Single mode light find

gnappi

Newly Enlightened
I have a devil of a time finding single mode (on/off) flashlights and I prefer a single 18650 cell model that I can throw in my glove box, tackle bag, junk drawer... etc. I REALLY dislike 3 to 5 mode lights that I have no idea what mode was last used, and I especially dislike the flashing selections all made worse still be having to scroll through all 3/5 selections to get it to the one I will use next... the brightest.

Lights with multi mode last mode used memory and 2 modes (hi and low) are OK but are even more scarce than single modes :-(

So late last year I found the Comunite 501B (A re-branded Ultrafire) single mode on Ebay and I couldn't be happier with them. They're under $10 shipped, (with holster) and the tail cap spring and button easily accommodates shorter laptop cell pulls and they are very well made. So far I bought 5 and will likely get a few more for the shed, garage, and a few other spots for when (not if) my local power company Florida Flicker and Flash dumps power.

If you are looking for an inexpensive, well made single mode these are worth having.

tabetha

Newly Enlightened
I have recently got a Ultrafire WF501B for a little under £6, and totally agree with you they are simply amazing, I got this one for dog walking duties as the LED LENSER/s I had were useless this beats them so easily, of course it has no focus but plenty of spill any way.
The one I got is 3 mode, it has no mode memory and starts HIGH - LOW - STROBE, as it is only ever turned on and off it's always fully bright an added bonus is it can use flat top, or even recessed top cells as it uses a spring for contact at each end of the battery.
I have since had to order a few more for others, if they just had a USB slot for charging that would be perfect, I will be keeping 1 in my car to replace my Fenix P2D.
I see some Chinese sellers advertising 8000 lumens for these!!

Hudson456

Newly Enlightened
I prefer to spend a little more $$ and get gear that I know will stand the test of time.

For a single mode light there is nothing that beats a SureFire 6P with a Malkoff single-mode dropin like an M61 (W, N, L, or whatever you preference is). Total cost is ~70 bucks. 6P bodies can be had on Ebay for cheap if you look around.

Ultrafire is not bad for the amazingly low cost, but I have had them fail before.

poolman966554

Newly Enlightened
i have good stuff like fenix, but my daily beater is a ultrafire wf-502b host. When i loose it at work, im more pissed about the battery that was in it lol. My current light has been going for 3 yrs now.

that said, you can get single mode "p60" drop ins for it really cheap. a quick search, and i think this is single mode
xml2:
http://www.dx.com/p/ultrafire-cree-...-flashlight-silver-golden-213025#.WneJja6nGpo

and xpg r5:
http://www.dx.com/p/ultrafire-xpe-r...h-aluminum-drop-in-module-121722#.WneKrq6nGpo

Just giving options here!

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I understand how a cheap, single mode 18650 light may make some sense, but to me, I value reliability.
I have had cheap lights "fail" on me too many times and I can't stand it when something fails to work as it should.
My go to lights are mostly twisties, or surefires without clickies.
Give me an e01, a Peak Logan 17500, and a bored C2 with a single speed Malkoff and I'm all set.

gnappi

Newly Enlightened
Well, I have a nitecore SRT 7 that's a POS, there goes more $$ = "better"

For a portable device that withstands drops and possible harsh conditions the 501 lamps are pretty darn good. I have others with UV emitters for a long time now and they're fairly indestructible. And as other have said, easily and inexpensively replaceable.

I get the spend more, get more mindset, but it's not always true.

lightknot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer to spend a little more $$ and get gear that I know will stand the test of time.

For a single mode light there is nothing that beats a SureFire 6P with a Malkoff single-mode dropin like an M61 (W, N, L, or whatever you preference is). Total cost is ~70 bucks. 6P bodies can be had on Ebay for cheap if you look around.

Ultrafire is not bad for the amazingly low cost, but I have had them fail before.

Agreed!

anthon87

Newly Enlightened
you can use a Convoy S2+ sand, it has a programmable driver (biscotti) that you can set to have only one mode (100%). If you choose the 7135x6 it won't heat a lot and still have good output

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lumens Factory is still selling their Seraph 6 with a single mode XP-L emitter, in either Neutral White or 90 CRI Warm White. Rated output is 700+ lumens. It is a single 18650/2 CR123 light and comes with both tactical and clicky tail caps. It's a really nice light. With shipping it's ~$40USD.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Yes, these are nice. This one is in Ti, but otherwise is same design ...

KsejEv8.jpg

cp2315

Enlightened
Surefire g2x tactical or 6px tactical ( single mode) are good choices. They are not expensive either for what you get.

I am am surprised no one mentioned these yet

tabetha

Newly Enlightened
I don't agree with the spend more money get better quality, the LED LENSERS that I have are afflicted with faults, forgetting the mental battery they take AAA the light output/runtime ares awful but the clicky switch has failed on one, I found this out after a power cut when the light was glowing dimly flattening my batteries, despite being expensive they are unreliable junk, a real shame as optics and focus are ace, it would be nice IF paying more meant a better light but in my experience it doesn't.
ULTRAFIRE WF501A for me around £5 and better in throw and spill than lenser.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't agree with the spend more money get better quality, the LED LENSERS that I have are afflicted with faults, forgetting the mental battery they take AAA the light output/runtime ares awful but the clicky switch has failed on one, I found this out after a power cut when the light was glowing dimly flattening my batteries, despite being expensive they are unreliable junk, a real shame as optics and focus are ace, it would be nice IF paying more meant a better light but in my experience it doesn't.
ULTRAFIRE WF501A for me around £5 and better in throw and spill than lenser.

I don't have any LED Lenser brand lights, but if they're like Coast, some models may be great and some not so great. I really like my Coast HX5, which has worked flawlessly with daily carry and use, and has good tint and great beam patterns, but my Coast HP3 stopped working properly after about a year and had a somewhat bluish tint. Different focus mechanisms on those two lights - I prefer the sliding focus over the twist focus.

I try to stay away from the 3AAA format lights for EDC. I'd rather change just 1 or 2 batteries, rather than 3, when it's time to recharge the ones in the light.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Price has nothing to do with beam distance or brightness. There are plenty of great reviews on this site.

Check specs to see what's right for what your willing to pay, not everyone's a collector.

i really like p60 host lights, my favourite is the Solarforce L2m, so I can take out the extension swap the battery and make it even more pocketable. For work I would rock something a little more reliable or bring two along.