Battery Compatibility

jclem

Newly Enlightened
I currently own a Streamlight ProTac HL-X, SureFire P2X Fury, and SureFire 6PX Pro. I just got the Streamlight, but the SureFires sure seem to burn through batteries. So, I was looking into getting the rechargeable batteries from either Streamlight or SureFire.

So, my question is can I use the Streamlight 18650 rechargeable batteries in the SureFire flashlights or going the other way can I use the SureFire 18650 rechargeable batteries in the Streamlight flashlight?

Is one "better" than the other? i.e. does one provide a longer run time, result in a brighter light, etc.

I got a little lost in the technical information that I came across regarding bulbs being rated at 6v and using the rechargeable batteries that are 3.7v vs the supplied 123A batteries that are a combined 6v. Is this even something that I should be concerned with?

Also, are their chargers of equal quality? Both smart chargers that can safely charge batteries that have been depleted at different levels?

matt4350

Enlightened
You won't be able to use 18650 batteries in your 6PX, you will need to get some 16650s (the body is too narrow for 18650). I think this will also be the case with your P2X. I use Keeppower 16650 2500mAh rechargeables in my 6PX and it works just fine, run time is comparable to 2 CR123s and it appears around the same brightness/output.

At a guess, you could use the 16650s in your Streamlight (I've used them in other 18650 lights) but you're sacrificing a little run time if you're comparing it to a 3100 or 3400mAh 18650 battery.

Can't comment on the chargers you mention, I use a Nitecore D4 Digicharger that I'm happy with.

Hope that helps somewhat,

Matt

jclem

Newly Enlightened
Steve... thanks for the information.

I'm new to these batteries and I have heard enough about the risk of fires that it has me a little concerned. What brand of 17670 would you recommend?

Thanks, Jeff