New for 2018 Streamlight Microstream USB Rechargeable Light

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight has several new lights for 2018, including the Streamlight Microstream USB Rechargeable ...streamlight.com/en/products/detail/index/microstream-usb

Looks like an interesting little lightl

Here's the info from the Streamlight page:

MICROSTREAM USB POCKET LIGHT
USB Rechargeable, Bright Mini LED Flashlight

Ultra-compact, this personal light, which fits in the palm of your hand or comfortably in your pocket, provides unparalleled performance for its size.

High and low modes:
High: 250 lumens; 68m beam; runs 1.5 hours; 1,150 candela
Low: 50 lumens; 31m beam; runs 3.5 hours; 250 candela
Lithium ion battery charges in-product in 4 hours; rechargeable up to 300 times
Multi-function push-button tail switch with charge indicator:
Red – charging
Green – fully charged
Durable, anodized machined aluminum construction; scratch-resistant polycarbonate lens
Metal sleeve protects charge port; slide sleeve forward to reveal charge port
Removable pocket clip also clips onto brim of hat for hands free use
IPX4 water-resistant; 1m impact resistance tested
Includes USB cord and high-strength lanyard
Ultra-compact design fits in the palm of your hand, comfortably fits in your pocket
3.87" (98.2 mm); 1.2 oz (34.1g)
Charges with Streamlight's EPU-5200™ portable USB charger #22600 (sold separately)
Limited lifetime warranty

Product Specifications
High Lumens 250
Run Time on High 1.50 hours
Run Time on Low 3.50 hours
Beam Distance 68 meters
Max Candela 1,150
Battery Type Lithium Ion Cell Pack
Battery Quantity 1
Length 3.87 inches (9.83 centimeters)
Weight 1.20 ounces (34.02 grams)
Colors Black

All of the new lights can be seen at www.streamlight.com/products/explore-products/new-products

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting. First off, I am not a fan if in-light USB charging. To me it is just one more thing that can go wrong, and if it does the light is useless. I suppose I can see adding a Low mode. I have carried mine for years and have never had a need for a low mode, but YMMV.
The original design Microstream was just a nice solid dependable small light ideal for EDC use. Adding all this other stuff just sounds to me like a light chasing a fan base. I thought Streamlight was better than that.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Finally a 10440 capable microstream.
I wonder if the light can run off a regular double A in a pinch....

Looks like Streamlight took a page from the Coast way of recharging a light. Their HP7R uses a similar way of exposing the charger point.

Now the usb battery charge outside the light was something Coast did a while ago too. But a good idea is a good idea regardless of when it was thought up. Allows spare cells to charge while the light is in use.

Glad to see the next gen ProTac HL4 (now 5) has a dual switch option. And with a 250 lumen low I'd rarely ever use another setting on that one.

Way to go Streamlight. Glad to see them stepping it up another notch. I just hope all those gizmos and gadgets don't lead to Streamlight products having failure rates comparable to other less than reliable products touting all things fashion forward.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suppose I can see adding a Low mode. I have carried mine for years and have never had a need for a low mode, but YMMV.

But, on this light, the low mode is 50 lumens and the high mode is 250 lumens. So, the low is about the same as the standard Microstream.

I replaced my Microstream over a year ago with a Factor Equipment Mizpah 130 to get a better 2-way clip and higher output.

It would be good to have the option of replacing the battery when depleted, in addition to charging the battery in the light.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
The beam on the USB Rechargeable Microstream appears to be more floody, or at least have a less intense hot spot according to Streamlight's specs:

Standard Microstream: White LED delivers 45 lumens; 420 candela; 41m beam; runs 2.25 hours

Rechargeable Microstream: Low: 50 lumens; 250 candela; 31m beam; runs 3.5 hours

Repsol600rr

Enlightened
Maybe I've missed it but any clue on the ui? Hoping for a forward clicky with low first. Also no pwm please. If they got that right ill bite. But pwm or high first ui would nix it from the list.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe I've missed it but any clue on the ui? Hoping for a forward clicky with low first. Also no pwm please. If they got that right ill bite. But pwm or high first ui would nix it from the list.

