Flashlights to keep around the house - frequent T-storms cut out lights

HouseBuilder328

Newly Enlightened
I love gadgets and gizmos! I'm looking for a powerful flashlight to keep around the house that uses lithium batteries for shelf storage purposes. I used to have an Inova X5, and recently bought a Fenix PD35 and love it. Use it mostly on high instead of turbo and what a powerful light! Good solid construction.

However, I want to keep a few flashlights around the house, garage and even crawlspace due to our lights going out frequently (very frequent thunderstorm in our area with lightening leading to power outages). Now $70 and up for several Fenix PD35s is pretty expensive for me. Any recommendations on a cheaper LED light with lithium batteries? A friend suggest a Peak Plus from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ECVB6P0/?tag=cpf0b6-20

Johnnyh

Enlightened
You're looking for lithium battery power as opposed to rechargeable lithium ion, is that correct?

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a low cost bright light the Energizer Vision HD 1300 lumen might work.It comes with alkalines but I am using L91 Energizer lithium AAs in mine. Around $25 and decent quality for the money. I would take the claims about the light you linked with a grain of salt. There seem to be an endless number of similar clones and even the name used on the one you listed seems to be a partial knock-off. The vast majority of lights fall into the "you get what you pay for" category so be advised.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Welcome to the site housebuilder.

For storing purposes, those ultimate lithiums are going for about half what they were 2 years ago at places like walmart and target... like 12 for $7 type thing.

If you just want some light when a t-storm pops a fuse down the street, minimag LED's from like walmart or home depot.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Lumintop Tool one cell AAA lights would work well. They would be ideal for a walk-around light with the power off, and work well with lithium primaries. I know because all mine are set up that way. The Streamlight Microstream would be another good small light. Since both are in the $20 range it would not cost a lot to have several available.

Two other things. If power outages are that frequent I would have one or two of the wall outlet standby lights as well, to provide some light in the critical areas until other lighting can be arranged. I would also recommend one or more lanterns for area lighting, as in my opinion they do a better job of that than ceiling bouncing a regular light. I have the Energizer Folding Lantern that takes either four or eight AA cells (eight cells doubles the run time), and it is specially designed to spread the light evenly across the area while still being compact. Nitecore also makes the L-series of lights that are designed to be area lanterns of varying capability. I have a couple of the LA10 ones that make great personal lanterns. They are great as a carry along personal lantern for things light going to bed or the bathroom. They also make a great small area light for areas like the bathroom that don't need a lot of light but should be lighted. Streamlight has the various versions of the Siege lantern as well.

XR6Toggie

Newly Enlightened
For use around the house I'd get something like a Streamlight ProTac or PolyTac. Runs off CR123As so can be kept in a cupboard and forgotten about until you need it. Plenty of light available for indoor use. Otherwise grab a couple of Maglites.

HouseBuilder328

Newly Enlightened
You're looking for lithium battery power as opposed to rechargeable lithium ion, is that correct?

Not necessarily - rechargeable lithium ion is fine also. I just like lithium for the temperature tolerances since I want to keep lights in the crawlspace and garage.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far! Those Streamlight ProTacs do look nice.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
One suggestion. For lights you want to be able to grab in the dark, get some Glow In The Dark (GITD) cording and make lanyards for the lights, then leave them hanging out in the open rather than putting them on a shelf or in a drawer.

snakyjake

Enlightened
The ones I like are those that plug into an outlet to be charged, and when the power is out, the light automatically is on. In addition, you can also choose for the light to automatically come on when it is dark and senses motion. It was also very compact, LED, and the light can be swiveled.

The one I use is no longer made :(
ABSB0077CW7JQ-250x350.jpg

Poppy

Flashaholic
The Lumintop Tool one cell AAA lights would work well. They would be ideal for a walk-around light with the power off, and work well with lithium primaries. I know because all mine are set up that way. The Streamlight Microstream would be another good small light. Since both are in the $20 range it would not cost a lot to have several available.

