What to do with old unusable flashlights you are still emtionally attached to?

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Over the last days for my this question came up as I had to swap my keychain light. I always look to reduce the number of flashlights I don't use or that have no task for me. But now and then I encounter a flashlight I really like for some reason otherwise I tend to have a reasonable amount of flashlights (at least for a flashaholic :thumbsup:).

So now back to the question: I have keychain light I used a lot and got therefor kind of emotionally attached to (I think you can relate) and I replaced it. This is my first light that is unusable but I can't get rid of it. I still have some other flashlights where for example the technology advanced that much that I use others more often. But this one is the first I can't use but I also don't want to throw away.

That's why I opened this thread, what are you doing with your old flashlights especially those ones that are broke or obsolete but are in some kind of way attached to?

Ishango

Enlightened
Lights that can't be used because they are really broken go to the trash, even when I'm attached to it in some way, because it no longer has any function to me.Lights that have become obsolete or can't be used in ways I need usually find their way somewhere in my home. Others I have sold off even though I've grown attached to them. Sometimes it is "difficult" for a moment because of that attachment, but when the sale is completed I forget about it soon after or soon after I get a new favourite.As an example I still have the original Maglite Solitaire I bought as a 12 yo kid. It has a stunning output of ~2 lumen and isn't in any way usable to me any longer. For firefly mode I have other lights which are way more efficient and have a better tint. I still keep it in my nightstand drawer though, simply because it has been there for 26 years. Same goes for my original Maglite Mini 2AA that I bought a few years later. I really don't use them anymore, but I would not prefer getting rid of them. Other obsolete lights still find their way to my daughter or the kitchen drawer or anywhere I might need a light where it doesn't hurt if it is sub-standard or not functioning completely as it should (again if it's really broken it's going out). There's always my EDC if I really need a good light. A few weeks ago, after 10 years of service on my keychain (since 2007), the keychain attachment point of my E01 broke. It's still a functioning and great little light and now functions as a backup light in my EDC rotation even though I don't often have a use for 13 lumens.

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had an extremely rare failure of a PK light(the only one so far in my lifetime). Their excellent customer service sent me a new one, so I removed the brass/copper threaded insert and made my own PK battery carrier...
I have a large tackle box like container with all my spare O rings and flashlight parts that any parts or pieces go into. If I am really attached to the light, I try to mod or fix it, send to Vinh for an upgrade or buy another one with the remains of the first kept for spare parts like bykfixer suggested...

Last edited:

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it broke beyond the point of repair, re-purpose, modification or parts...it is of no good, just throw it away.

moltenmag

Enlightened
Just get rid of them. Sell them or give them away. Less is more. Rip the bandaid off. Be content with what you have. If it's broke just throw it out. Life is too short for debating. You'll be surprised at how good you feel after too!

firsttothescene

Enlightened
Stuff them and hang them over the fireplace? :devil:
LOL! Good idea!
Seriously though, if you are emotionally attached to it I would keep it, it can't take up much space. It's hard to get rid of things that have been a part of your life for a long time. You would regret it if you just coldly tossed it in the trash.:mecry:

Last edited:

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sell them or give them away to someone who will enjoy and use them as they were intended to be used. If they no longer work then recycle them, mod them, or throw them out. They are just flashlights man. Getting emotionally attached to or spending your time worrying about unused common material possessions is ridiculous and a waste of life imo.

Last edited:

UVvis

Enlightened
Christmas Ornament...

Parts bin or tashcan it. Seriously. In the last year I had to help clean out four places that belonged to friends/family after they died. My grandmother was a depression era hoarder, and had all kinds of nit-naks that were sentimental to her, but only her. For me and rest of family, it was trash.

Take a picture of it. Or, have fun and look for a beach with metal detector people, then bury it.

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you are right it's kind of both. If always have a problem to part with things. To longer I had them the harder it gets.

Thanks for the good advices ;-). I think I have to learn to get rid of things.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
IMG_20171223_104303.jpg

IMG_20171224_123830.jpg

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like those ideas :thumbsup:

Maybe someday when I have more space available ;-).

Keitho

Enlightened
A keychain light that doesn't work is a great waterproof matchstick holder if you take out the guts. It might not produce light anymore, but it can still grant you the gift of fire!

firsttothescene

Enlightened
A keychain light that doesn't work is a great waterproof matchstick holder if you take out the guts. It might not produce light anymore, but it can still grant you the gift of fire!
Good idea.:candle:

Last edited: