ACEBEAM EC50 Gen III anyone ?

Kivatch

Newly Enlightened
When I was looking for a 26650 flashlights, I figured out that Acebeam just released a new version of their EC50 light, the Gen III. It is a really small light (130mm) with a huge max output, great build quality and built in micro-usb charging.

It seems to be improved over the Gen II. There is just an uncertainty about the beam with the new smooth reflector. I would like the very center to be brighter than the corona around it. On some flashlights, the very center is slightly darker than the rest of the main spot which is annoying in outdoor use.

What do you think of it ?

start90a

Newly Enlightened
The gen II tint and beam quality was very good, almost perfect tint around 4800 K on the 5000 version and no donut hole in center of spot caused by the cross gap inside XHP70. In my K60 this led cause a slightly noticeable donut hole, not only at shorts distances (like a wall shot at 2 meters for example), but also in outdoor use at 50 or more meters. But is not annoying anyway.

For the gen III with XHP70.2 I hope that new led could help preventing this to happen, but my doubts are about beam quality ( a good luminous spill and a linear transition till the spot ) and most of all TINT. my other 26650 TC20 nw from Thrunite has a strange beam, yellowish spot and greenish/yellowish corona. Spill is white as good as the EC50 gen II (4800 K)

Kivatch

Newly Enlightened
The gen II tint and beam quality was very good, almost perfect tint around 4800 K on the 5000 version and no donut hole in center of spot caused by the cross gap inside XHP70. In my K60 this led cause a slightly noticeable donut hole, not only at shorts distances (like a wall shot at 2 meters for example), but also in outdoor use at 50 or more meters. But is not annoying anyway.

For the gen III with XHP70.2 I hope that new led could help preventing this to happen, but my doubts are about beam quality ( a good luminous spill and a linear transition till the spot ) and most of all TINT. my other 26650 TC20 nw from Thrunite has a strange beam, yellowish spot and greenish/yellowish corona. Spill is white as good as the EC50 gen II (4800 K)

Ok so my doubts were legitimate. The Smooth reflector may increase the throw right ?

start90a

Newly Enlightened
You're right. And also the version mk 2 of led is pushing some candelas more. I'll report some info as soon as possible.

zephyr424

Newly Enlightened
Just purchased this light in nw 5000k and it is very nice. Has a nice center that is much brighter than the corona (if that was a concern for you) with no discoloration and a uniform transition between the two. Good spill. It's very lite and very bright for its size which I guess is to be expected for the latest cutting edge technology. Has a nice color to the beam when shining on woodlands and shrubbery.

Was gonna go with the Thrunite TC20 because of its unbelievable price to lumens ratio, but after reading about some people's dissatisfaction with the beam i went with the EC50 gen iii. The only negative i see is when shining on a wall there isn't a perfect circle (which I prefer) because of the bezel. Also the spring in the tail cap is off center and janky looking but those are only minor niggles.

Kivatch

Newly Enlightened
Just purchased this light in nw 5000k and it is very nice. Has a nice center that is much brighter than the corona (if that was a concern for you) with no discoloration and a uniform transition between the two. Good spill. It's very lite and very bright for its size which I guess is to be expected for the latest cutting edge technology. Has a nice color to the beam when shining on woodlands and shrubbery.

Was gonna go with the Thrunite TC20 because of its unbelievable price to lumens ratio, but after reading about some people's dissatisfaction with the beam i went with the EC50 gen iii. The only negative i see is when shining on a wall there isn't a perfect circle (which I prefer) because of the bezel. Also the spring in the tail cap is off center and janky looking but those are only minor niggles.

How does the button feels ? Is there still no battery level indicator ?

Thank you for your information

EDness

Newly Enlightened
I'm a big fan of the EC50 line but i have to say TC20 still beats it. It's noticeably brighter and obviously more compact. TC20 feels more solid and NW tint is also better.

zephyr424

Newly Enlightened
How does the button feels ? Is there still no battery level indicator ?

Thank you for your information
The button feels very nice. It only takes a very lite press which feels solid. No mush there. It appears to be made of high quality machined aluminium and is level with the body. In complete darkness it takes a few seconds to find with your fingers, but many people seem to prefer that. Overall, I'm very happy with the purchase.

anthon87

Newly Enlightened
In my opinion

TC20 has better tint and it's more homogeneous due to the OP reflector
TC20 is brighter in turbo mode
TC20 is smaller

EC50 Gen III has better mode spacing, I miss a 1000lm mode in the TC20