My 2018 headlamp purchase

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought me a NW Skilhunt H03 for $30. Now the loooong wait to get it from GB. The last item I ordered from them took six weeks to get to CA.

My Zebralight H502w has been use useful at work and at home. Now I want a cheap and bigger light for more run time. Hopefully, the H03 will work out.

Last edited:

Dreamer

Newly Enlightened
I bought me a NW Skilhunt H03 for $30. Now the loooong wait to get it from GB. The last item I ordered from them took six weeks to get to CA.

My Zebralight H502w has been use useful at work and at home. Now I want a cheap and bigger light for more run time. Hopefully, the H03 will work out.

Me too ordered a NW Skilhunt H03 from GB. Hope its not a long wait.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received the light today, much sooner than I expected. What a pleasant surprise! Been playing with it for a few hours now.

Compared to my ZL lights, the H03 tint is much more yellowish and greenish. I am not a tint snob, so I don't really care about that. As long as I can see what
I am working on, I am fine with most tints. But for comparison purposes, tints of my ZL lights are more pleasing.

I had high hope for the side switch, but it's been a PIA to use. Holding the head between my forefinger and thumb to rotate the light is how I adjust the beam
angle. It's been working great with the ZL lights because their lights have the switch on the head. The side switch on the H03 means I am touching the switch
and actually turning it on and off accidentally while adjusting the beam. Very annoying. I am learning the rotate the tail instead, for this light.

The press and hold to turn off takes some serious mental adjustment, as I am used to the ZL UI. Double clicking to go to the sub mode has to be done very quickly. Otherwise, it will go to the next mode. It still goes to the next mode even when I thought I have double clicked fast enough. I have missed this about six times already. Never have this problem with my ZL lights. Super annoying.

Since this light only cost me $30, can I make excuses for it? You know like, "it's a great light for the price.", or "what do you expect for a $30 light?" No, I can't.

I have no regret buying it though. I consider it a $30 experiment.

Last edited:

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm hoping that very soon there will be an electronic switch standard that manufacturers could certify their lights for, it would be a selling point - call it "Easy OS" or something. The idea being that the light would come programmed for however the manufacturer thought worked best, but the user could easily reprogram the light to work as they preferred... you could have the same inputs for your Zebralight, Skilhunt, Armytek, and Acebeam, etc...

They might as well, mass custom manufacture, where every item is potentially one of a kind, that is coming right on the heels of such a thing anyways.

- mountain electronics is an example of an online retailer that's pushing that envelope already, right now.
Without knowing too much about any of the branches of magic that come together to make a cutting edge light, I can still hobble my way through the descriptions and cobble together a light that would have been unobtainable, or required waiting indefinitely and paying dearly for not long ago.
Now it takes a bit of reading and note taking, and a few seconds of careful soldering timed between hand twitches.

Last edited: