10440 Battery in Streamlight EDC lights

tristanator

Newly Enlightened
Hi there guys, I am new to the forum so I apologize if these have been posted in another thread. I have a Streamlight Microstream (newest version), and a Streamlight Pro Tac 1aaa (also newest version) and I have heard that you can use 10440 cells in AAA flashlights to increase the lumen output. I'm running lithium rechargeables in them at the moment, but I wanted to ask someone who knows more about flashlights then me as I am a rookie if it would be safe and beneficial to use these cells in these lights. And if so which brand would you recccomend? Thanks!

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi there guys, I am new to the forum so I apologize if these have been posted in another thread. I have a Streamlight Microstream (newest version), and a Streamlight Pro Tac 1aaa (also newest version) and I have heard that you can use 10440 cells in AAA flashlights to increase the lumen output. I'm running lithium rechargeables in them at the moment, but I wanted to ask someone who knows more about flashlights then me as I am a rookie if it would be safe and beneficial to use these cells in these lights. And if so which brand would you recccomend? Thanks!
Don't you mean lithium primary cells. Lithium rechargeable cells would be the 10440 you are asking about.

Part of your answer depends on tolerances. Every manufactured part has a +/- variation from design. Some LED drivers will have tolerances that stack up so that they will almost immediately let out the magic blue smoke when they are driven over voltage. Others will tolerate it for a while, but will fail early. And some whose tolerances all went to the plus side will handle the over voltage just fine. In any case, driving the LED itself harder than designed will shorten its life span by some significant amount.

In laymen's terms, it might burn out the light immediately or soon thereafter, it might work for a while and then die, or it will just keep on shining. In any case, the LED itself won't last as long as it would otherwise.

ArazelEternal

Newly Enlightened

One thing that needs to be kept in mind is the 10440 cells operate at 3.7 volts rather than 1.5 like a standard alkaline or lithium primary AA. Raising the voltage by 2 volts in most devices will case failure either immediately or very soon. Some lights are made to handle higher voltages. Lights that are designed to run off both 1 x 18650 and 2 x CR123 are made to run at up to 6V where the driver will use voltage regulation to keep the LED from getting too much voltage. Chances are the Streamlight isnt designed to take that much more voltage and will very likely damage it within moments after powering it on. I personally wouldnt try it.