Best User Interface for Flashlights?

timbo813

Newly Enlightened
I have been using my new zebralight sc64W for the last few days and I am very impressed with it. The customizable interface is a big deal on a light this bright. Without it, a single click blasts 1400 lumens. I switched the high and medium so that a single click gets 100-200 lumens and you have to double click for high. This makes me willing to lend my light to the kids or others. Holding the button for .6 seconds still gives me low (1 lumen or less). I love having quick and easy access to high, medium and low.

I do still wish zebralight would make the ramping from low to high sequential no matter how you program the levels. Now, if I hold the button longer than intended I can go from 1 lumen to 1400 in a single step. A gradual ramp would be much better. (ramp through all 6 levels I have programmed or even all 12 possible levels.)

The size to brightness ratio, wide range of brightness, and great interface are why I am now carrying exclusively zebralight.

Any other makers have an interface as good or better?

markr6

Flashaholic
In general, I like Zebralight the best. But it still comes down to what you're using it for. Sometimes I prefer a rear clicky with momentary on, for instance, a thorwer that you'll be only be using for a couple seconds here or there to spot in the distance. You can sort of do that with a ZL, but there's a chance you'll double click without intending to do so.

Regarding lending lights, I would still be hesitant with my Zebralights. I'm stubborn though, and put flashlights in that list of things to never let others borrow. Not out of selfishness; there are just some things that always seem to get returned screwed up or broken (chainsaws, tents, sleeping bags, guns, anything with a sharp edge)

ven

Flashaholic
Tough call , i have a few favs which suit certain application over others. I really like the HDS rotary UI, ability to dial up/down on the fly! So with that, i like the v11r as well. I like programmable UI, so certain drivers like the h17f , i can have 1 level or up to 7....and pick the brightness of each level. Sometimes i just want 1 mode level...........simple rocks some times.
Also a fan of vinhs drivers, vn4 is excellent with many options, single, 2,3 etc modes.A variety of clicky lights with this driver option.....
As with you, i like ZL's, especially the newer UI which i can set to any level of high, medium and low................pretty cool from a manufacturer. The narsil ramping UI on the D4/D1 is also a strong like, short cut to min/max and what seems like a perfect 2.5s ramp from min to max.

So i have a few i like a lot, could not pick one out of them tbh.

archimedes

Flashaholic
My favorite (no joke) is on/off.

Next would be high/low ... prefer a two-stage progressive press (momentary) / twist (constant) but I am ok with bezel twist to set.

Then ramping (click on/off, hold to adjust)

Followed by fully programmable, especially HDS/Ra type format (independently set and directly accessible A/B/C/D outputs)

Much less of a fan of rotary, in general.

Least preferred would be multi-click / multi-twist to cycle.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Infinite Adjustment Rotary wheel near the head for easy one hand adjustment before turning on (THE KEY) Forward clicky on the tail. I hate multiple clicks.

Last edited:
Control ring. One hand operation. NEVER have to search for switch.

The other can be used to walk the Dog or hold your girlfriends hand!

Hey,is Valentines day!;)

bykfixer

Flashaholic
My favorite (no joke) is on/off.
Same here.
A well made slider is my favorite. With positive points for off/signal/on. I fully understand why they are pretty much extinct on new stuff.

Clicky on/off with momentary is next.

Gas pedal is cool too. Low/high with a twist to hold feature for using on low and signal with high.

Clicky hi/lo or lo/hi after that. But I do like a medium that gives the virtue of a slightly brighter lo/lo or a somewhat dimmer hi with much improved runtime.

Control rings are cool too.
Twist on/off is cool so long as you don't have to hold your left leg at a right angle while whistling Dixie to change settings.

Side buttons are cool if they are easy to find. If not give me a dual switch option there, please.

I like memory for some lights but not all.

And most important I love, love, love any flashlight that lights when I hit the on switch no matter how that is achieved.

