plugins" may not work
• limited (onboard) storage
• web / browser / cloud "apps" only
• minimal functionality without connection

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agree with arch

Without reliable Internet, not good, but Google has applications that are useful. Our school is getting more and more Chromebooks because they are so much cheaper than MacBooks and iPads. Teachers like them.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Chromebooks are at this point tablets in a laptop case, and you're paying more for the case; look at the more popular, less expensive tablets which easily match the functionality of a Chromebook, but are much easier to carry/use and power, you can get the price down to $40 brand new..

StarHalo

Flashaholic
But I don't like having to carry a bunch of different parts ... :shrug:

No different parts, the tablet and keyboard are two sides to the same folio case. Since the keyboard is connected wirelessly via Bluetooth, you can remove the tablet and/or keyboard and continue using both. All smaller, lighter, cheaper than the Chromebook (the Chromebook also requires a proprietary AC adapter to charge which you'd have to have/carry with you, tablets and Bluetooth keyboards charge via standard MicroUSB; charge with any phone charger/in your car/battery pack/etc.)
w3KMUSL.jpg

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Chromebooks are at this point tablets in a laptop case, and you're paying more for the case; look at the more popular, less expensive tablets which easily match the functionality of a Chromebook, but are much easier to carry/use and power, you can get the price down to $40 brand new..
I'd be interested in hearing some recommendations, however, I'm leaning toward an inexpensive CB, because of the size, weight, keyboard, Chrome OS with ability to install apps from the Google Play Store, etc.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
It's to each their own. The Chromebook makes sense as a natural evolution of the old business computer design, except that you're not using it as a business computer; if you're leaving the house and are going to be in a waiting room for a while, you can just grab your tablet on the way out, carry on with your websites/book/movie while you're waiting - you're not going to ferry a three pound laptop just to do some online perusal. The Chromebook also has the venerable "webcam" camera if you just want low-angle selfies, but tablets include the usual front and rear camera array, so if you'd like to take some pictures while you're out, get some video, show someone what you're talking about, the laptop isn't set up for that.

I'd be interested in hearing some recommendations, however, I'm leaning toward an inexpensive CB, because of the size, weight, keyboard, Chrome OS with ability to install apps from the Google Play Store, etc.

Chromebooks start at the 11" screen size, which makes the smallest models ~ 12"x"8x"1, weighing in at just under 3 pounds. A 7" tablet is ~ "7.5x"4.5x"0.5, weighing 0.66 lbs. Adding a keyboard folo adds roughly a quarter inch around with 1" thickness.

A good name-brand tablet will have its own well-stocked and reviewed app store with as many options as Google's store, most of the apps will be the same.

The rules don't allow me to recommend the name-brand tablet that would fit you best, but unless you're getting a Chromebook for $40, it's substantially cheaper than anything running Google..

An 11" laptop vs 7" tablet:
GsIAnMe.jpg

Last edited:

bltkmt

Enlightened
I have had a Lenovo Chromebook for a couple years and love it. Very light, battery lasts a long time and fast enough for internet and email apps. I use it to log into work remotely via Citrix - no issues. Great machine for less than $250.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Thanks. I continue to love what I'm reading about the Samsung Chromebook-3 (XE500C13-K03US).

I can get it now for $199. I'm not really interested in a tablet or another full blown laptop. I think this will suit my needs, but I'm continuing to read about other options.