Olight S2 Baton - Best UI for non-flashaholic

Photon

Newly Enlightened
I recently gave into temptation and purchased an Olight S2 Baton. Yes, I already have dozens of flashlights, and yes, it is yesterday's news. But it looked so compact, and the deep-carry clip looked pretty nice, and the 1/2 lumen, 2 month runtime was just too much to resist.

I find that I like it more than I thought I would.

I like the 1/2 lumen mode (directly accessible from off via long click). My eyes are very sensitive to bright light, and if they are already dark-adapted, 1/2 lumen is just right for up-close use. And, with such low power usage, you can leave it on all night to make it easy to find in the dark. As a side note, I could not detect a trace of PWM at 1/2 lumen using the move-hand-fast method. Maybe Olight figured out how to use very low level current regulation, or maybe the frequency is higher than I could detect; either way I was pleasantly surprised.

But unexpectedly, I find a great appreciation for the simple UI. Not for myself, but it is the perfect UI for a non-flashaholic. Set it to, say, mid-level brightness and give it to anyone. Most people are not technophiles. They don't want to hear "Click three times for this; use that button for on/off and this button for brightness; or click 10 times and the brightness will ramp up..." They want it to work like they expect; click on, click off. Somehow I find this very satisfying.

Last edited:

DavidRZ

Newly Enlightened
I have been tempted by one as well. For some reason I always end up with something else that seems to fill my current need better though. The S1 may be my next purchse, cheap and uses a single AA battery which is perfect for me.

fmc1

Enlightened
If you want to buy a AA powered S series Olight the one you want is the S1A. The S1 is a CR123 powered light. The mode S1A is powered by a AA or 14500. The S2 and the S1A memorize fire fly mode the S1 does not. That's the only UI difference as far as I know. The Thrunite lights also use more or less the same UI as the Olight.

Lbtank

Newly Enlightened
I recently purchased this light and very pleased. The UI is very simple, and the size is perfect for an 18650 light. This light has become my most carried flashlight, because of the size and the runtimes on the low to mid level brightness. It does have decent runtimes on high, but I seldomly have a need to use High.

davemp

Newly Enlightened
The only change or option that I would like to see on the S2 is the clip. I would like a two way clip like the one on the S1 mini Baton. It gives you the option of bezel up or down carry.....davemp

TimeOnTarget

Newly Enlightened
I carry the S2 as my primary work light in my flight kit bag. For the money, it is an excellent light and I concur with your observations. Aren't we lucky to have so many great lights at reasonable prices?

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
I purchased my Olight S2 Baton Feb. 2016 from GG. This item goes with me whenever I have my keys on me, because they are what it is attached to. Much used,
never a bobble.

wolfgaze

Enlightened
and the deep-carry clip looked pretty nice

The style/design of the pocket clips were the one thing I didn't like about the Olight S1 and S2...

My S1 was given away - but for my S2, I took the black pocket flip from my Fenix LD12 and put it on the S2.. It looks way better than with the factory clip (IMHO).

Lumineux

Newly Enlightened
The only change or option that I would like to see on the S2 is the clip. I would like a two way clip like the one on the S1 mini Baton. It gives you the option of bezel up or down carry.....davemp

I've got the same wish for the S1A.