Best power supply for running two 10W LEDs?

Karel

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

Can I run 2 10W LEDs off one 20W driver? Would that be a constant current driver? Any advice on which to get? I'll be running from 230V mains, so a unit that powers from that would be ideal.

Cheers! :thumbsup:

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, this can definitely be done, buy you have to make sure the driver and LEDs are compatible.

If they are actually single-die LEDs, they will have a rated current around 3A and voltage a little over 3V. If they are COBs or some other type of strip or module, the voltage will be higher and the current will be lower.

The driver could be designed to run 3A into something around 6.6V (that would be two LEDs in series), or it could be designed to run 700 mA into a COB at 25-30V. Or something else.

So you need the current and voltage specs for both the driver and the LEDs.

It sounds like maybe you have the LEDs and are looking for a driver. Post the specs for whatever you have and we'll help you find what you need.

Karel

Newly Enlightened
Thanks. I'm going with these for now https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1-P...eutral-White-Warm-White-High/32407343328.html
One red and one blue in each unit (total 4). It says there

Model Type: Cree XML2-T6
Emitted Color :Cold White/Neutral White/Warm White/Red/Green/Blue/UV/Pink/Lake Blue/Golden Yellow
Color Temperature: 6500K/4500K/3000K/ 620-630nm/520-530nm/450-455nm/395-400nm
DC Forward Voltage (VF): 2.9-4Vdc
Red Color is 2.2-2.4V
DC Forward Current (IF): 3.0A
Power: 10W

So I'm looking for a power supply to run a red and a blue LED (it seems the power requirement for the red is different?) and also a way of powering a fan (which can be 5V or 12V). This will all be running off mains, but I think it might be better to use a mains power supply providing 5 or 12V. That would then easily power the fan and supply 5 or 12 to whatever is powering the LEDs. Is my logic sound? I'm no electrician - making this up as I go! What should I be looking for? Since it will be external to the two lights it doesn't have to be compact, and will probably end up in a little box of its own.

(Is there a new layout here at CPF? Can't say I like it...)

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
The power is lower on the red because the voltage is lower. If you put the same 3A through each, the one with lower voltage will have less power.

It would certainly be quite reasonable to get a 12V, 2A wall-mount or desktop mains power supply and run a CVCC regulator and fan off that. It keeps you from having to handle anything mains related.

Something like this should work nicely: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Adjustable...654388&hash=item5d7ae3349e:g:NhEAAOSwJRZaZGTP

If you used a driver that would run the LEDs directly off the mains, you could get a 6V fan and just run it across the LEDs. It's not likely to be exactly 6V, but should be close, unless you plan to dim the LEDs.

Karel

Newly Enlightened
Cheers! Thanks a lot. I'll likely have more questions though! ;-)