AmazonBasics 9 Volt Everyday Alkaline Batteries

kilogulf59

Enlightened
[FONT=Amazon Ember, Arial, sans-serif]I need about five 9v batteries (disposables) for the garage-door openers and smoke detectors and I wanted to get decent ones. What I've found so far is Energizer's seem to be the tops but many are touting the [/FONT][FONT=&quot]AmazonBasics [/FONT][FONT=Amazon Ember, Arial, sans-serif]9 Volt Everyday Alkaline Batteries. The attraction here is that the Amazon's about half the cost of Energizers. Anyone have any experience with these? Think they're worth a shot?[/FONT]

markr6

Flashaholic
I like the AAA and AA...for stuff just not worthy of a $2 eneloop. I personally wouldn't hesitate to give these a shot.

kilogulf59

Enlightened
Yeah, I think I may give them a shot. Upon further reading I noticed the common complaint of size. Apparently they're a lil bit bigger than most 9v's and wont fit in some applications. That really strikes me as odd as I assumed that battery dimensions were a standard.

archimedes

Flashaholic
.... Apparently they're a lil bit bigger than most 9v's and wont fit in some applications. That really strikes me as odd as I assumed that battery dimensions were a standard.

Yes, one would sensibly suppose ... but it seems that nearly nothing about batteries is standardized, how we might expect :sigh:

markr6

Flashaholic
I don't use 9V often, but thinking back I remember some being snug. Some with round-ish corners, some square, etc.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've gone with rechargeable NiMH 9v batteries for most stuff, but I still use the occasional 9v alkaline. I don't dare use AA and AAA alkaleaks, but the 9v batteries suffer a lot less leaks than the AA and AAA version. Or, at least the leaks are usually contained within the 9v case. IIRC, I think I've only ever had one 9v visibly leak, whereas I can't even begin to count the number of AA leaks I've seen.

All that to say, give the Amazon ones a try. Even if their quality isn't as good as Energizer, they're still very unlikely to leak.

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast
9V rechargeable Li-ion batteries will likely yield much better bang for the buck in your garage opener (except possibly in very cold climates).

Whether or not they work safely in your smoke alarms depends on its design (esp. low voltage setting).

You can buy them for under $3 each (600mAh EBL) in quantity on eBay. I've been using about 15 of them in all my 9V devices for a couple years without any issues. See earlier threads here for more on them.

Last edited:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Enegizer Lithium 9V batteries are great for smoke detectors (especially if they are mounted somewhere that makes battery changing difficult), they should be great for garage door openers that are kept inside of vehicles.

http://data.energizer.com/pdfs/l522.pdf

phantom357

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, I think I may give them a shot. Upon further reading I noticed the common complaint of size. Apparently they're a lil bit bigger than most 9v's and wont fit in some applications. That really strikes me as odd as I assumed that battery dimensions were a standard.

The Amazon 9v's are great and use them in my smoke detectors . I have them on auto deliver around the same time as time changes so I can remember lol