UPDATE: Recommend a LED drop-in for this light

wjv

Enlightened
I was in the local Fred Meyers (local chain kinda like a Walmart) and saw these hanging on a stand by the door.

4nB44X4.jpg

2D
single speed 27 Lumen
8.5 hour runtime
Xenon bulb
on/off switch on the barrel

on clearance for $12.49

Not a big fan of maglites, but for the price I couldn't resist. Put some batteries in it and yup, it puts out the same old doughnut hole beam on flood, and a blobby mess when focused. Still, the price was right and I don't have any 'D' cell flashlights, but I do have a bunch of 'D' cell batteries for my Ray-O-Vac Sportsman lantern.

I was thinking that I could convert it to an LED bulb and have a nice low power light that would run for a very long time on 2 'D' cells. It might make a nice kitchen drawer or glovebox light.

So can anybody recommend a good LED drop-in for this light. I prefer quality over output so something in the 50-200 lumen range would be just fine. I have plenty of other lights for when I need Lots-O-Lumens.

Thanks in advance!!!

Last edited:

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Recommend a LED drop-in for this light

I have an old Eveready 3D lantern that I bought about 10 years ago. It had the usual krypton PR bulb in it. I didn't like the output and wanted a longer run time so I went searching. I found this dropin replacement:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HF8ICGO/?tag=cpf0b6-20
I works great with my three D cells, and the package said it would work with two cells as well. I really like it.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think I've seen that Nite Ize bulb in Freddies before although I'm not sure they still carry it.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have a couple of the older 55 lumen Nite Ize drop ins and they work great for what they are, you can get them at Home Depot for $5.

CaptainBrock

Newly Enlightened

So can anybody recommend a good LED drop-in for this 2D Maglight?

Man, that is a classic! I think it's been in production for about 50 years. You probably want something like
https://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Bright-Lumen-Maglite-Upgrade-Model/dp/B01N0LAR5R
for only a bit more than you paid for the light. Yea, good for the glovebox. I have a similar 4C Mag setup with good results.

But I got intrigued by this system:
5000 lumen Kit for 2D Maglite
https://asflashlights.com/led-upgrades-for-maglite/107-conversion-kit-for-maglite.html
So you'd be going with THREE Cree XHP-50 emitters and two 26650 li-ion cells, both favorites of mine.

You may be able to add accessories like crenelated bezel, striking heel stud, glass lens, and of course a leather belt loop. Don't forget the intelligent charger for those beastie 26650's.
You will be in the price range of some very powerful lights but you will be STYLING!

PS I'm sure you can Google as well as I but it's fun.

— Brock

CaptainBrock

Newly Enlightened

So can anybody recommend a good LED drop-in for this 2D Maglight?

Man, that is a classic! I think it's been in production for about 50 years. You probably want something like
https://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Bright-Lumen-Maglite-Upgrade-Model/dp/B01N0LAR5R
for only a bit more than you paid for the light. Yea, good for the glovebox. I have a similar 4C Mag setup with good results.

But I got intrigued by this system:
5000 lumen Kit for 2D Maglite
https://asflashlights.com/led-upgrades-for-maglite/107-conversion-kit-for-maglite.html
So you'd be going with THREE Cree XHP-50 emitters and two 26650 li-ion cells, both favorites of mine.

You may be able to add accessories like crenelated bezel, striking heel stud, glass lens, and of course a leather belt loop. Don't forget the intelligent charger for those beastie 26650's.
You will be in the price range of some very powerful lights but you will be STYLING!

PS I'm sure you can Google as well as I but it's fun.

— Brock

Johnnyh

Enlightened

Since you mentioned quality I would be remiss if I didn't suggest you check out
a Malkoff.

wjv

Enlightened

UPDATE:

So I ordered the TerrLux from Amazon because I could not find any drop-ins locally.

xxo recommended looking at Home Depot and since I drive right past one coming home from work, I stopped in. Found the Nite-ize 55 lumen unit. I gave it a try and it did provide a slight improvement. A bit brighter; A bit whiter; A bit more throw.

Two days later the TerrLux showed up. Went to put it in and it would not fit. The diameter of the unit was larger than the hole in the retaining collar nut that holds the bulb in place. I took a large round file and slowly made the hole larger until the TerraLux unit would fit. Then put the whole thing together.

It works very nicely now. Good throw and a nice white beam. I aimed at some houses that I know are 200 meters away and it illuminated them reasonably well. But I wouldn't want to push it much more than that. I'm sure MagLite would rate it at 400+ meters, but realistically a bit over 200 seems to be the max useful range. Which is fine by me. I have other lights for greater distances.

Not sure what the battery life will be, but I suspect it won't be any worse than the 8.5 hours that was claimed using the original Xenon bulb. Probably significantly more. Because it's only a 2D light it probably has to do the voltage step-up so a 3D would have a much longer run time. But whatever it ends up being, I'm sure it will be fine.

Thanks for all the great suggestions!!

Last edited: