Torch Recommendation

Mark617

Newly Enlightened
  1. 1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?
    I am in the United States, but location of seller is not important (online / mail)

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)
    Up to $200, but if I need the batteries and charger this cuts into said price (I have plenty of AA Eneloop regular / pro batteries and chargers)

3) Format:
    I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained)

4) Size:
    Tiny, Small, or Medium

5) Emitter/Light source:
    I don't know

6) Manufacturer:
    I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box

7) What power source do you want to use?
    Either AA Eneloop Pro batteries (have plenty and a charger) or 18650 (or larger) batteries

7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option
    If I go this route, typical wall wart

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).

____I want to navigate a dark room or read a map (1-10 lumens).
    ____I want an indoor "blackout" light (15-50 lumens)
    ____I want to confidently walk around an unlit/unpaved rural area (60-150 lumens).
    ____I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).
    ____I want to illuminate an entire field, the neighbor's front yard several houses down, impress my friends and neighbors, etc. (300-700 lumens).

X SPECIAL NOTE: Burst/Turbo mode Category - There are several lights that will run at a super bright maximum for a very limited period (usually 5-10 minutes) and then will "step-down" to a lower level for thermal control. Check here if this is acceptable.

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.
    Narrow / Wide Flood & Wide throw. See below for usage. I am basically looking for a good general use, combo type light

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)
    So, this one is complicated. I may have to buy more than one light I realize, but if possible, I am looking for an all-around type torch, something I can use for arm length work up to 150 meters away

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).
    30-120 minutes; run time is moderately important, but I will be using batteries I can recharge, so less run time is not a deal breaker

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.
    Very Important

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):
    While I do not know, I find buttons with membranes like typical keyboards are annoying and I find they always wear out very quickly. I would prefer something more mechanical / "clicky" (anyone who has used Cherry MX mechanical switches knows what I mean, especially Cherry MX Blues)

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.
    I need at least four light levels, low, med, high, and, in memory of Spaceballs, Ludicrous Brightness...for, yes, the cool factor, but also for utility. Selector ring isn't mandatory, but certainly acceptable

14)Material/Finish/Coating
    I don't know, whatever is best for my intended usage

15) Water resistance
    May be used in heavy rain, up to 90 minutes

16) Storage conditions
    Typically stored indoors, though sometimes will be in the car, used hiking / camping etc.

17) Special Needs/extras:

A case or some type of protective "holster" would be nice, but in no way mandatory. Also, if I can get away with a thrower & then a diffuser to meet my short distance needs, then a diffuser too, though I realize I can always buy this separately

----------------------

After reading a lot here at CPF, especially Selfbuilt's stuff, I originally settled on the TN4A (not the HI version) in neutral white. Looking for confirmation / other suggestions if something is better for my intended usage. Also, hello :wave:

XR6Toggie

Newly Enlightened
Malkoff Hound Dog. Puts out a lot of light, is incredibly well made and comes in just under your budget. It offers high/low by twisting the head. The UI has fewer levels than you wanted but I think that high/low on a Hound Dog will cover any uses you have.

jimbo231

Enlightened
The t4na is a very nice light......I second that one....or the eagletac sx30a4 ... similar style light has the HD or hi version as well

Last edited:

Keitho

Enlightened
If you want to show off a bit, the Emisar D4 might be the ticket. It truly has a ludicrous speed, especially for it's small size. For less than your budget, you can also pick up a D1 and a D1S, and Lego together tubes, tailcap, and heads of different colors. The D1 might be the best all-around light---decent throw, a nice spill, and pretty efficient. The D1S is more pure throw, bigger head. All 3 have the same great UI.

ven

Flashaholic
Budget wise, $40 ish, emisar D1 if you want throw bias, D4 for output and flood bias. ~$100 then zebralight are certainly worth a look, awesome tiny lights. $100-$200 then malkoff and pushing it some, but HDS possibly on the used market. Of course , 100's of lights in between them(literally) . Want something a little out of the ordinary, a different driver or LED's for example, little boost over manufactured, check out vinhs work at skylumen.

:welcome:

Mark617

Newly Enlightened
As I look more, I really like the Malkoff "system" of lights. Seems like I can kill all birds with something like an MD4 handle. I really like the flood of the Wildcat (though, most beam shots I see are v5 and prior, not the current v6 version) and then a Hound Dog for more throw, while still providing use at short distances.

Would both a Wild Cat and Hound Dog be overkill, meaning, would the HD on low suffice as a solid flooder? It's hard to simply look at beam shots and or watch videos and get an idea of exactly how it will work for me, specifically. There are always diffuser options I imagine as well.

I know I said $200 budget, but I have learned that on any enthusiast forum when I say I am willing to spend X, I always end up spending 2X :nana: