Thrunite crapped out after little use. Looking for a AA light to replace it

TREX3

Newly Enlightened
Something with a Low lumen, Med and Hi, I dont care much if it's a 1 AA or 2 AA

Has to be reliable and preferably made in the USA or at least not China

My light was in warranty and David Chen wont answer emails.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
It was the Chinese New year over there and they pretty much shut things down a few weeks surrounding the week long celebration.

Although I have never had a claim or an issue with reliability, Thrunite has always been good to answer me on even the smallest of questions, perhaps give a little more time.

You'll have to specify your power levels and mode spacing as well as budget in order to avoid getting a broad range of responses.

TREX3

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Lean. Read several reviews on Amazon the one star reviews are in the 8% range so they are putting out some crap now. And based on timelines I am not sure customer service has anything to do with Chinese new Year.

I had a Thrunite Archer 2A and so love the firefly option.

The 3 things I want are reliability, reliability, reliability. Malkoff was out of AA lights and I dont think they had the 1 lumen type output anyways

So to answer I just want a reliable AA light. Firefly would be nice and a couple of higher levels like 50 and 150 lumens.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Strange...when I see an Amazon rating of 4.3/5 and 640+ reviews...that seems to be a decent product. The Archer 1A V1 might have been been more robust, its hard to say. The Youtube reviews beat the living h-e-double hockey sticks (washing machine, shooting it with a cross bow etc) out of the Archer 1AV1 and never failed so that is why I bought a couple of years ago.

If you can live with a low of 8 lumens, the light I would go for next would be the Fenix E12. Alas it is another Chinese light with only one star reviews at 3% out of 496 reviews. ~$30

The Malkoff MDC HA 1AA Flashlight is a little spendy but seems to tick some of your boxes except for outputs .0.3 lumens/8 lumens/90 lumens (Neutral) at $114.00 and in stock.

Last edited:

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have experienced only one Thrunite failure: 14500 has made 1A v3 numb. Was replaced by Thrunite with no questions.

jimbo231

Enlightened
Olight s1a baton...not u.s made but a great light with a low low and can take a 14500 li ion for up too 600 lumens or 220 with a ni-mh......

TREX3

Newly Enlightened
Yep overall 4.3 isnt bad. But lots of 1 star failures lately are bringing the average down and they have my same complaint that Thrunite doesnt respond.

I picked the Thrunite over Fenix and others. I probably used the light on 10 different occasions and it looks brand new.

I sent emails to all 3 of their addresses this time. How long does the Chinese New Year last anyways?

Also I have looked into the Olight1A. We will see what happens

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would be interesting to find out which part failed on your light if possible.

TREX3

Newly Enlightened
Ok Thrunite finally came back from vacation. I have GOT to self identify as Chinese so I can get those long Holidays.

Anyways I went through their test procedures. Based on what I did it wasnt the tail cap or switch. So what does that leave?

Anyways got an RMA and sent back. The acknowledged receipt and today were supposed to have sent me something. I will keep you posted. This process started early to mid Feb

TREX3

Newly Enlightened
Got a new light. Took awhile buut persistence pays off.

Good job Thrunite

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyway, apart from the custom makers (McGizmo, HDS, Peak etc...), you're going to struggle to find an AA light that is made in the USA. The only one I can think of is Maglite.

However, if you want USA developed and owned, but don't mind Chinese made to a very high standard, pick any AA-powered Zebralight. The SC5c mkII would be my choice.