Cell covering flaking off / best protected inexpensive 18650

gnappi

Newly Enlightened
I have some unprotected cells recovered from laptop packs that the plastic covering is flaking off. They are several years old and still charge and hold a charge but I'm wondering if they should be decommissioned?

Also I need a number of protected cells for low power single 18650 flashlights. The capacity isn't very important as they're for home use where spares will be available when they need re-charging.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
The wrapper is very important - it electrically insulates the case, which is electrically common to one of the poles, from accidental contact with anything connected to the other pole, which would cause a short circuit.

If the batteries are still useful, however, you can put new wrappers on them. Here's a guide:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?356063-Rewrapping-a-battery

You can buy heat shrink many places, and pre-cut battery wrappers are available from retailers like illumn.com. They also sell a good selection of both protected and unprotected 18650 batteries for what seems to me to be very good prices.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you don't want to re-wrap them, at the very least wrap electrical tape around them to cover any bare cell. Electrical tape works fine, but might make the cells too fat for some lights.