Maglite switch mods, What size soldering iron?

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
I can play the heck out of an old Stratocaster, but when I have to solder new jacks on a guitar cord… let's just say it's not a work of art.

So I want to do the switch and endcap Maglite mods to accommodate some larger LED upgrades, but I don't want to cook those little cups and ruin the switch.

I currently have a 25 watt soldering iron. Is this about right, or too much? I do have an older two stage gun too, that I think may be too much.

If anyone has any suggestions on doing these mods I'd greatly appreciate it... and what type of wire you've had the best luck with. I did see some vids on youtube, but soldering is kinda like welding, it takes practice, and when you don't do it a lot, it's difficult. I always seem to have the thing so cold that the solder won't stick, or so hot that everything else around it melts, or the wrong size iron or something. I'd rather weld.

Thanks, JT

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello JT,

The best suggestion I can offer is to go to a junk or thrift store and pick up some cheap things to practice on. Then practice, practice, practice before working on your project.

It's not rocket science, but there is some art involved.

Tom

Latest posts