Recommend a multiple AA light

lightseeker2009

Enlightened
Guys and gals.
Ideally I want a 4XAA constantly variable ring controlled flashlight. But it seems nobody makes one.
So I must settle for a 3XAA or 4XAA light with as many as possible power settings.
So I looked at a Eagletac GX30A3D. It would have been perfect if it did not had a diffuser. I see the diffuser does light up even if you just use the main led. Do you get a model without the diffuser? Is the diffuser bothersome? I am scared it might bother me when using the light. If I want to lit up a room I will use ceiling bounce. I do not want this function.

What else should I look at?

I know of quite a number of 4XAA lights, but the difference between levels is too much.
Like it can have settings of 10 lumens, jumps to 50, but then goes to 400 lumens. That is too much of a gap for me then between 50 and 400 lumens. If there were a 200 lumens setting as well, then I would have been sorted.

Can owners of the GX30A3D please let me know how they experience the diffuse, whether it disturb or blind them etc.

Thanks you all.

colight

Enlightened
@Llghtseeker, what about the FD45 which Fenix released recently, or the LD41, although not ring-controlled? Both of those come pretty close to what you require, especially the FD45, and run off of 4xAA.

lightseeker2009

Enlightened
@Llghtseeker, what about the FD45 which Fenix released recently, or the LD41, although not ring-controlled? Both of those come pretty close to what you require, especially the FD45, and run off of 4xAA.

I like the FD45!
Now, I've read it only turns on in turbo mode. Is this true? Then there is no memory function? This will be a deal breaker.

anthon87

Newly Enlightened
I have the Gx30a3d 2017 model (has a improved diffuser)

Diffuser lights up even when not using it, however it doesn't disturb much. But you can use some black tape around it and remove when you need the diffuser

lightseeker2009

Enlightened
I've decided to get the Fenix FD45. So I went to fenix-store.com to buy one. But they are not shipping to South Africa:( I do not blame them though.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try hkequipment.net to see if they will ship to you. Plus you can use their standard discount code HKE80 for a 8% discount.

Last edited:

lightseeker2009

Enlightened
I have the Gx30a3d 2017 model (has a improved diffuser)

Diffuser lights up even when not using it, however it doesn't disturb much. But you can use some black tape around it and remove when you need the diffuser

Hi, I see the new model has a metal ring on top of/ in front, of the diffuser. Is this the model you have? With that metal ring, I wonder if the diffuser still would light up when using just the spotlight?

Flashlike

Enlightened
My favorite 4-AA light is the Thrunite TN4A. They offer it with XP-L (1150 lumen) or XP-L HI (1050 lumen).
I got the XP-L in neutral white. Very solidly built flashlight at a reasonable price -- $49.95 from Thrunite's website.

lightseeker2009

Enlightened
http://www.hkequipment.net/product-p/fd45.htm
It's under Fenix other/accessories.
Don't forget about the HKE80 discount code.
I just bought one:D It was a mission though. The website continued to say "you must select a shipping method" despite me doing just that. Perhaps it's because I am using a tablet at the moment. It seems the site only wanted the third option. It went through at the end. Now its the waiting game...

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's awesome!!!!! I usually order from them even though I can get it in the U.S.A. Their shipping is actually pretty fast.
I hope you enjoy it.
I just bought one:D It was a mission though. The website continued to say "you must select a shipping method" despite me doing just that. Perhaps it's because I am using a tablet at the moment. It seems the site only wanted the third option. It went through at the end. Now its the waiting game...

anthon87

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I see the new model has a metal ring on top of/ in front, of the diffuser. Is this the model you have? With that metal ring, I wonder if the diffuser still would light up when using just the spotlight?

Yes, that is my model.

It lights up slighty, much less than before. But I still have some black tape around it.

PartyPete

Enlightened
I've decided to get the Fenix FD45. So I went to fenix-store.com to buy one. But they are not shipping to South Africa:( I do not blame them though.
My first 4x AA light was a Fenix E41 and it has served me well for many years. It is nearly a perfect light except for the "hold down button for turbo" mode. Otherwise, top notch build and reliability. The fact that it doesn't have a battery cage is a huge plus for me, as I just despise that design.

The FD45 looks pretty solid, if I needed another 4x AA light, that looks like a great choice. Let us know how you like it.

lightseeker2009

Enlightened
My first 4x AA light was a Fenix E41 and it has served me well for many years. It is nearly a perfect light except for the "hold down button for turbo" mode. Otherwise, top notch build and reliability. The fact that it doesn't have a battery cage is a huge plus for me, as I just despise that design.

The FD45 looks pretty solid, if I needed another 4x AA light, that looks like a great choice. Let us know how you like it.

I just pray it gets delivered and that no long fingers touches it on the way...