2018 EDC flashlight

Colinlim

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys,

need opinion, should I get convoy S2+ or emissary d4 for my next edc flashlight?

ven

Flashaholic
I think the D4 will be more enjoyed out of the 2 mentioned. The UI is great, lots of features and low to crazy output. Only down side with both lights for EDC would be lack of decent clip. If this is not an issue, then the D4 would be my choice.

wweiss

Enlightened
D4 is an ugly little lump, though. Soviet 50's Siberian winter base standard issue. Hard to look at as good industrial design

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the D4 will be more enjoyed out of the 2 mentioned. The UI is great, lots of features and low to crazy output. Only down side with both lights for EDC would be lack of decent clip. If this is not an issue, then the D4 would be my choice.

With all respect I disagree with you :) In my book these Emissars were made with these tools:

11668834205a1561a512b29f1289f043cd9efef090_b.jpg

They didn't even care to make some knurling to the light to improve grip and cooling (yes, knurling gives "developed" surface that improves heat dissipation). And at the same time — some astronomical numbers of output. At some point lights that cannot withstand their own max output for a practical period of time remind me guns that cannot withstand mil spec pressure rounds.

Of course, many would disagree with me, but this is my POV :)

Last edited:

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
D4 is an ugly little lump, though. Soviet 50's Siberian winter base standard issue. Hard to look at as good industrial design

+1 :)

For me they are an excellent sample of poor engineering when every effort was put to gain impressive output, but exterior design was performed in accordance to Russian "eff off" principle :)

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Assuming you can afford it, if you're in the market for a good EDC light and you don't already have an HDS light, you should start there.

It will become the light you compare all other EDC lights to.

--flatline

Lumen83

Enlightened
If we trust "Everyday Carry", best new EDC light is Surefire EDCL1-T :)

I really wanted this light but for me it would make a terrible EDC. If I were in law enforcement, or something of that nature then maybe it would be the best. But for an average Joe, the low is way too low for my EDC needs. And, the high is also way too high. It is not a general use kind of tool. It is a specialized tool for specific applications, in my opinion.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really wanted this light but for me it would make a terrible EDC. If I were in law enforcement, or something of that nature then maybe it would be the best. But for an average Joe, the low is way too low for my EDC needs. And, the high is also way too high. It is not a general use kind of tool. It is a specialized tool for specific applications, in my opinion.

Once upon a time I liked multimode lights more. But when it came to practical application I have noticed that I start to hate designs where the only option to get low when you are on medium mode is to go through high and turbo :) Then I faced not life and death, but moments when you need to produce an appropriate amount of light immediately and, the hell, you don't remember what mode was the last with particularly that flashlight. There comes minor stress and the F-word :)

Then, spoiled with Elzetta Bravo and Surefire Fury, I started to realize that in most cases 2 modes are sufficient. Especially when they are free from ambiguity.

And, you know, in total darkness 10 lm are damn bright. EDCL1-T is declared to be 5 lm at low mode, but it is twice as bright in reality. Surefire style oopsie :)

Finally, it is damn nice looking one :D

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
With all respect I disagree with you :) In my book these Emissars were made with these tools:

11668834205a1561a512b29f1289f043cd9efef090_b.jpg

They didn't even care to make some knurling to the light to improve grip and cooling (yes, knurling gives "developed" surface that improves heat dissipation). And at the same time — some astronomical numbers of output. At some point lights that cannot withstand their own max output for a practical period of time remind me guns that cannot withstand mil spec pressure rounds.

Of course, many would disagree with me, but this is my POV :)

I pick the D4 out of the OP choices of D4 and S2+, nothing to do with the surefire recommendation. We are talking a $40 light and a $150 light here, the surefire will be tougher for sure. The inner of the D4's are pretty much up there, good driver, components and latest LED options. The surefire here is dated, guess xm-l2 but not sure . But tough as old boots, for me different uses for these lights. Depending on EDC uses, 2 modes may not suit with 5lm and 500lm. Too many variables, need more info and budget from the OP.

For EDC uses, i think zebralight make a better choice out of the s2 and D4. Still and 18650 tank of fuel, decent UI with programming options. Also the ano on the ZL is decent, tough and looks good(subjective). All this for less than $100................most compact as well.

