Review: Olight M2T (Tactical, 1x18650, XHP35 HD)

Budda

Enlightened
I received the Olight M2T for the review from Olight.com

The M2T Warrior is the latest tactical 18650 powered flashlight from Olight. It features a XHP35 HD emitter and it features some resemblance to the previous model, the M2R, and some differences: at the tailcap it has a rubber protruding, dual stage, switch; and doesn't have the integrated recharging feature of the M2R.

For the M2T, Olight changed the design of the box: a little more design-oriented. It's a very nice beige white box, with raw a texture on the surface… but I bet you are more interested in the content: the M2T (and all the accessories: two way clip, holster, 2xCR123 cells, manual, warranty card, lanyard).
Olight_M2T_13.jpg

Olight_M2T_14.jpg

Olight_M2T_02.jpg

Olight_M2T_03.jpg

Olight_M2T_04.jpg

Olight_M2T_05.jpg

The big, protruding and super easy to access switch at the tailcap
Olight_M2T_06.jpg

Olight_M2T_07.jpg

The inside of the light has the same double walled construction as the M2R, and the tailcap has a lanyard hole.
Olight_M2T_08.jpg

On the head of the light there's the classic electronic switch with a LED that acts as battery indicator
Olight_M2T_09.jpg

The ease of access to the tailcap switch is much higher compared to the almost recessed one of the M2R; also size are comparable (25x24x130mm, 135g).
Olight_M2T_11.jpg

The sheath of the M2T is made of cordura, and compared to the one of the M2T it has a regular cordura construction
Olight_M2T_01.jpg

Olight_M2T_12.jpg

Output and runtime
Tested both with an Olight IMR 18650 3600mAh PCB battery (not included with the M2T).
Olight_M2T_16.png
Olight_M2T_17.png
Olight_M2T_18.png

Olight_M2T_19.png

Beamshots
1 m from the wall
Olight_M2T_20.jpg

Olight_M2T_21.jpg
Olight_M2T_22.jpg

Olight_M2T_23.jpg

Olight_M2T_24.jpg

Olight_M2T_25.jpg
Olight_M2T_26.jpg

My thoughts
The light is well built and finished.
The levels are well spaced and the regulation flat on all tested outputs.
I like the UI with direct access to last used mode, low, turbo, strobe. In particular, I like that using the electronic switch you still have access to all the above and you can use the light as if it is a regular EDC, with a EDC interface. Using the tailcap switch you will only have access to turbo (either momentary or constant on) and strobe, a more "tactical" use.
The tailcap switch will IMHO allow for a better use of its 3 functions: momentary-on turbo (soft press); ON/OFF (medium press); momentary-strobe (deep press).
The beam it's toward the flood type, with a big bright spill and a spot that disappears after a few tenth of meters, and an actual, real throw, of around 100 meters.
Compared to the M2R, the M2T loses the integrated charge and the magnet in the tailcap, in favor of a more UI friendly big "tactical" tailcap switch, no free 18650 (although the M2T comes with 2xCR123 cells), and an increased frequency of the strobe (from 10 to 13Hz). The sheath is also simpler but is well made.
The M2T is also 30$ cheaper compared to the M2R.

I'd like to see a NW version of the light, maybe with a dedomed emitter that will give more throw.
Thanks to: AntoLed for the camera help and the luxmeter.

djans1397

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've heard that the rubber tail switch can be a bit finicky when trying to access the 3 diff modes. What's your experience with this?

Budda

Enlightened
you have to not be afraid to push. not because it feels flimsy (it doesn't), but because
- to engage the soft press (momentary turbo) you can press from very lightly to lightly and there is some travel possible (although the light turns on at the lightest pressure ie movement of the switch)
- to engage the "hard press" (constant turbo) you just need to press all the way without any fear of missing a click or an intermediate position, when it reaches the bottom of the travel the light is on

it needs a moment of getting used to it

Javora

Enlightened
Excellent review as usual Budda. Have you thought about reviewing theNexttorch TA15, the one with the Rotational Magnetic Switch? I've been really interested in that one. Thanks.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you very much for the review, but strange that they call this UI "Tactical". For a tactical light accidental "discharge" is very unwanted feature. And highly sensitive tail button leads directly to negligent activation.

Budda

Enlightened
Thank you very much for the review, but strange that they call this UI "Tactical". For a tactical light accidental "discharge" is very unwanted feature. And highly sensitive tail button leads directly to negligent activation.

Personally I don't agree. If you are afraid to accidentally activate your light you can lock the M2T with physical lockout or with electronic lockout.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally I don't agree. If you are afraid to accidentally activate your light you can lock the M2T with physical lockout or with electronic lockout.

Well, imagine you are a LEO, for example, and you are approaching an area where a bad guy may be hiding, but you do not want to expose yourself early. And suddenly you touch your gear with the tail of the light or your fingers contract a bit because of stress...

How lockout feature would help in the situation? :)

Budda

Enlightened
This would open a big discussion, as safety features are integrated on several equipment, like car and guns.
there are also guns with no apparent safeties (like glock, that feature internal safeties that gets deactivated when the user effectively pulls the trigger).

in the end what matters is training training training.