Home LED replacement bulbs and PWM

hap124

Newly Enlightened

Last edited:

piojo2

Newly Enlightened
100 Hz would be visible to a lot of people. That's VERY slow, as far as PWM is concerned. I just googled for PWM controller chips, and the ones I found were 500 kHz. I made my own controller with Arduino, which lacks a dedicated PWM chip and should be inferior to what an expensive lighting system uses, and the PWM is 63 KHz. Wikipedia says it's hard, but possible, to see 2 kHz, and 3 kHz should be enough for it to be undetectable by humans:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flicker_fusion_threshold

hap124

Newly Enlightened

Last edited:

JoakimFlorence

Newly Enlightened
I'm not sensitive to it, but it is moderately to slightly discernible and slightly annoying when I dart my eyes quickly across from one part of the room to another and something doesn't seem quite right (almost like less smooth and continuous).

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm super sensitive to PWM, makes me dizzy and sick.
I've had a couple of phillips bulbs I had to return. Oddly the el-cheapo "utilitec" bulbs were fine. So far though I've developed a preference for FEIT bulbs.

ssanasisredna

Enlightened
Does anyone have a good resource/chart etc for which brands of LED bulbs use PWM? I am sensitive to it with computer displays and can see it in other applications often so want to avoid it entirely.

LED bulbs do not use PWM with the exception of some color changing bulbs. Most have some level of 2x line-rate current ripple, but that is not remotely the same as PWM.

Most of the bulbs are somewhat tolerable. I have found many Ikea bulbs to be pretty low.

Last edited: