Considering a new EMS Penlight and Keychain Backup

IMightBeWrong

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

I am currently running a Thrunite Ti4T penlight for pupil function and backup illumination for work. I am also running a Peak Eiger Nichia 219 keychain light as a backup. I'm not sure if these options are still up to date since I've not been keeping up with the industry the last year or two. I am thinking about upgrading both.

For the Penlight I carry it on shift only. I have the cool white option but wouldn't mind a more neutral tint when checking eyes. Being able to crank up the brightness to look around an area is import at as well. What are some good 2-AAA penlights to consider that aren't in Cool White?

As for my keychain light, while I enjoy the high CRI I find myself wishing my backup light had more output. I'm considering either a 1-AAA or even a 1-AA or CR123 keychain light so long as it's not too large and heavy. Cool white is fine for this as I want as much brightness and reliability as possible for my last ditch light.

Suggestions? Thanks in advance!

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the penlight, take a look at the Nitecore MT06MD, which starts on the 4 lumen low every time for pupil checks and has two higher power levels

It is high CRI for accurate color rendering of tissue and fluids.

It doesn't have any of the blue light wavelengths that are considered to be dangerous.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the penlight, take a look at the Nitecore MT06MD, which starts on the 4 lumen low every time for pupil checks and has two higher power levels

It is high CRI for accurate color rendering of tissue and fluids.

It doesn't have any of the blue light wavelengths that are considered to be dangerous.
The MT06MD comes in two versions: one in basic black, and the other in basic black with a Pupil Diameter reference guide on one side. Nitecore also says that the MT06MD is safe for alcohol sterilization.

For a keychain light there are several options I am comfortable recommending. There is the Lumintop Tool, available in aluminum, copper, brass, and titanium, and with your choice of a CREE or Nichia emitter. From Nitecore you have the Tube, Tip 2017 (available in CREE or Nichia emitters), and the newly released Tini. I'm not too hot on using the Tool on a keychain but apparently some people do. I have my Tubes and Tips on a double O-ring so that I can point it in the same direction as my key. That makes it easier to see the keyhole.
If they ever get another group buy going, the BLF 348 is a nice keychain light. It is the Gear Best Singfire 348 but with a Nichia emitter.