Do you know anything about this kind of LED dimmer?

Joshua_S

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
I need to build a setup, using one 18650 to power up an XM-L LED with dimming control. It is not in a flashlight setup and I just need to build this thing for some special purposes.

I need to control the dimming by turning a knob, so this kind of dimmer/potentiometer came into my mind.
20180302161533.png
The role of led dimmers i guess you guys may already know, long story short, when the voltage changes, controller will make corresponding response, the output current will also change, until the current comes as low as zero, the controller will stop running in the state and bright light emitting will stop, too. The use of this equipment can well protect circuit and prevent the voltage becomes too high (Other knowledge about LED circuit protection can find in http://www.apogeeweb.net/article/29.html)

This is for my research project to study on knob turning application, and I plan to connect the knob turning operation to some indicator (output), says a LED or display. It's a bit difficult to go into details for what I am going to use it for here.

But I don't know anything about this kind of LED dimmer and the product specification doesn't explain clearly, so I have few questions:
1) The rated voltage is 12~24V, so what does it mean? Is it maximum input or output voltage? Can I use a single 18650 (4.2V) as power source (input)?
2) What is the output voltage then?
3) This kind of dimmer controls the current flow (not the voltage), correct?
4) If this is not a good choice, do you have any better suggestion for LED dimming control?

Thanks for reading this.

Joshua_S

Newly Enlightened
4.2v will not work with that dimmer. That dimmer uses PWM to control the brightness of 12-24v LED strip lights. Will also work for motors.

Search for 5v pwm LED controller
Thanks and if that is the case perhaps I should pass it, and i will take the 5v pwm LED controller which you kindly have just suggested into consideration.
I still don't really get that why constant current/voltage is so important in this kind of setup. It's ok if you don't feel like to explain.:p