Need a point light source for an art project

artemyte

Newly Enlightened
I'm in search of a point light source for an art project. Essentially, I'd like to have a small, bright light placed behind some transparencies (35mm slide film), so that it would cast their image onto nearby surfaces (without involving other lenses). The images do not have to be especially sharp (but recognizable) and they should be bright enough to be visible indoors with other dim lighting around, or outside at night with the moon out.

I am looking for recommendations for what could be a decent light source. So far I have come across

- The 'gold standard', light quality wise, would seem to be a short arc HID lamp. However, I believe this solution is out of my meager budget. It also seems to would involve very high temperatures, lots of power, risk of explosion (?), etc., which also make it unsuitable.

- Perhaps I get away with using one fo the newer 1mm X 1mm high-power LEDs, e.g. as reviewed here http://budgetlightforum.com/node/44279 ? Am I correct in understanding that some of these might be able to generate up to 800lm if driven with enough power?

- Another idea I read about is pumping light into a fiber optic cable, then using the tip of the cable as point light source. Any idea if it's possible to simply/cheaply pump enough light into a fiber optic cable to have the point put out ~1000lm?

Thoughts / ideas very much welcome.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
You need a lens between the wall projection, the slide and the light source. Non focused light will just show minor color on the wall.

My dark room enlarger uses three 250 watt bulbs to project the image. If the lights are on in the darkroom, you can barely make out that their is a projected image on the easel.