what 'flashing' modes would you have, if any?

sir_guy123

Newly Enlightened
jumping to this section as the discussion is now regarding modifying my torch. if you want my full history look at this thread (started 7 years ago!)

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?325005-I-thought-Maglites-were-the-best

this is the last post from that thread (I'd lost my Xeno E03)

Found it!
underneath a friends sideboard.
so I'm happy, but... in the meantime my parents bought me a torch form Aldi, it's actually quite good, similar to the E03 in size and shape, tail switch, takes 3aaa's but its only one mode and its actually very bright, comparable to the E03 in high mode (NiMH), so no good for preserving your night adapted vision, so I had plans to modify it and put a microcontroler (ATtiny85) in there, and now I don't want to stop, I've got the microprocessor ordered and the MOSFETs are already here, I've got the code written (Arduino IDE) for 4 brightness modes but am now considering strobe modes...
probably best to start this as a new thread on the modification forum.

so here I am!

what I'm interested to know is do any of you actually 'want / use' 'strobe / flashing / SOS etc' modes? or are they something everyone just cycles through?

also what 'one button' user interface do you find best?

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find Disco modes a pain in the bott, if i cannot program them out I won't use the light. I can imagine that they could be just dangerous in certain situations.
Favourite one switch UI has to be HDS, each separate level is reached by one click, two clicks etc with click and hold for momentary.
p

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great questions!

Always thought strobe might come in handy but truly never actually needed it. SOS, well that is for emergencies right? But really, it seems something else can be done rather than putting a flashlight on that blinky. Maybe you will use this flashlight with a bike? There are some flashing-for-attention modes to do that but it is unlikely I would ever use it. Cycling through disco modes is a no-go for me now. If they can be well hidden then no biggie.

Developer Toykeeper has a great ramping 'one button' user interface but the electronic switch firmware is more efficient than the mechanical reverse clicky UI. The Emisar flashlights use electronic switch and Crescendo (open source by Toykeeper) is another good ramping UI with other handy features like battery status and thermal control.

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've only one torch with a strobe, it's an old DX Extreme model from probably 6 years ago.

I'm a bit more practical, I want my torches to either start at 100%, or a simple 3-speed starting at low. Personally don't have any use for a strobe feature.

Was considering getting that Emisar torch just to use TK's firmware. She does good work!

*edit, found a photo
G0neGS.png

DavidRZ

Newly Enlightened
Rotary like the HDS with a separate button that would actuate strobe. While I never intend to need strobe, in a self defense situation it would be ideal.

I actually like the Quark Smart as it has the strobe function accessible by the end cap.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like having a "location marker" flash option, and I can see the potential of the "SOS" modes, but only if they are well hidden against accidental activation.

In the early days I was a fan of the "disco strobe" and found it was super-effective in dealing with drunks, but beyond that it seemed really ineffective for anything else and it has fallen out of favor with me personally. Also, any light that -has- to click through a strobe or signal mode when you cycle it gets demerits in my book.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
In fact, if you do a little research, it is suggested that strobe is more of a hazard than a help in dafensive situations. There's a few threads on here about it.
P

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me personally, I cannot imagine ever wanting to initiate a strobe mode. I've built and used a number of lights both personally and professionally and the only one that's ever had any strobe or pulsing mode was a contract job where the customer was quite specific about what they wanted.

That said, I can imagine some applications where certain strobe modes could be desirable; I just don't ever expect to find or place myself in such a situation.

If I were an extreme adventurist, and could see being lost and/or disabled in a wilderness situation, an SOS mode that could run for many hours or days might be of interest.

In some night or 24-hour events, I could see a location beacon being useful. Short pulse, long interval.

Strobes are somewhat popular with divers. I've never seen the usefulness. If you are very far away, you can't see it. If you are close enough to see it, you probably don't need it. There's a pretty narrow range where you can both see it and need it.

Maybe other folks have other applications where various pulse/strobe modes would be useful, but to me, they should be able to be hidden or disabled.

Keitho

Enlightened
I'd find a variable output bicycle strobe mode helpful (constant on "medium", flash every 1 to 2 seconds on a higher level). I don't use it often when cycling, but find it useful during sun glare times on the road. I would use it more often if I could find one where I could turn down the flash power from turbo to something more condition-appropriate.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are right there, K.
There's a few bikes round here that use turbo flash at night, and as a driver it's very distracting, mesmerising even.