XR6Toggie

Newly Enlightened
I like on/off with head or tail rotation to select high or low. Holding the button to cycle between high and low on my Stinger is also acceptable but not as good as a rotation. Double tap for strobe isn't too bad though I'd prefer triple. At least it always comes on in high mode.

Multiple clicks is my least favourite.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I like on/off with head or tail rotation to select high or low. Holding the button to cycle between high and low on my Stinger is also acceptable but not as good as a rotation. Double tap for strobe isn't too bad though I'd prefer triple. At least it always comes on in high mode.

Multiple clicks is my least favourite.

I like the Stinger UI you speak of. Yeah, I could see 3 for strobe.

XR6Toggie

Newly Enlightened
I like the Stinger UI you speak of. Yeah, I could see 3 for strobe.

I've accidentally put it onto strobe a couple of times when trying to mode select. It's easy enough to just click again and switch off but given how rare it is to use strobe a triple click would be ideal.

Keitho

Enlightened
I think the perfect UI would be the programmable ZL interface (I have mine set up with one "lend out" group--every mode is the same level, so it acts like an on-off one-mode light; the other is a firefly group), but with one additional option, a "G8" ramping mode like the Emisars. Oh yeah, and an added functionality that any of the memorized modes can be a bike flashing mode with variable output.

The momentary mode on the Emisars is a great idea, but I have little use for it. The precise battery check and thermal check function on the Emisars and Noctigon is pretty cool too.

Hugh Johnson

Enlightened
Ramping, like my TH20 headlamp, the BLF, and Emisar lights. Direct access to moonlight and turbo. Infinitely variable with memory. One handed operation.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Arch beat me to it. On with the possible option of Off.
Cannot be doing with clicking through modes. I wan the light to come on at the level I want.
Maybe a Telepathic Light?
P

spaceminions

Newly Enlightened
In practice, the advanced ramping firmware in the emisar's and the q8, though I'd also enjoy a smooth rotary style control scheme of some kind. I'd also like a CCT adjusting ramp or dial if that ever becomes a thing in multi emitter lights. I'd love to be able to use a dim warmish light and fade to a brighter mixed light when on higher brightness, so long as I could control that behavior.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want my lights to be utterly predictable. I should be able to set my desired output before I've even pulled the light out of its holster/pocket. As such, I hate mode memory and holding the button to ramp though the levels.

UIs that work well for me:
4Sevens Quark: L-M-H that resets back to L after the light's been off for a short while.
HDS Clicky: B default, 2x for C, 3x for D, 1x + hold for A.
Malkoff hi/lo bezel: essentially on/off, but twisting the bezel lets you choose the output.
Manker E02: click for Low or press for last used non-low output. click to advance. I ignore the blinky modes and never rely on the memory.
On/Off: simple can be good.

UIs that work well enough, but aren't my favorite:
Zebralight: I don't like how easy it is to accidentally get High when I wanted to start on Low. I could probably fix this if I had a more current Zebralight (mine is 6 or 7 years old). I also hate holding to ramp through levels. It would be better to click through levels.
Any M-L-H or H-M-L (or whatever else) as long as there's no memory.
Malkoff MDC: L-M-H that resets to L based on how long the current mode has been on. This mostly works well, but if I tap it to look at something, then sometimes when I use it again a while later, it starts on M instead of L. Resetting to L after it's been off for a while would be an improvement.

UIs I can't tolerate and only use when there are no other options:
Any UI that ALWAYS advances to the next level when you turn it on (especially if Strobe is a mode).
Any UI with 4+ modes that you have to cycle through all of them to turn the light off.
Any UI that starts on H and then makes you hold the button to ramp down (nightvision ruined before you get to low output).

--flatline

snakyjake

Enlightened
First Choice: Rotary, just like all the other knobs on my appliances, radio, etc.
Second Choice: Up/down buttons, like the other devices in my life.

The only other device I have that requires me to cycle are some of my clocks, and it is EXTREMELY annoying!

Sos24

Enlightened
I like tail switches for turning on/off with modes controlled by either rotary ring (favorite) or separate switch like many Fenix lights have.

I do not like twisty or side switches.