The death of the tactical flashlight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brigadier

Enlightened
What has happened to the tactical flashlight? I am talking a pocketable flashlight with a clip that can be carried in a weak side pants pocket, that is single mode, or comes on high every time.....?

I have an old Novatac EDC120T that I put a 17670 body on for my EDC, and it comes on high every time. But, it won't last forever. i was looking for a back up light, and I guess I will have to revert to using my OLD LX2 Lumamax as nothing out there is tactically designed any more, unless I am missing something? Even Surefire has abandoned this genre with their multimode lights.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
What has happened to the tactical flashlight? I am talking a pocketable flashlight with a clip that can be carried in a weak side pants pocket, that is single mode, or comes on high every time.....?

I have an old Novatac EDC120T that I put a 17670 body on for my EDC, and it comes on high every time. But, it won't last forever. i was looking for a back up light, and I guess I will have to revert to using my OLD LX2 Lumamax as nothing out there is tactically designed any more, unless I am missing something? Even Surefire has abandoned this genre with their multimode lights.

Personally I consider the term "tactical" to be advertising speak that doesn't actually mean much, if anything at all. Once the lumen race surpassed the 200-300 Lumen mark I think most people began to consider a "high and low" mode to be a necessary minimum function in order for a light to have utility in a broader spectrum of use. I know I was very happy to start seeing lights that had a useful low with LONG run times as well as a bright mode for when that is needed.

Also the general durability has increased dramatically for a lot of the lights out there so nearly anything "mid-to-high" end is going to be suitable for rough handling.

Brigadier

Enlightened
He is always sold out of everything....

Even his MDC HA TAC 1CR123 is multimode. And even though the says it always comes on in high mode......his mode description proves that wrong...

Last edited:

Brigadier

Enlightened
Personally I consider the term "tactical" to be advertising speak that doesn't actually mean much, if anything at all. Once the lumen race surpassed the 200-300 Lumen mark I think most people began to consider a "high and low" mode to be a necessary minimum function in order for a light to have utility in a broader spectrum of use. I know I was very happy to start seeing lights that had a useful low with LONG run times as well as a bright mode for when that is needed.

Also the general durability has increased dramatically for a lot of the lights out there so nearly anything "mid-to-high" end is going to be suitable for rough handling.

Then I guess your definition of tactical is different than mine...

troutpool

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out Surefire's new EDCL1-T and EDCL2-T. Also, HDS and some of Oveready's offerings can be programmed to come on in high mode first.

Brigadier

Enlightened
BTW, I know it is a numbers game these days, but 1200 lumens is NOT tactical. Anything over 250-300 is just stupid....

XR6Toggie

Newly Enlightened
Elzetta have four lights you could get some use out of.

Even his MDC HA TAC 1CR123 is multimode. And even though the says it always comes on in high mode......his mode description proves that wrong...

There should be an MDC SHO somewhere on the Malkoff site. Single 300 lumen mode only.

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Programmable drivers are becoming more common these days. I have a couple lights with the Dr Jones H17F driver that I could program to be single-mode at any brightness I want, while still being able to access other modes in an emergency. I think this is really the future because then everyone can set up exactly the modes they want, whether they want memory, special modes, etc.

Personally I have mine set to three mode plus double-click for high. If I want single mode then 8 quick clicks and I can lock it into any of those modes.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
HDS Clicky, set every level the same and you have a single mode light with momentary.

Oveready BOSS, 1 to 4 modes can be set at any of 33 levels from nonexistent to retina searing via a wabpage or phone. Say goodbye to tiresome clicking for programming.

Malkoff MD2 with a single mode drop in, if you don't like clickes you can fit a SF P series type tailcap of your choice. Normally Malkoff have most things in stock, they've just had a sale and are restocking as we speak.

Get a SF 6P of Bugsy on CPF and fit a single mode drop In that suits you.

Pick up a Solarforce P60 host and a single mode drop in.

Could go on, I like it simple.
P

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast

Malkoff recently had a sale that wiped out his stock, but supplies will be replenished soon. There is a single mode MDC 1CR123. If you want more power, and then you could choose the E2 super with a 16650 battery.

Brigadier

Enlightened
HDS Clicky, set every level the same and you have a single mode light with momentary.

Oveready BOSS, 1 to 4 modes can be set at any of 33 levels from nonexistent to retina searing via a wabpage or phone. Say goodbye to tiresome clicking for programming.

Malkoff MD2 with a single mode drop in, if you don't like clickes you can fit a SF P series type tailcap of your choice. Normally Malkoff have most things in stock, they've just had a sale and are restocking as we speak.

Get a SF 6P of Bugsy on CPF and fit a single mode drop In that suits you.

Pick up a Solarforce P60 host and a single mode drop in.

Could go on, I like it simple.
P

6P size is really too big for clipped pocket carry....

carrot

Flashaholic
I thought about this one recently too. I think that the general market is moving beyond tactical because it's not a thing that sells lights anymore. More people need a general illumination tool than the relatively small market that needs a true, single-speed tactical flashlight.

That said, it looks like you can still buy a Surefire 6PX Tactical, G2X Tactical, or G2Z MaxVision, which are all single speed lights, and apply the Oveready 1" pocket clip to them... though I am not sure how the CombatGrip on the G2Z will play with the 1" pocket clip.

All of the Streamlight Protac models with TEN TAP programmability can be reprogrammed to be single speed high-only. As a happy user of a Protac 1L-1AA, I can say it's just about impossible to accidentally reprogram. These are not Surefire-grade... but they are very nice and well-designed.

The HDS Tactical is a great option too... and Hogo has been promising us a new pocket clip that will work on this and the Rotary models possibly even this year.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are many flashlight brands and models that offer this including Surefire. I am not sure where you are looking or why you think they are disappearing?

ArazelEternal

Newly Enlightened
I thought about this one recently too. I think that the general market is moving beyond tactical because it's not a thing that sells lights anymore. More people need a general illumination tool than the relatively small market that needs a true, single-speed tactical flashlight.

That said, it looks like you can still buy a Surefire 6PX Tactical, G2X Tactical, or G2Z MaxVision, which are all single speed lights, and apply the Oveready 1" pocket clip to them... though I am not sure how the CombatGrip on the G2Z will play with the 1" pocket clip.

All of the Streamlight Protac models with TEN TAP programmability can be reprogrammed to be single speed high-only. As a happy user of a Protac 1L-1AA, I can say it's just about impossible to accidentally reprogram. These are not Surefire-grade... but they are very nice and well-designed.

The HDS Tactical is a great option too... and Hogo has been promising us a new pocket clip that will work on this and the Rotary models possibly even this year.

The Streamlight Protacs with TEN TAP are wonderful lights. I have the 2AAA version and its very well made and lasts for quite a while on alkalines or recharge NiMH batteries.

The other one I would recommend is the Nitecore P12GT. I have one and I love it. Its multi-mode, having 4 different output settings along with strobe, S.O.S, and Beacon. It has the clicky type tail-cap with a side switch that changes modes. Very handy with the mode memory because it will come back on in any output setting you have it set on when turned off. I usually keep mine on the second lowest settings unless I need something brighter, but that is fairly uncommon.

Brigadier

Enlightened
It sounds like you are describing the surefire tactician.

800 lumens? Really.

Ok all you try this. Wake up in the middle of the night and the house is dark. Go out into your white walled hallway, and hit a flashlight with 800-1200 lumens on high, and blind yourself........not cool.

Like I said, the true tactical flashlights are dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.