PLANETBIKE TOUCH800 TEST/DYNO LITE COMPARO

1nterceptor

Newly Enlightened
I think this might be one of the first; if not the first time a test was done with dynamo & battery lights tested at the same time.
I've seen photos & videos of each by themselves. But with this video; I'm attempting to show how both lights compare to each other side by side:

<span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12.48px; background-color: rgb(201, 200, 198);">

USB rechargeable Touch800 lumen light vs. Edelux II dynamo light and some other battery powered lights; Planetbike Beamer, Niterider Lumina Flare, Lezyne Megadrive.
Most video clips and photos were taken with an Akaso Brave 4 sports cam. Click "Show more" for full description.
0:00 Light comes with an USB charging cable and mounting strap.
0:05 operation is possible with Castelli winter cycling gloves. Lightly lined, wind and waterproof.
0:23 Mount light then loop strap to hook on other end.
0:40 Switch is operated by sliding finger; forward for "ON" and to shift modes(day/fast flash, slow/courtesy flash, high steady, medium steady, low steady).
Swipe backward to switch light off.
1:05 Left to right; Niterider Lumina Flare, Lezyne Mega Drive, Planetbike Beamer, Planetbike Touch800.
1:15 Wall shots on a short gray shipping container/ trailer, Touch800 on handlebar.
1:17 Low steady.
1:19 Fast flash.
1:23 Slow flash.
1:27 High steady.
1:30 Medium steady.
1:33 Low steady.
1:39 Edelux II mounted by the forks of a Brompton M3L. Running off a Shimano hub dynamo. Akaso Brave 4 cam mounted by the handlebars.
1:44 Edelux II on by itself. Ground shots.
2:00 Wall shots with Edelux II on, while I run the Touch800 through it's modes.
2:11 Touch800 and Edelux II both on for ground shots.
2:30 Wall shots repeated. In the middle of the trailer is a Demano messenger bag and a tall(24 oz.) Polar waterbottle.
3:18 Touch800 on the left; Planetbike Beamer(runs on two AA batteries) at the right.
Thanks BFold of New York City for lending it for this comparison
3:23 Touch800 on the left; Niterider Lumina Flare(USB charging) at the right.
3:28 touch800 at the left; Lezyne Mega Drive(USB charging) at the right.
3:33 Planetbike Touch800 helmet mounted.

Test rider: 1nterceptor. Test site: various locations in New York City. Test bike: Brompton M3L. Test conditions: slightly below freezing temperature.
Test prices: Planetbike Touch800 US$100, Edelux II US$175 + fork mount US$10 + Dynamo Wheel w/ Shimano Hub for Brompton US$150, Planetbike Beamer US$18,
Niterider Lumina Flare US$80(discontinued) , Lezyne Megadrive US$200.

Touch800 full specifications:
https://www.planetbike.com/store/prod...

Cree XPL LED provides high, medium and low power beam along with Courtesy™ & Superflash™ modes
FL1 Tested – Run times: 2.2 hrs (high - 800 lm), 4.5 hrs (medium - 420 lm), 9.2 hrs (low - 220 lm), 30 hrs (Courtesy™ 150-240 lm) and up to 40 hrs (Superflash™ 550 lm)
Amber side lights provide 240° of visibility
Highly visible, even in daylight
Dust & water resistance rated to IP66 standard
Panasonic 3350 mAh lithium ion battery charges in 5 hours with micro USB cable (included)
Smart Charging Technology™ with built in low battery indicator
Integrated Flex Mount™ adjusts or removes without tools
Includes Lockout mode
142 grams

modify_inline.gif

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks for putting that together!

I'm mostly a user of dynamo lights, but the Touch800 does look like a nice light. The "touch" controls are impressive, at least in terms of the technical challenges of that sort of sensor. I assume that it's capacitive?? Nice that it works with gloves. Does it do anything that a more conventional pushbutton switch wouldn't? I can imagine that it could last for more switch cycles, but my guess is that bike lights don't generally get used enough to wear out the switches.

The demonstration of the Edelux II light was of interest to me too. My dynamo lights are homemade, so I haven't seen the Edelux in action before. I'd heard comments that the beam is fine when riding straight ahead, but annoying when turning, but didn't appreciate what it really meant until seeing your video. Boy, the horizontal cutoff really does affect what you can see in a corner!

and on a trivial note... I like the idea of a "courtesy" mode, especially in places with a lot of bike or pedestrian traffic. Seeing "Courtesy" with a trademark behind it surprises me a bit.... but I'm sure that Planet Bike would only want to protect it as a trademark in the context of bike lights. Still, I'd like to see the idea of being courteous with bike lights spread further. Maybe a "don't be a jerk" mode for other manufacturers??

1nterceptor

Newly Enlightened
thanks for putting that together!

I'm mostly a user of dynamo lights, but the Touch800 does look like a nice light. The "touch" controls are impressive, at least in terms of the technical challenges of that sort of sensor. I assume that it's capacitive?? Nice that it works with gloves. Does it do anything that a more conventional pushbutton switch wouldn't? I can imagine that it could last for more switch cycles, but my guess is that bike lights don't generally get used enough to wear out the switches.

The demonstration of the Edelux II light was of interest to me too. My dynamo lights are homemade, so I haven't seen the Edelux in action before. I'd heard comments that the beam is fine when riding straight ahead, but annoying when turning, but didn't appreciate what it really meant until seeing your video. Boy, the horizontal cutoff really does affect what you can see in a corner!

and on a trivial note... I like the idea of a "courtesy" mode, especially in places with a lot of bike or pedestrian traffic. Seeing "Courtesy" with a trademark behind it surprises me a bit.... but I'm sure that Planet Bike would only want to protect it as a trademark in the context of bike lights. Still, I'd like to see the idea of being courteous with bike lights spread further. Maybe a "don't be a jerk" mode for other manufacturers??

Only had the Touch800 for less than a year; so can't really say more about the long term reliability of the touch/swipe switch. Compared with the Niterider Lumina Flare & Lezyne Meg Drive that I had for a few years - the swipe switch is really nice to use.
Just like the other lights; Touch800 also indicates the battery level. I know Cygolite has a similar slow flash/low to med setting on some of their tail lights. Not sure about their headlites; never owned/used any.