Bulk soldering strip lights or do good connectors exist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjulson

Newly Enlightened
Hello, new to the forum, although I've been a long time lurker. I'm looking to incorporate an LED strip into a product to be used as a third brake light in an automotive application. Looking at the connectors, they don't look very fault tolerant/robust. I'm wondering if a high quality clip exists that can be waterproofed (IP68) with minimal labor. Or is there a method of soldering hundreds/thousands of these directly that would reduce labor costs, such a jig that holds things in place and allows for rapid changes. Lastly, are there companies you would recommend that would provide the LED per specs of length of LED and length of wire connection? Would prefer US based manufacturing if possible.

Thanks,

Mike

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello, new to the forum, although I've been a long time lurker.
:welcome:
I'm looking to incorporate an LED strip into a product to be used as a third brake light in an automotive application.
The Center High Mounted Stop Lamp (CHMSL), commonly referred to as the "third brake light", is a regulated piece of motor vehicle equipment. It must meet certain photometric requirements that are more complicated than your "LED strip" will be able to replicate.

If you were really going to manufacture CHMSLs in any kind of volume, you'd by now have the sort of experts on your staff that could have explained to you already that you can't just buy random eBay stuff, cram it into an enclosure, and call it a CHMSL. As a manufacturer of automotive equipment, you'd be regulated party subject to (inter alia) 49 USC §30112 "Prohibitions on manufacturing, selling, and importing noncomplying motor vehicles and equipment".

You might be a long time lurker, but I'm not sure you're a long time forum searcher.

This thread is being closed pursuant to CPF Rule 11.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.