Trash score

jlittle

Newly Enlightened
There's a retrograde yard where I'm working and went by there today they had a few cells in the box getting thrown away so i asked if i could have them.

6ea CGR18650DA Panosonic Japan

6ea LS LR1865EC Chineasium

2ea ICR-18650H MOLI Canada

11ea NI-MH AA 600MAH

can anyone tell me anything about these and if they would work in flashlights? Other plan would be solar charged yard lights. Thanks yall

2ibi6ue.jpg

fmc1

Enlightened
Those NiMh batteries are not very useful. Those probably are from a battery pack for a vacuum. Normally you see those 6 in series. They are too big for a AA application. Also the capacity is very low for a battery that size. I know of no flashlights where they would be useful.

The 18650's however could have potential if they are in good condition. What tools do you have to work with? Do you have a DMM? Do you have a LiIon charger capable of 200mA, 300mA or 500mA charge rate and can show you battery voltage? Do you have a charger that can test internal resistance? Do you have a charger that can discharge to test capacity?

Depending on what you have I'll try and give you advice. I have recovered well over 100 batteries.

Frank

jlittle

Newly Enlightened
Those NiMh batteries are not very useful. Those probably are from a battery pack for a vacuum. Normally you see those 6 in series. They are too big for a AA application. Also the capacity is very low for a battery that size. I know of no flashlights where they would be useful.

The 18650's however could have potential if they are in good condition. What tools do you have to work with? Do you have a DMM? Do you have a LiIon charger capable of 200mA, 300mA or 500mA charge rate and can show you battery voltage? Do you have a charger that can test internal resistance? Do you have a charger that can discharge to test capacity?

Depending on what you have I'll try and give you advice. I have recovered well over 100 batteries.

Frank

Thanks for the reply Frank i have the Xtar VP4 charger i have fluke multimeters and several other avionics test equipment because i work on aircraft so i may be able to get something to work

fmc1

Enlightened
Once you get the batteries separated and cleaned up. Check the voltage on them. If you can leave the solder tabs on the batteries and just cut them it's a cleaner result and you won't have to smooth out the burs. Any ones with less than 2.5 volts throw away, they are not worth trying to recover. Any ones with 3 volts or greater charge them at 250mA. From time to time check them to see if they are getting hot. If they get to a point where you can not hold your finger on them because they are too hot, stop the charge, let them cool the throw them away. If they remain cool to the touch you can raise the current to 500mA and keep checking temperature. The ones that have between 2.5 – 3.0 volts charge at the lowest setting until the voltage is up to at least 3.1 them you can increase current. All the while checking temperature. If you notice any type of stall in the charging, meaning the voltage has not gone up at all in 15 minutes or so stop the charge and discard the battery.

Once you get them all charged you will need some type of analyzing charger that can discharge them and check capacity. The Moli's were rated at 2200mAh, the Panasonic's at 2450mAh both fairly low by today's standards. That third one I never heard of or read about. Before you try and charge that third one check it carefully for any markings that indicate LiFePO4 or LIFe. If you see this you have a Lithium phosphate battery. The VP4 does not support this battery type, the charger voltage is too high.

Frank