Now if i was spending surefire money, i would also be considering a HDS............fantastic EDC light.
GjCuyAfl.jpg

Still its impressive how compact the ZL is, even compared to many 16340 fed lights.
v11r 16340/ sc63w 18650/HDS rotary 16340 and s2+ triple 18650
fhv28lSl.jpg

wweiss

Enlightened
+1 :)

For me they are an excellent sample of poor engineering when every effort was put to gain impressive output, but exterior design was performed in accordance to Russian "eff off" principle :)

I understand now. Perhaps I've been a little too harsh. Thanks for the details...

Lumen83

Enlightened
Once upon a time I liked multimode lights more. But when it came to practical application I have noticed that I start to hate designs where the only option to get low when you are on medium mode is to go through high and turbo :) Then I faced not life and death, but moments when you need to produce an appropriate amount of light immediately and, the hell, you don't remember what mode was the last with particularly that flashlight. There comes minor stress and the F-word :)

Then, spoiled with Elzetta Bravo and Surefire Fury, I started to realize that in most cases 2 modes are sufficient. Especially when they are free from ambiguity.

And, you know, in total darkness 10 lm are damn bright. EDCL1-T is declared to be 5 lm at low mode, but it is twice as bright in reality. Surefire style oopsie :)

Finally, it is damn nice looking one :D

I agree entirely about the UI of this light being amazing. Its my favorite UI. I love my aviators, kromas, and other two stage twisties. And, knowing surefire, Im not surprised the low is a lot more than then advertised 5 lumens. But, its still too low for me. The LX2 has the perfect low mode and the same UI for me. That 15 surefire lumen low with a long run time is perfect for my EDC needs. The EDCL1T is a perfect light for certain applications and it is a very good looking light, but the brightness levels just do not work for me. Thats just me though! If I could have the brightness levels of the LX2 in the EDCL1-T, I'd be all over it.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
I could put Zebralights to that role if not an unpleasant accident when I noticed an SC600w HI III at full throttle in my pocket by the burning heat. I have no idea how the button got pressed (I never carry stuff in the same pocket where a light lives), but it is the fact. Emissars use the same side button do-it-all UI that makes them potentially dangerous, taking into account that this button even less recessed than Zebralights'.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Yes always that risk with side switches. More prone to any accidental activation. I have been in the habit a while now of locking out via the tail cap. I know not always convenient, but you kind of get use to it and it becomes the norm. I like both types of UI, maybe lean towards side switch for comfort. But my edc lights in rotation have both types, so I do find pros and cons of both.

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Colinlim,
I own both lights in multiple versions(Emisar D1, D1S,D4 in Green, Black & Grey with 18350, 18500 & 18650 and also the D4VN as well as the Convoy S2+ in Black, Green, Red, Blue, Tan & Silver, all in 18650 & 18350. No, I am not trying to brag about my collection... (there are another 300+ lights too). I bring it up to say that I really like both lights. I value the flexibility of having the run time of an 18650, the small size of the 18350 and the compromise of 18500. The flexibility of selecting four modes or seven modes on the Convoy or even using a "drop-in"if I desire a different LED or Driver. On the Emisar, I love the Narsil M programming, the various options and clean simple lines. Between these two lights, the Emisar is the most intuitive to use-the Nichia 3
219 LED gives a high CRI so colors are more true to life. The Convoys also give you options of cool white if Lumen rating is important to you, but neutral white is also a choice. Since you asked specifically about these two lights, I will refrain from commenting on any other lights. If you can tell
us a little more about the circumstances in how you will be using your light and what your needs are perhaps we can be of more assistance. For entry level, economical lights, both have their place as valuable flexible lights with options. I look forward to hearing more about how the lights will be utilized so I can provide further input...

wle

Newly Enlightened
I would recommend looking at the BLF A6/Astrolux S1 rather than than the S2+.

I like the blf a6 a lot

something smaller that is very good and cheap too, though, is utorch UT01
AA
VERY small
eneloops provide a long run time and 300+ lumens
also takes 14500 for more brightness
$10 on sale

wle