Battery compatibility

WillFern5

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone, I've always like flashlights but recently am getting into rechargeable lights running on 18650's. So I'm sure this is a total newbie question but any help here would be much better than it seems I'm getting on google. I'm looking at buy a Nitcore MH27UV and I happen to have an extra 18650 left over from an Olight S2R. Now I'm curious if this 3.6v 3600mah 12.9Wh battery would work well inside of the new MH27UV? I thought all 18650's were the same besides the mah rating but then I came across something on a site saying how a light needs a battery with at least an 8a rating (what the heck does that mean?!). Again...I'm sure I sound like a total newbie and I'm sure it's something obvious that I'm missing but any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

fmc1

Enlightened
The 8A requirement refers to the maximum continuous discharge the battery can handle. 3600mAh is the capacity, 12.9Wh at 3.6V is another way of stating capacity. Capacity and maximum continuous discharge are two different things. So if the light requires an 8A cell you need one that can provide 8A or more. High capacity 18650 10A cells are readily available and not expensive. The LG MJ1 and the Sanyo NCR18650GA are popular high quality examples. They are both rated at 3400 or 3500mAh and 10A discharge.

Is the 18650 from the S2R the one that came with the light or identical to the original? Those batteries are semi proprietary because they are the only ones that the built in S2R charger can charge. I am also almost certain they will not handle 8A continuous discharge. Olight sells 8A cells because the X7 needs them, the Olight branded X7 and S2R batteries are not the same. I have two Olight S2's and one of the things I like about it is they will run on almost any old junk 18650. I use old Panasonic NCR18650A's that would probably struggle to deliver 5A and they work fine in the S2.

Keep the Olight battery as a spare for the S2R and buy a new battery for the Nitecore.

Frank