PFlexPRO Now Offering Ramping Driver (Crescendo)

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Randy at PFlexPRO is making flashlights with Toykeeper's ramping user interface for mechanical clickies. It is called Crescendo and can work with various emitters except those with low forward voltage because of the direct drive (That's how PFlexPRO describes it). I chose a nickel plated copper module quad XPL Hi 5200K P60 dropin. Using a forward clicky is not a favorite; Using DellSuperman's Judco reverse switch is nice (We did a tailcap remove-and-check Amps. It was pushing 14.3A). This driver seems made for a reverse clicky which is better for a navigation light that is left on for extended time yet different light levels are desired while on the move. Half presses change modes, so less full clicks are used and one would think perhaps less wear on the switch.

It is different yet similar to the electronic switch Emisar family of flashlights. The state of charge indicator is different. As the nights keep happening, more information will be forthcoming. Lot of fun.

Anyone who knows this driver is welcome to comment. I can try to answer questions but this is new to me as well.

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one with Crescendo in my hand right now on a custom 4Sevens Quark 123 with triple xpl hi 4000k done by Charles Wiggins. One thing I don't like is that it does not stop at moonlight and high. I think that may get added. Otherwise its pretty damn cool! Starts on low, can ramp up or down, instant access to turbo...

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
The H17F is great for us enthusiasts who enjoy programming plus desire exact light levels in discrete modes, and in the case of one mode or two mode configurations, it is the way to go. For a flashlight for fighting the bad guys, it is better than Crescendo (opinion) but for 4 or more modes, could be slower and, depending how active a user is in changing modes, a bit cumbersome. I also find the quick-double-click mode gets in the way at times. Programming can be frustrating for some.

Toykeeper's Crescendo UI graph is illustrative but can look a little overwhelming, when it is actually pretty straightforward in practical use.

With a reverse clicky switch:
Full click gives ramping that will cycle up and down (which I like but understand other's preference for stopping at either max or minimum), then it is a half press to pick any light level. To get minimum from off; full click then immediately half press. Maximum can be reached from off by a full click, then allowed to ramp to max (which does not take long) or two quick additional half presses.

While on:
A half press begins the brighter ramping cycle, a half press stops at desired light level. Two half presses is good for when the flashlight is bright and you want to go down in brightness, then half press to stop at a lower level.

Here's greatness:
While navigating, you hear something you want see maximum brightness; three half presses and you get direct drive maximum. One half press from that takes you back to your previous navigating mode.

7 half presses from on gets battery check. One full click from off and 6 half presses gets battery check as well.

Last edited:

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone know how to activate memory function? When switched on, to go at last level as before.
And how to set thermal control?

Last edited:

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one with Crescendo in my hand right now on a custom 4Sevens Quark 123 with triple xpl hi 4000k done by Charles Wiggins. One thing I don't like is that it does not stop at moonlight and high. I think that may get added. Otherwise its pretty damn cool! Starts on low, can ramp up or down, instant access to turbo...

Stop at top is in the code and is an option if you want to reflash the driver. Easiest way would be to just use the shortcuts. Turn on and immediately hit the switch and it will be moonlight. Then turn on and double tap to full, this way you avoid the ramp entirely. That is what I do.

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
Randy at PFlexPRO is making flashlights with Toykeeper's ramping user interface for mechanical clickies. It is called Crescendo and can work with various emitters except those with low forward voltage because of the direct drive (That's how PFlexPRO describes it). I chose a nickel plated copper module quad XPL Hi 5200K P60 dropin. Using a forward clicky is not a favorite; Using DellSuperman's Judco reverse switch is nice (We did a tailcap remove-and-check Amps. It was pushing 14.3A). This driver seems made for a reverse clicky which is better for a navigation light that is left on for extended time yet different light levels are desired while on the move. Half presses change modes, so less full clicks are used and one would think perhaps less wear on the switch.

It is different yet similar to the electronic switch Emisar family of flashlights. The state of charge indicator is different. As the nights keep happening, more information will be forthcoming. Lot of fun.

Anyone who knows this driver is welcome to comment. I can try to answer questions but this is new to me as well.

I did have a read of what he says and regarding the low forward voltage emitters it does make sense. A single XPL2 or 219 for example behind a high drain 18650 will overwhelm the emitter and burn it out. Since you cannot limit the direct drive in programming it would just destroy the emitter.

It is a firmware and not a driver. By the picture he seems to be using a MTN-17DDm as the hardware which is a FET+1. Which is a very good driver by the way. You can run a multitude of firmware on that hardware.

Last edited: