Help with HF-R repair ?

andrewgcook

Newly Enlightened
Folks,

my MBI HF-R has stopped working. No warning, no big event and no damage, it just stopped working.

i got in touch with Guy via email but got no reply.

Can anyone offer any advice or help? If Guy has truly disappeared and there is no support for his product is there perhaps a way to repair the light? I'm happy to pay any sensible amount for time and materials.

cheers,

andy.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Hello and welcome to CPF

Your post above has been approved (with a minor title edit)

TGWNN has not been around CPF for more than a year, but perhaps others may have suggestions or advice ....

Last edited:

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you in USA?

Can you say anything more about circumstances preceding failure? Could it have activated unintentionally?

Do you have another battery?

Can you check for voltage and continuity?

Some of us have various parts, but I'll tell you, disassembly of the switch is doable but reassembly proved challenging to me.

If you had to guess what happened, what do you think?

Guy had been so excellent with customer support when he was able. He spent a LOT of money developing his projects, without nearly the return deserved; Largely I think because they did not complete. Mistakes were made and some customers lost money too. It was a fun ride and still he deserves respect, one opinion.

CRX_

Newly Enlightened
It was a broken neutral connection in the head. Sorted.
FJzlSPq.jpg

CRX_

Newly Enlightened
The wire had separated from the press fitted connection board in the flashlight head.
You need to press out the board from the front using an instrument poked through the LED wire hole to gain access.
fdIYjZJ.jpg

Glad I could fix it for him, too nice a light to go to waste.

Last edited:

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome stuff!
Thank You for sharing this :)
The wire had separated from the press fitted connection board in the flashlight head.
You need to press out the board from the front using an instrument poked through the LED wire hole to gain access.

Glad I could fix it for him, too nice a light to go to waste.