A low, high forward clicky would appeal to me, as well. That was the UI on my Coast HP3. It's handy to have momentary, but signalling gets awkward because you cycle between low and high.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Nobody says one way or the other.
My guess is it starts on high. But we'll know when they arrive I suppose.

Streamlight in general does forward clicky's. And some recent stuff I have purchased no longer uses PWM.

terryoregon

Newly Enlightened
The Stinger Switchblade and Jr. F-Stop also look quite interesting.

What I don't like about Streamlight's website, is they put up new lights that are weeks/months from actually being available. The Stinger Switchblade has been on their website since last year. I emailed them January 12th inquiring when it would go into production:

SNIP: Thank you for your inquiry. We hope to start shipping these within 6-8 weeks

I don't think we know when ANY of these new lights will be available.

Last edited:

Repsol600rr

Enlightened
I saw one that said ten tap and another that said simply low and high. It looked like a forward clicky. Both videos featured a streamlight person of some sort so I guess one of them doesn't even know.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Streamlight usually has stuff they announce at shot show by April. A late Chinese new year this year may have delayed that.

Those folks at shot show representing streamlight seem like QVC hosts... like it's the first time they've ever used a Streamlight flashlight.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
To me, trying to "improve" the MicroStream is like Fenix trying to "improve" the E01.

Leave a great product alone. Call it something else, if you want to go down this path.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
WOW this brings back memories of one of my most used and useful EDC carry lights!:party: There was a really cool 'hack' about 15 years ago where the fenix head was used with the microstream clicky body and POWERED by a 10440 lion.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wait an E01 head on a micro stream clicky body???? Gonna need more details on that one!
WOW this brings back memories of one of my most used and useful EDC carry lights!:party: There was a really cool 'hack' about 15 years ago where the fenix head was used with the microstream clicky body and POWERED by a 10440 lion.

jarheadgreasemonkey

Newly Enlightened
Anyone else pick up on of these lights yet?

I'm having trouble getting to "high" mode...

Seems like it's a double tap (starts on low) but sometimes I have to tap the switch more than twice to get it to "high".

Other than that, seems to be a solid torch; the beam is certainly floodier than the last two generations and the tint is warmer as well.

I wouldn't define the tint as overall warm, just warmer than the other two standard Microstreams I have... it's close to my ZL neutral tinted headlamp.

Boris74

Newly Enlightened
Anyone else pick up on of these lights yet?

I'm having trouble getting to "high" mode...

Seems like it's a double tap (starts on low) but sometimes I have to tap the switch more than twice to get it to "high".

Other than that, seems to be a solid torch; the beam is certainly floodier than the last two generations and the tint is warmer as well.

I wouldn't define the tint as overall warm, just warmer than the other two standard Microstreams I have... it's close to my ZL neutral tinted headlamp.

the tint is a match to their other protac lights. More neutral than cool. I prefer their tints over most brands. I have wanted one since I first read about it. Local cop shop had some last week so I picked one up. Tint matches close to the 2L-X, HL-X and 1L-1AA lights I have, and isn't the blueish tint of the regular microstream. Battery run time is like their other lights. Longer than you'd expect.

I have no trouble getting to high. You have to be quick though, go too slow and it stays on low. The TIR lens has a nice full brightness flood beam. Really like the light. It also works with button top 10440 PK cell batteries I have. An NiMH will not run it.

Takes way too long to charge in the light though. I'm not too savvy on charging it in a regular charger. The flat top looks like it has -/+ on the flat top like the Olight baton R cells. If I need a quick swap I can drop one of the PK cells in.

To me, trying to "improve" the MicroStream is like Fenix trying to "improve" the E01.

Leave a great product alone. Call it something else, if you want to go down this path.

At the risk of sounding like a stick in the mud that's my general opinion. If the price is attractive I might try one (we're talking $30 or less) but I'm not a big fan of USB charging nor of lights that toggle modes from a single switch. Hopefully they'll continue to make the original which is almost perfection for what it is.