Two other things. If power outages are that frequent I would have one or two of the wall outlet standby lights as well, to provide some light in the critical areas until other lighting can be arranged. I would also recommend one or more lanterns for area lighting, as in my opinion they do a better job of that than ceiling bouncing a regular light. I have the Energizer Folding Lantern that takes either four or eight AA cells (eight cells doubles the run time), and it is specially designed to spread the light evenly across the area while still being compact. Nitecore also makes the L-series of lights that are designed to be area lanterns of varying capability. I have a couple of the LA10 ones that make great personal lanterns. They are great as a carry along personal lantern for things light going to bed or the bathroom. They also make a great small area light for areas like the bathroom that don't need a lot of light but should be lighted. Streamlight has the various versions of the Siege lantern as well.

The ones I like are those that plug into an outlet to be charged, and when the power is out, the light automatically is on. In addition, you can also choose for the light to automatically come on when it is dark and senses motion. It was also very compact, LED, and the light can be swiveled.

The one I use is no longer made :(
ABSB0077CW7JQ-250x350.jpg

I am also a proponent of Auto ON emergency lights. They can be had for $10 and less. I recommend at least one on each floor, and somewhat centrally located so that they can shine into multiple rooms.

While I have others, I have one each plugged into a short extension cord:
1. on top of the kitchen refridgerator,
2. on top of the entertainment center in the living room.

Regarding having multiple LiIon powered lights around the house, it is hard to beat the convoy S2+
They are about $15 each, and add a $6 battery and you are good to go for 40 hours on low (about 35 lumens). The LiIons can be recharged in your car if necessary.

Last edited:

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
For storing purposes, those ultimate lithiums are going for about half what they were 2 years ago at places like walmart and target... like 12 for $7 type thing.
Hey bykfixer,

This is incredible! Where are you seeing this? I like the Ultimate Lithiums for storage and emergency purposes, but around here they still cost $1.50 apiece the last I knew.

Thanks,
Grijon

tjb

Newly Enlightened
You'll think I'm silly, but ...

Most rooms in my home I've got a fairly strong magnet attached to a drywall screw (not one I put in - just any random high-up screw that's already there under the paint) somewhere high up near a door. Hanging from the magnet is a stream light nano.

Button batteries are a dime a dozen on amazon. Cheap!

Also, if I know we're gonna have weather, I'll fully charge three or four of my big cordless dewalt batteries and leave them in the kitchen. I have three USB adaptors for them (from heated gear I've bought), so those big 5AH batteries are ready for charging flashlights like my TIP, phones, whatever. Works a treat.

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey bykfixer,

This is incredible! Where are you seeing this? I like the Ultimate Lithiums for storage and emergency purposes, but around here they still cost $1.50 apiece the last I knew.

Thanks,
Grijon

Welcome to the site housebuilder.

If you just want some light when a t-storm pops a fuse down the street, minimag LED's from like walmart or home depot.

I saw some Ultimate Lithiums for $1.11 apiece yesterday, my friend - reminded me to ask again where you're seeing those incredible prices :)

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
The "duct tape" section at walmart carries GITD tape now. I bought a roll and used it to put "glow strips" around the base of the lights we hang by both exit doors.
I'm sure it would come in handy for finding "blackout" lights as well.

I'll also throw in that having a headlamp or two can be very handy in those situations. You can do stuff with your hands free, the light moves when you do, and they are great for reading a book to stave off the boredom that can come during a blackout.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Grijon, this past fall I bought a couple of 8 packs at WalMart for the price of 4 packs were a year ago. Some say Target, but my local one isn't one of those.

Once word got out the 8 packs went flying out the door, but due to rechargeables the lithiums don't sell well anymore, so manufacturers are reducing the price they charge the stores and beginning to put out 8 and 12 packs for the price of 4 packs a year ago.... if you can find any left. They'll make more.

My home has Mag LED solitaires hanging on a nail at windows.

Last edited:

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's awesome, bykfixer, thanks for the info!

Unfortunately the stores in my area didn't get the pricing memo...LOL; the Walmarts and Targets around here are still charging $2 or more per cell, with Sam's Club having them for $1.11 apiece.

I'll keep a closer eye on them in the future, though :cool:

Latest posts