Flexible Diffused Tube LED Waterproof Cover

mjulson

Newly Enlightened
I'm working on making a product that uses an LED strip in an exterior automotive space and I've been looking at the daytime running lights such as this. https://www.ebаy.com/itm/2X-60CM-Fl...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Does anyone know where I can source just the cover and ends? (Everything I found on ebay was out of stock) Or this kind of diffused light (tube and led strip, in red with wire ends) in a specific length (about 42")?

Last edited by a moderator:

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're trying to make your own DRLs, don't. DRLs are a regulated piece of motor vehicle equipment, with defined performance characteristics-- both photometrically and in terms of durability.

While there is some latitude in adding decorative lights, it's important that those lights do not interfere with other regulated vehicle lighting, for example, if overly bright they can make a turn signal hard to see-- essentially rendering the turn signal inoperative. They can also cause too much glare in their own right for other drivers. Finally, if you're (as some of the pics on eBay seem to show) opening your vehicle's headlamps and installing them behind the outer lens, you're going to ruin those headlamps.

What is your end goal with these?

mjulson

Newly Enlightened
If you're trying to make your own DRLs, don't. DRLs are a regulated piece of motor vehicle equipment, with defined performance characteristics-- both photometrically and in terms of durability.

While there is some latitude in adding decorative lights, it's important that those lights do not interfere with other regulated vehicle lighting, for example, if overly bright they can make a turn signal hard to see-- essentially rendering the turn signal inoperative. They can also cause too much glare in their own right for other drivers. Finally, if you're (as some of the pics on eBay seem to show) opening your vehicle's headlamps and installing them behind the outer lens, you're going to ruin those headlamps.

What is your end goal with these?

No, not trying to make DRL. I just like the flexibility of the lights commonly used in DRL. I have some applications where I need them to mount in a 30-40" circumference circle (about 15" diameter). I work in off road/buggy/airboat applications. I'm working on brackets/mounts for visibility/accent lighting for mounting underneath wheel wells, rocker panels, fan guards, etc.. some will be LED spots, and others such as what i'm looking for here are for a spread of light. Waterproof is also a key feature.

Appreciate the concern though. Any ideas for this application?

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, not trying to make DRL. I just like the flexibility of the lights commonly used in DRL.
DRLs don't have much flexibility by function: They're used in the Daytime, while Running, as a Lamp to improve conspicuity of a vehicle without interfering with any of the required vehicle lighting functions, such as turn signals. While DRLs aren't themselves required in the U.S., they are still regulated, and have a very specific performance requirements (in fact, except with very specific exceptions, if their nearest lighted edge is within right about 4" of the center of a turn signal, they must extinguish on the side of the active turn signal). They must be white, unless they themselves are of the turn signal type, as well. They also don't have my physical flexibility: They are generally constructed of rigid materials so that their photometric performance remains unchanged and predictable.

I have some applications where I need them to mount in a 30-40" circumference circle (about 15" diameter).
A circle with a circumference of 40" has a diameter of 12.74"; a 30" circumference circle has a 9.55" diameter. Your 15" diameter circle would be about 47.1" around. (diameter x pi = circumference)

I work in off road/buggy/airboat applications. I'm working on brackets/mounts for visibility/accent lighting for mounting underneath wheel wells, rocker panels, fan guards, etc.. some will be LED spots, and others such as what i'm looking for here are for a spread of light. Waterproof is also a key feature.

Most (all?) of these strip-type LED things aren't up to the task that is any motorized vehicle. Vibration and exposure to the elements will make quick work of this sort of thing. You're better off with purpose-built automotive clearance and sidemarker lamps, and things like agricultural work lamps if you want anything that will survive this environment. Like a watch, some of these things are waterproof when there is limited pressure working against them, and limited temperature extremes. The same outdoor rated strip light under an eave of a house will rapidly reveal its weaknesses when attached to a dune buggy or air boat (the prop wash from them can be up to 150mph).

Last edited: