Maglite material research

KBran

Newly Enlightened
Hi!
Working on a school project where I need to research the materials and manufacturing processes of my old Mini Mag AA.

The aluminum parts are quite easy to find information on. I deduced that the O-rings and gasket are probably nitrile, and that the stock lens is polycarbonate. However info on the stock plastics and metal circuit elements seem non-existant.

Does anyone have information on the plastic types used for the spare bulb protector, the upper/lower twist switch assembly, and the reflector (and reflector coating)? Also, the types of metals/coatings used for the battery spring and switch assembly connectors?
Thanks!

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your best bet would be to contact Maglite and ask them; someone from the engineering department should be able to give you the specifics on the materials. It is possible that materials have changed slightly over the years and may vary a bit depending on the supplier.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Agreed xx, however...

He may need to provide some background to prove to Maglite who uses a lot of propritary materials that he's not a knock off maker-wanna-be bold enough to come right out and ask for what Maglite may consider secret recipes...

Kinda like asking Col. Sanders "what are those 11 herbs and spices you guys use?" lol

Welcome to the site K.
Maglite has always kept a lot of info close to their vest so to speak. Over the years many have attempted to copy their ideas.... and they can be paranoid at times too.

KBran

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the input!

There is no better source than Mag themselves, however its the weekend and they aren't open. =P
I was hoping that maybe the modder comunity would have been pretty knowledgeable about the general specifics of the oem parts.

I'm not looking for the exact specific formulations or patents, just a confirmation if the reflector is made of ABS plastic and general indication of the material used to coat it. They pride themselves of fabricating every piece in house so, I'm guessing the answer should be pretty easy to get. A competitor could easily narrow down far more specific information from a little destructive testing and tracking company spending.

Guess I'll rack up the long distance bill tomorrow!

konifans

Enlightened
I guess the reflector is ABS because this is usually used for something needs to be electroplated. Other common types of plastics cannot be plated.
The plating should be vacuum chrome plating.
The bi pin socket should be PA (nylon) because of heat resistance.
The metal inside the bi pin socket should be brass.
The spring is steel nickel plated.
The lens should be PC.
Just my wild guess.

Last edited:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the bulbs were originally vacuum filled, followed by krypton gas filled and finally xenon gas.

BTW Maglite was working on a new type of incandescent bulb but was stopped by EPA regulations as part of the world wide incandescent bulb phase out.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I think the bulbs were originally vacuum filled, followed by krypton gas filled and finally xenon gas.

BTW Maglite was working on a new type of incandescent bulb but was stopped by EPA regulations as part of the world wide incandescent bulb phase out.

Phillips and GE were used in Kel-Lites. When Don Keller went to work for Tony Maglica they may have used those at first.

KBran

Newly Enlightened
I guess the reflector is ABS because this is usually used for something needs to be electroplated. Other common types of plastics cannot be plated.
The plating should be vacuum chrome plating.
The bi pin socket should be PA (nylon) because of heat resistance.
The metal inside the bi pin socket should be brass.
The spring is steel nickel plated.
The lens should be PC.
Just my wild guess.

Thanks for the great post KF!

I'm debating wheter the reflector plating is Chrome or Silver based.
From the general information here, I was leaning towards silver. The contact points between the cating and the lense have slowly rubbed or chipped off it seems. I'm still looking!

I'm also fairly convinced that the bi pin socket is actually PVC, also strongly heat resistance and chemical resistant. Plus, it seriously reminds me of the finish of some types of black pvc piping.
The metal inside the bi pin is definitely not brass. It, and the spring, are magnetic. After 15 years of use and scratches, there are no signes of corrosion. I'm guessing the pins are definitly stainless. The spring may be polished stainless? If it was nickel plated, some of it should have scuffed off by now? Its still flawlessly shinny even after the interior damage of a bettery leak. If they made all the parts in house it would also make sense to use simlar stock?

Lens is totally polycarbanate. From the skratches and impact marks in it, anything else would have probably shattered long ago.

Thanks for the help and suggestion!

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Could be aluminum vacuum plating, I think that's what is generally used for automotive reflectors.